Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a new campaign map.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Making a new campaign map.

Heres an idea, check the setting you saved the tga's with the orginial. Are they compressed? are they 32 bit?

They are definately tgas I'm not very skilled with photoshop I'm not sure how to check whether the originals in the imperial are 32bit or not but I know I saved mine as 32bit. I have managed to get the radar maps to work alright, so this is strange...

It should be 24 bit compressed i think

you know i take that back spoonfrog you're not beautiful, that didn't solve my problem.... ok you're still beautiful, but my problem remains. check out
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...712#post712712
    if you could help that would be great. but the reason i came back to this thread.

does anyone here know the maximum size a campaign map can be?
    thanks

Westeros is coming

Is it possible to change the way towns of certain factions appear in the campaign map? Ie: is it possible to create a new "town set"for a faction, or are we stuck with the ones that appear currently in the game?

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

What have others tried in relation to descriptions for Provincial Campaings? The obvious files to edit are campaign_descriptions.txt and lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt, but maybe there is another file somewhere? menu_text_descr.txt has these
    UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_TITLE
    UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELECT
    UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_DESCRIPTION
    UI_PROVINCIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELECT_FACTION
    mentions of the Provincial Campaign, and we can see the field which says "NO DESCRIPTION", so there should be a way to add a description. My guess is that there is another file.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Data/text/campaign_descriptions.txt

This file links the lookup names in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt so for example:

in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE
    IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR

and in campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE}Seleucids
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR}The death of Alexander the Great brought dissolution to his empire almost before his corpse was cold. It may have been the largest empire the world had ever...

The names must match in order for the game to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog
    Data/text/campaign_descriptions.txt

This file links the lookup names in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt so for example:

in lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE
    IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR

and in campaign_descriptions.txt you will find:

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_TITLE}Seleucids
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_SELEUCID_DESCR}The death of Alexander the Great brought dissolution to his empire almost before his corpse was cold. It may have been the largest empire the world had ever...

The names must match in order for the game to understand.
    spoonfrog does this mean you've been able to get a description to show up, for the provincial campaign other than 'No Descrition'???

and the file lookup_campaign_descriptions.txt, dosen't do anything, i don't think, i've was able to include faction descriptions into the game without including anything into the lookup file. i cannot however get anything to show up for the provincial campaign description, even with including it in the lookup file

Westeros is coming

No, I don't know of anyone who has managed to get the provincial campaign description to show up. I don't think it is possible at the moment.

I don't think so either...

Hey guys, As you can see I'm new here..... I had the brilliant idea to jump into the RTW modding scene headfirst by starting a new campaign map for a Rise of Rome mod I'm working on.

I read all the guides and as far as I can tell I've done everything right.... except the map still won't load.

If someone hw=ere with a little more experience in these matters would like to help me debug the map I'd be eternally grateful... I'm at my wit's end!

Here are a few specs"

-dimentions 281 by 156
    -roughly 57% land
    -tga dimentions have been triple checked
    -character names reworked... these work in custom battles
    -hundreds of new provinces with ports and capitals (these all check out in the TiME editor)
    -no resources yet
    -no mercenaries yet
    -For a while, the map would crash back to the campaign screen, but for no apparent reason it now crashes straight to the desktop without any error message
    -I thought that perhaps there was't enough dry-land on the map, so I added a large stripe of solid land to the far right side just as a test... it still won't work
    -I have both Rome and Latium present
    -no characters/resources/wonders are located on innapropriate terrain

If anyone can help me with this I'd be overjoyed... I hope to be able to continue work on my mod, but this has slowed me down, to say the least!

I can send the campaign files if anyone should have the desire to take a look at them...

I know how you feel I'm having the same problem with a campaign map I'm working on at the moment. Feel free to send me the files and I will have a look - perhaps it will help me to look at someone else's problems lol. I'll pm you my e-mail address.

Hi and welcome to the forums, do you use msn?

Send me the files to the.mad.toad@gmail.com and I'll look through them for you...

Any luck you guys??? I think its probably a problem in the tgas... I'm going to look through them again ASAP, ut I've re-checked them so many times, I don't really know what could be wrong.

I think its more likely a problem with the text files... I haven't had time to take a proper look yet but I promise I will soon :)

Sorry for the delay Teucer, I've looked through you files and let me say one important thing. you've tried to do far far too much in one go. You should do it bit by bit so that you can find errors easily.

map_regions.tga:
    There are hundreds of towns in contact on the edge of a province. In contact with the sea or with another province. This will cause errors, though not the error your getting I think. There are also ports in contact with several provinces, and I think there was one enclosed port on one of the islands to the west of the meditaranean.

map_features.tga:
    You have left gaps where you should have put fords. Check the existing ones for examples.

Here are some tips to help you find the error:
    Back up your files then reduce it to the most basic type - make ground types all grass, remove all factions but two (senate and another one) and remove all settlement entries apart from two (the ones you give to those two factions) as this will mean that all settlements will default to villages with 0 pop. Get rid of all features etc etc.

Then see if it works. If it does, then implement the parts bit by bit till you find the errors. I know this seems like a lot, but its the only way. You'll never find the error(s) in the amount of work you've done.

I concur.

Oh yes and I forgot that you have a province in the north which has no town and no entry in descr_regions.txt

Having said that, your map does look very interesting, keep going and don't give up Is it for a mod or just stand alone?

Hey thanks guys... I'm taking your advice with some success... it still won't run, but I've fixed a lot of bugs.

As for the map, its for a project I've been working on myself for a while, but I may go public with the mod once I have the map up and running. The setting is italy around 500 BC, just after Rome thrw out the kings and established the Republic.

Aosta Mac Tíre Member WhiteWolf's Avatar

Hello I have followed the guide and I must thank everyone who has put this together as it has been very helpful however I seem to have run into some trouble here. I am trying to get my campaign map working but currently stumped as to just where my error is. I did a little additon to my ground types map and tried to relode and it CTD so I went back and brought my backup back (which was working btw) and now all I seem to get is CTD and no rwm generation either. I dont suppose someone would perhaps be willing to help a fellow out, Im afraid all I have to offer is my gratitude

thanks
    Chomh sean leis an cheo agus níos sine faoi dhó.
    As old as the mist and older by two.

hmm i had a similar problem and have no idea how to fix i had to basically restart mine again maybe someone else can offer more constructive help but on another note u aren't a David Gemmell fan are u(looking at ur name WhiteWolf). if so the u have to check out our Drenai mod at http://s10.invisionfree.com/Drenai_Total_War/index.php? if u aint a gemmell fan check it out anyway cheers.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Make map_ground_types.tga all one colour (I use the high-fertility green, but it doesn't really matter so long as it isn't mountains or sea), divide your map into two regions, owned by the senate and Britannia and go from there.

If you say your backup was previously working but you went back to it and now it doesn't work, it must be the case that you didn't backup EVERY file, or you haven't used the backup correctly. There are so many things that could potentially go wrong with this - it is very hard for anyone to help you, even when you have given details like yours.

If you're really stumped after having tried the above, send me the files and i will look through them

I presume you're using the show_err switch and it's giving you nothing?

Try checking all the map files to make sure that there aren't any tiles that are given as sea in one but land in another. Also think back to the changes you've made since it last worked: is map_ground_types the only thing you've changed? Have any txt files been altered?
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

HI i AM MAKING A NEW MAP completely redrawed all the maps , so far I made

heights

roughness

climates

terrain

region map with 5 regions

now I need to make the text files to make it work , could u help me telling me what files I should edit now and how?

I did all the work via photoshop and not the editor , I respected all the conditions and size issues that had to following other tutorials here in this same thread , but when I sent the files to a friend of mine more expert in text editing he said the game CTD after he did the files , he thinks he had to edit a text file to say that there are only 5 factions but I am not understanding of what he is talking about and he didnt try it anymore since is away now ..... can u help me ?

here is a map I have done ......

Removed: http://img65.exs.cx/img65/1050/58dn.jpg

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Do you mean, prometheus, that you did all the maps without testing them?

You have to edit at least
    descr_terrain (this is only to put the correct dimensions of your new map_regions in pixels)
    descr_regions
    descr_regions_and_settlement_names_lookup
    descr_strat

There are other files not so important for the campaign to run:
    descr_disasters
    descr_events
    descr_mercenaries
    description

If you want me to try to do the first scripts, please PM. In principle it should not be too hard for a 5 regions map.

Cheers!

Prometheus I might be mistaken here but I was under the impression that that heights file was suppose to be blue for the water and shades of gray for the land, yours seems to look brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Encaitar
    I presume you're using the show_err switch and it's giving you nothing?

Try checking all the map files to make sure that there aren't any tiles that are given as sea in one but land in another. Also think back to the changes you've made since it last worked: is map_ground_types the only thing you've changed? Have any txt files been altered?
    Yea I am using show_err and all it get is an imediate CTD after I choose the faction and click start. The strange thing is that it seems that the problem lies in my tga images because I am no longer getting a rwm file to generate however I had the map working previously and restored those backups I made and now I still get a ctd where before I actually had the map working and was able to load and play it. This is kind of where I am stumped atm. You mentioned however about checking and making sure the land and see line up on the various layers, does this include all layers? or just certain ones that must line up perfectly? Like for example does the larger ground type tga need to line up perfectly with the smaller region tga?

Actually, the ground types don't need to line up with anything, which is why its a good bug finding method to make the entire ground types just grass. Sea regions are worked out by heights...

Regions doesn't strictly need to line up, but it can cause wierd effects if you stray too far.

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Actually in 1.2 most of the problems with regions get solved automatically - it fills up where they're too small, cuts where they're too big etc.
    I'm still not here

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast