Thread: DShould I wait to expand until I get more generals?

Default DShould I wait to expand until I get more generals?

I have all the troops needed for expansion but have few generals to lead them. Does this normally occur? I mean no one has had a kid in like 30 years. I wonder if the family can just die off hehe. I could take generals from internal settlements but is this a good idea or should all settlements have a general to lead them? Senate demands that I take settlements but I just don't have enough generals to lead them.

Default Re: DShould I wait to expand until I get more generals?

1. To get more generals you should :
    - build more " fertile " temples ( if possible )
    - use bribing ( bribe enemy generals , better good one )
    - also keep in mind that generals have a better chance of having children if they stay in town ...
    2. You can also send army without a F.M. , and after a succesful battle you'll have a chance of captain lead your army be adopted to your family ...
    3. Read the guide about the generals ( in RTW guides ).
    Hope that helps

Just send your troops out. You're almost guaranteed to get a "man of the hour" fighting without a general, anyway. Pretty much everytime I fight without one I get one.

Yeh, just send them out - it doesn't make much difference for you anyway
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

The game has a family size regulator built into the game. Basically if you have ~50 percent or less in family members compared to number of cities, your faction will be little bunny rabbits. Between ~50 to ~75 percent you will get a modest amount of new family members. Above 75 percent the new family members will trickle in. And if you have the same amount of generals or more to the number of cities, the woman in the family cut everyone off ............. How RUDE!!!!!!!!!

Anyways if your desparate to get back to breeding the quickest solution is get a protectorate as its cities count as yours as far as the breeding program goes and victory conditions. Or you can do it the fun way take the cities for yourself and shortly the woman will........................

Also it appears the game aims for a minumum of 5 family members so those small factions are'nt cut short right from the beginning...... or should I say cutoff.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Is it possible to remedy this ridiculous restriction either by changing a data file or through modding?

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

No don't think so.

Would have made for a better game , if you could assasinate family trees like in MTW, now you will have to count on the AI to put all of it's fam. members in one stack and then lose, you don't really have any other chance

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

In my current campaign as the Carthaginians, my womenfolk are evidentally too busy knitting to find husbands. I've had something like 8 'Lady Doodah is now past childbearing age and has been shipped off to the big retirement temple/basket weaving centre'. Still, hearing the 'sigh' when you look at the scroll is quite amusing.
    It's not like I've been too choosy either, they're just not attracting any suitable husbands. One had the cheek to bring home 3 55+ year old fellas in 3 turns, and then promptly reach the 'past childbearing' age. I've only seen this event happen once in all my previous campaigns, so something peculiar is going on here I think. Or maybe it's just a cosmic probability rebalance going on...
    Anyway, I'll have to start shipping off troops with no family member to try and up the gene pool via the Man of the Hour event I guess.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

I think the game always picks the oldest female family member for marriage proposals, so if you keep refusing her candidates, the other females won't be getting married either. Then once the old hag is past childbearing age, the next oldest one has grown old too and won't be presenting you any good candidates either.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

The more regions you control, the more family members you get, that much is certain. I'm pretty sure protectorate cities you have under your control counts towards the total also. I had an experimental campaign back in January, where I had lots of resources but only 3-4 settlements. My family tree was limited and ageing. I then got Seleucid and the Britons to become my protectorate, and possibly another faction I can't remember which one. Suddenly I had over 35 regions under my control, and new adoptions and family members were being born nearly every turn until I had well over 20 family members in total. When I gave the Seleucids some money to stop being my ally, I had less regions under my control now and no new family members. I suppose the game needs to limit things or you could in theory end up with 200+ family members by 14 AD or whenever the game ends. Not having any more births just because your empire is small is a bit crap though. Maybe there should be more births, but far greater chances of them dying young.

And to answer the original question: move on and expand, even without generals. Your men will take charge of things until a new general pops out of some filthy Roman lady's womb.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

You should expand without generals. Just don't expand too fast, or else you will end up with lots of settlements and nobody to govern them (governors aren't necessary, of course, but they can increase income and population loyalty, and they allow you to set the tax rate).
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    No don't think so.

Would have made for a better game , if you could assasinate family trees like in MTW, now you will have to count on the AI to put all of it's fam. members in one stack and then lose, you don't really have any other chance

From some of the posts I have read about stupid AIs, this isn't exactly a rare occurance.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    From some of the posts I have read about stupid AIs, this isn't exactly a rare occurance.
    When fighting the gauls once, I killed their faction leader and two other family members in one battle. Now getting all the family members in one battle would be pretty hard.