Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a new campaign map.

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Default Re: Making a new campaign map.

Delete the radar map pictures. Then the map will adjust itself, although you'll be seeing only a rough outline of land, sea and provinces (no terrain)
    I'm still not here

so you mean that the map will be there but you cant go to the places the radar map doesnt show or can you? since there is a way of editing that thing in the bottom with radar map and other buttons(strat map HUD) there must be some way to fix the radar map...
    Native America TW - Skinner and Modellers, JOIN NOW!

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

You can. If you remove the radar map picture from campaign folder, the minimap adjusts itself to the size of your map. The only drawback is that you don't see the terrain - just province borders, grey land and blue sea. It's much simpler than editing the interface :)
    I'm still not here

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by eadingas
    You can. If you remove the radar map picture from campaign folder, the minimap adjusts itself to the size of your map. The only drawback is that you don't see the terrain - just province borders, grey land and blue sea. It's much simpler than editing the interface :)
    I didn't know.
    Thx for the info.

Only one more question: in fact the map will be deformed, won't it?
    I mean, the farther from the original size, the more deformation in the "radar_map". For example a new map with 156x255 will be converted into another with 255x156 to fit the window.
    (Sorry if it is impossible to understand).

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

It will be squashed up yes.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

I read that other mods (such as RTR) have longer waits while the AI thinks. Most probably because they have increased the map. Think about this when making a new map. You don't need to add the maximum of provinces, larger isn't always better.

Please help me when i make a new provience it goes back to the selection window it said it can not find (place1) in script
    that is what i named the new region please help i did every thing

Post the exact text of the error you get when you quite the game, I might be able to help. (remember to delete map.rmw or the error will not appear)

Default My two denarii

I see there are many people here having problems with campaign map editing, so I'd just like to offer this as proof that it is possible - I only read this thread for the first time last week and here I am with an almost finished campaign map already. I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who posted in this thread (and this thread and this thread, as they were also helpful) as I've found it extremely useful

My campaign map is an enlarged version of Sicily (one of the most inflammable areas in the imperial campaign) that starts in 264BC at the start of the First Punic War. There are three factions (all playable); the Romans (the senate), Carthage and the Greek Cities. The central regions of the map are owned by the rebels at the start. Carthage starts with lots of regions, but their eastern settlements are undeveloped with small garrisons. Rome starts with developed towns, but only 3 regions. Syracuse (the Greeks) starts somewhere in the middle.

Here are some shots (click to enlarge):

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/carthage1_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/carthage2_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/carthage3_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/greece1_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/senate1_thumb.jpg

All that really remains to be edited is the heights (map_heights.tga) and the ground types (ground_types.tga) before the map is almost finished.

My advice to people having problems is don't give up, and only make small, reversable changes wherever possible (where not possible always backup).

Thanks all,

Dom

Good work! I have read somewhere of how to add new ground types - so is it possible to add any kind of new textures? I am making a map and I want to hae some black rocks...

Anyway - I though we had to do all of the tga files before being able to run them. Did you atcually idd not do the heights TGA or did you just create one with black - land and blue - water? Can you please send those tga files to me so that I can have help for my own campaign ( I am having trouble with heights and roughness). My email is : denizar@gmail.com . Also does CTF mean shutting the program and returning to desktop - like "cut to desktop"?

Sorry - there was a slight problem wih the Guilds Database - it said I don't know why - it posted the post thee times. Can someone please delete two of those. Thanx.

CTD stands for Crash To Desktop

You don't need to finish all the heights, just make a basic one with RGB 1 1 1 for land and blue for the rest

Get it running, and then add things Never do too much at once.

definetely. Are you guys sure that you do not require 1.2 version of the game for making new campaigns?

As Myddraal said, I just used an RGB 1 1 1 for land and blue for sea in map_heights.tga while I was working on the factions and regions. Ground_types.tga allows different land types to be assigned but I don't know if the textures that are applied by the game (eg: desert, mountain, etc.) can be changed. While I was concentrating on other aspects of the map I just left ground_types.tga as all one colour (I forget which one but it is a light green) - the colour for basic farming plains (this is what you see in the first screenshots). So in answer to your question yes all the tgas must be present but I left them "blank" until I needed to change them - always change as little as possible in one go. I made this map with no patches on my game.

Anyhow, I did some heights and ground types editing last night. Here are some more screens (click to enlarge):

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/screen1_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/screen2_thumb.jpg

Removed: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vingilot/sicily/screen3_thumb.jpg

This is only a small amount of work on the heights so far they will be better later...

Arrgh!
    I just can't get anything to work! It either CTD or returns to the select provincial campaign screen. I delete map.rmw, and to make sure I even made a new map all from the beginning. There are some things I suspect that might be causing the problem here they are;

1 - I delete the faction names totally form the descr_strat (playable etc..) Becasue in Sons_of_mars campaign, they do not have the names of factions that do not occur anywhere.

2 - To make sure that I correctly place the armies, I put them all in one city. I delete some of the units so that the number of units does not extend 20, so they fit. I do not change any character names. I put the admirals on sea

3 - I have no sea present in this new campaign - is sea required?

4 - I have two cities only. But they are far away from each other. Is there a limit to the distance between two factions? And does this cause CTD?

5 - How do you put the descr_regions_and_settlement_names.txt I do it directly

Province 1
    Province 2
    Settlement 1
    Settlement 2

And the one in text folder

{Province 1} Province 1
    {Province 2} Province 2
    {Settlement 1} Settlement 1
    {Settlement 2} Settlement 2

With three tabs in between.

6 - In the descr_regions.txt is there a limit to the farming points (My max is 16)

7 - Do you need to place ALL exisiting resources on the map? I did not put any gold - silver so that I did not have to have them placed.

Anyway, these are just what comes to my mind now. I have one more question - where might I learn how to change faction banners? (Not in battle map on the top of units but the ones that appear on the screen when loading etc... )

Ahh!

I was reading Duke Johns post somewhere - and it says that a map won't work if you do not have the senate and britons!!! I will try to add them and see if it works..

1. If a faction is mentioned once, it should be mentioned everywhere. However it does not need to be mentioned at all, which is what I understand you to be doing there - removing completely the excess factions. So that should be fine.

2. As long as you haven't edited anything else, it should be fine.

3. I thought you said you put the admirals on sea? Now there's no sea? Which is it? You can delete the admirals completely if you like to be on the safe side. You can have an all-land map no problem.

4. It can cause AI issues apparently, but it shouldn't be causing a CTD.

5. Apart from the actual localisation text, you should not have any whitespaces in the names. Generally you'd replace them with underscores. So what you wrote should/could be:

Province_1
    Province_2
    Settlement_1
    Settlement_2

And the one in text folder

{Province_1} Province 1
    {Province_2} Province 2
    {Settlement_1} Settlement 1
    {Settlement_2} Settlement 2

6. There would be a limit, but probably not one that would cause a CTD if you went over - I'd imagine it'd just round the value down to its max. If you want to be on the safe side, check the default regions file and see what the max farm value is there, and use that.

7. You can have absolutely no resources if you want.

You also don't need the Senate/britons to get a campaign map to load. However to have the full functionality of playing in a campaign, you must have both the Senate faction and the region Latium (with the city of Rome). Otherwise you'll get a CTD when you try to bring up the faction information screen (say to view diplomacy). But the map itself will work fine.

I'd say #5 is your problem, or at least part of it.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

your main problem is that you've deleted all the faction entries in descr_strat. In the list at the top, you must mention the factiosn you using (in the playable/non-playable/unlockable) lists.

OK

ı am sorry I did not place the underscores on the post , however, I have them on the real thing. The resources I will delete all and try again, and I will make all the farm point same something like 10. I re edited my whole campaign map, and now I don't get CTD, but it returns to the selection screen. I sent you a mail Myrddraal, with the new files.If you can check it I will be very happy.

All the factions that are not included in the game, I deleted : I know this won't cause the problem since they used it in Sons_of_Mars.

One more thing : I removed ALL admirals and the units in.

By the way if I do have region latium but not the city of Rome - another name - will it work?

I use -show err but it doesn't seem to work. I do not get an error when I load the campaign and it returns to the selection screen : I quit no error message around

Offff

It is no way going to work

You mut not be using the show err properly, it always return an error message (when you quit the game) if it returns to the campaign selection screen.

I will have a look at the files, but I've got a lot to do, especially as I promised to get the four turns a year script released...

I have started a thread in the forge for my sicilian campaign: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44618

Denizar - it seems to me as though you have changed the entire campaign map all in one go to make your own. This is what I did first time and I had so many problems I had to start all over again. I recommend downloading the "template" stripped down campaign map by Duke John here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39773 Then edit things one step at a time and test the map every time you make a change so you know exactly what is causing the problems when they occur.

Also, I have been able to get a map to work without the senate or britannia present but i cannot make it work with any other roman faction other than the senate (perhaps Latium and Rome are required if other roman factions are present).

When editing the climate and feature maps, should I edit them first and then resize them? Or should I resize them and then edit? Either way it seems very difficult to make sure I don't accidently put some trees in the mediterranean sea! Also, has anyone been able to get a completely new map up and running. One that doesn't CTD after the first turn...

Just wondering if it can really be done.

Citizen

In my opinion it is better to resize first, but you could edit first then resize so long as you have the resize set to "nearest neighbour" not "bicubic".

Putting trees in the sea will not mess the game up or even cause any problems so far as I know. To make the coast on your map_ground_types.tga map correspond with the coast on map_regions.tga: For this example assume map_regions.tga = 100x60. Resize map_regions.tga to 201x121 (twice the size +1 pixel) and select all > copy. Paste into a new layer on map_ground_types.tga. You can then draw round the coast onto map_ground_types usind the new layer as a template. When you are finished delete the layer with the enlarged map_regions.tga on it.

If your map is CTD after the first turn try making sure that the settlement culture in descr_regions.txt is the same as the faction_creator in decr_strat.txt or that there are no AI land units in the sea or navies on the land. These were two things that I found to cause the CTD after first turn.

In my opinion it is better to resize first, but you could edit first then resize so long as you have the resize set to "nearest neighbour" not "bicubic". Read a few posts up and you will see some shots of my Sicily campaign that is currently fully playable though not yet quite finished. Don't worry it is possible, just keep at it and you will get there eventually.

Spoonfrog you're beautiful
    i started a thread called ' an unusual problem ' the game kept crashing after one turn, and nobody seemed to know why, i think

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog
    If your map is CTD after the first turn try making sure that the settlement culture in descr_regions.txt is the same as the faction_creator in decr_strat.txt
    this will actually take care of the problem. i wasn't watching for that, and i'm quite certain i have a few instances where this could have occured.

thanks alot mang

Westeros is coming

Quote Originally Posted by RomanCitizen321
    Also, has anyone been able to get a completely new map up and running. One that doesn't CTD after the first turn...

Just wondering if it can really be done.

Citizen
    Yes check out any major mod, they all have new maps.

If you can't get it to work, send the files to
    the.mad.toad@gmail.com
    PM when you send it. I will have a look and see if I can help...

Anyone got any idea why my map_faction.tga files aren't working? They were just copies from the imperial campaign, but i edited them (didnt change the size or anything) and now they are not displayed on faction selection.

Also does anyone know how to add a description to the provinicial campaign. I have tried adding {MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR}blablabla to campaign_descriptions.txt and MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR to lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt but no luck.

I haven't tried so I don't know, but I haven't seen a place for them to go...

I bought the original game and reinstalled it. My map worked :)

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog
    Anyone got any idea why my map_faction.tga files aren't working? They were just copies from the imperial campaign, but i edited them (didnt change the size or anything) and now they are not displayed on faction selection.

Also does anyone know how to add a description to the provinicial campaign. I have tried adding {MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR}blablabla to campaign_descriptions.txt and MY_CAMPAIGN_DESCR to lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt but no luck.
    I've never found a problem with those maps. Are you sure that you saved them as tga? Did you check the exact name of the faction? Did you save them in the correct folder?

I didn't succed in adding a campaign description . Only faction descriptions for the provincial campaign.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast