Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a new campaign map.

Default Re: Making a new campaign map.

Have you checked if you have all these "{" and these "}" at the right places? One missing and one too many and you get an error.

I've checked everything thrice. That's the problem - there is no mistake which could lead to an error.

One question: how do i find out the coordinates of new cities so that i can place armies in them?

Member Member Crusader4thepeople's Avatar

Does anyone have a list of the RGB values for already used regions, so i dont accidentally make latium in the yucatan

Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    One question: how do i find out the coordinates of new cities so that i can place armies in them?
    If you see in Photoshop (or any other program you're using), there are coordinates given of the selected tile, i.e. x 32 y 45, and that's where the city is.
    Then you look up what the image size of your map_regions.tga is (the imperial campaign is 256x156).

If you want your army in the city, you keep the X-value as it is - in this example as 32. Then you take the Y-value of your image size, minus 1, minus the value of the Y-coordinate where the city is. That'd be 156-1-45=110 in the imperial campaign.
    That leaves your army at the tile x 32 y 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader4thepeople
    Does anyone have a list of the RGB values for already used regions, so i dont accidentally make latium in the yucatan
    In the file regions.txt, all RGB values are stated just below each region's name.

I want to return to my question. After deleting nearly all lines in descr_strat.txt and putting the stuff back in piece by piece, I managed it to get my campaign running. However, after a few turns, I got a CTD during Parthia's turn. I reloaded the game, ended the turn - nothing happened.
    A few turns later, the same happened again. I reloaded - everything worked fine.
    Again, a few turns later, the game crashes once again - only at Pontus' turn now. What is the reason of this CTD. Show_err won't work.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

The problem is EE that it could be almost anything. Its interesting that it was Pontus and Parthia who crashed, it could be something to do with eastern culture. Have you edited units at all, perhaps it crashes on the recruitment of a certain unit. Have you edited anything apart from the campaign map?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    Put your cursor over them, bring down the RomeShell console and type show_cursorstat

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader4thepeople
    All the existing RGB values are in descr_regions.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Unhappy Re: Making a new campaign map.

I know this has benn already brought forward by many but also i cannot get my "modified" campaign to work. All ive done is added a new province called Padania with the city of bononia between Etruria and Venetia.( in a new campaign)
    I did this using the campaign map editor. I also edited all the text files( i think )
    including descr_strat ( given it to julii with general Luca and 2 town militia). I also deleted map rwm. As soon as i try to start a provincial campaign with the julii it goes back to the menu and if i start with scippi or brutii it CTD.
    Anyone got some advice

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by lewigi
    As soon as i try to start a provincial campaign with the julii it goes back to the menu ...
    When the game returns to the previous menu, -show_err gives you a message when exiting. This message probably will give the clue.

Alright, after testing and testing and testing again, I found out that the CTD occurs when any unit walks in the region Bithynia... but I haven't edited anything about this region at all.
    I've experienced many errors during campaign editing, but this is the weirdest

EDIT: Fixed
    Last edited by EEGamer4ever; 09-16-2005 at 17:01.

I've got a question in RTR they changed the names for the factions would there be any way to do that but with just your custom campaign.

Yes. Go to /data/text folder and look for the shared.txt, expanded.txt and menu_english.txt files. There, you can change every aspect about a faction's name.

I've got a question for the experienced modders again: when I play my custom campaign, a few factions just get destroyed (their family members all die in the same turn). This happens to Dacia, Iberia, Gaul, Germania, Scythia and Egypt. Does anyone know why?
    Last edited by EEGamer4ever; 09-21-2005 at 18:36.

At a new top-secret (non-CA) location, surrounded by lots of steel and glass, high atriums, hordes of lovely marketing ladies, and with a new and spacious desk with plenty of room for body-moving.

Quote Originally Posted by EEGamer4ever
    Nope. Nowhere. No error which even looks like the one described.
    What should I do? Create the campaign all over again? Or deleting everything out and recreate descr_strat.

I've tried using the ';' to line out Aquitania, but the error now settled itself in the region above, Armorica.

I guess this not a mere error, but some corrupted bytes.
    If you're getting strange results with the text files, you may want to check that your text editor does the Windows thing and terminates lines with both a carriage return character and a newline one. The Rome descr_parser expects (and relies on) this behaviour in places.

Generally an error like this is down to something not being correct in the few lines immediately before - the parser fails when it is not recognising something, after trying to parse a statement which is incomplete (something missing) in some way.
    "All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind."
    -- from 'The Prophet' by Kahlil Gibran

I managed it to get it running, read a few posts above this one.
    But it was a really weird error... the line was that of a Gallic settlement, but the true error was in a Germanic settlement's line. And I still don't know *what* it was...

Given features like religion, legions associated with provinces and certain provinces providing the site for factions to spawn (well just the British ones), what other steps are necessary to add provinces?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Patricius; 10-03-2005 at 18:35.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

When can we expect a Campaign Map tutorial for RTW BI?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Making a new campaign map.

When someone finds out how map editing works with BI ^^

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Well adding regions should work just like in R:TW afaik.
    You have to edit the map_regions.tga, then add your province to all necessary text files (best is you just search for the appearance of another province in the windows in-file search).

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Hello Myrdraal,

Very nice guide,and very nice replies, there is only one thing I do not understand about ressources, hoping you could clarify this.

In descr_regions.txt we specify the available ressources for each province, that much is clear.

Code:
    Latium				
    	Rome				
    	romans_senate				
    	Latins				
    	52 13 198						
    	rome, italy, olive_oil	

What I do not understand is the Numbers in descr_strat.txt

Code:
    resource	tin,	23,	87
    resource	timber,	24,	82
    resource	gold,	117,	77
    resource	olive_oil,	121,	73
    resource	olive_oil,	123,	73
    resource	iron,	223,	81
    resource	iron,	225,	82
    Do these have to match in some way with descr_regions.txt, and if yes, how would we do that?

Thanks
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar
    Hello Myrdraal,

Very nice guide,and very nice replies, there is only one thing I do not understand about ressources, hoping you could clarify this.

In descr_regions.txt we specify the available ressources for each province, that much is clear.

Code:
    Latium				
    	Rome				
    	romans_senate				
    	Latins				
    	52 13 198						
    	rome, italy, olive_oil	

What I do not understand is the Numbers in descr_strat.txt

Code:
    resource	tin,	23,	87
    resource	timber,	24,	82
    resource	gold,	117,	77
    resource	olive_oil,	121,	73
    resource	olive_oil,	123,	73
    resource	iron,	223,	81
    resource	iron,	225,	82
    Do these have to match in some way with descr_regions.txt, and if yes, how would we do that?

Thanks

I think I figured it out :)

Loading map_regions.tga in to photoshop, these numbers actually represent the coordinates of the Icon of the given ressource.

So ok, I can find the coordinates like that and thus match them with descr_regions.txt...

As it would really make no sence having Olive oil as a resource and have Pigs as immage there.

I hope I am right :P
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Quote Originally Posted by EEGamer4ever
    If you see in Photoshop (or any other program you're using), there are coordinates given of the selected tile, i.e. x 32 y 45, and that's where the city is.
    Then you look up what the image size of your map_regions.tga is (the imperial campaign is 256x156).

If you want your army in the city, you keep the X-value as it is - in this example as 32. Then you take the Y-value of your image size, minus 1, minus the value of the Y-coordinate where the city is. That'd be 156-1-45=110 in the imperial campaign.
    That leaves your army at the tile x 32 y 110.

Or...

In photoshop or your favorite 2D edition Proggy, just Flip the Canvas Vertically...

The Map will be upside down, but it will give you the accurate coordinates by simply hovering your cursor over the town...without having to do any calculations. :)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar
    I think I figured it out :)

Loading map_regions.tga in to photoshop, these numbers actually represent the coordinates of the Icon of the given ressource.

So ok, I can find the coordinates like that and thus match them with descr_regions.txt...

As it would really make no sence having Olive oil as a resource and have Pigs as immage there.

I hope I am right :P
    Yes, those numbers are the coordinates and it is not only a question of "good-looking" of the map. The resources are not taken into account by the game (for trade purposes) if they are not present in the map, although they are included in descr_regions.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Making a new campaign map.

I took me a whole day to figure that out when I started editing maps

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Any guides on how to edit the other tga?!

I mean, I have the map_regions done. But I want to edit the heights, climates.... to fit with the map_regions.

Any guides on this?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior
    Yes, those numbers are the coordinates and it is not only a question of "good-looking" of the map. The resources are not taken into account by the game (for trade purposes) if they are not present in the map, although they are included in descr_regions.
    Ahh, thank you for this information, I did not know that! So not only for apearences! :P

Maybe things like that can be added to this guide, as they are important to a functional map!
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Any guides on how to edit the other tga?!

I mean, I have the map_regions done. But I want to edit the heights, climates.... to fit with the map_regions.

Any guides on this?!
    "map_heights.tga
    - This is where the 3D aspect of the campmap is determined.

Ground must be shades of gray (Red = Green = Blue i.e. RGB(100 100 100)). The lighter the shade of gray, the higher the point on the campmap.

Sea must be shades of blue (Blue = anything, Green = Red = 0). I think it is possible to use any shade of blue, but the existing campaign maps use RGB(0 0 253) so that’s a safe bet."

This is in the First Page of this Thread allong with other features :)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

When I made this campaign map, it worked fine from the start. However, I had this weird pink blob. It's very annoying, but I couldn't get rid of it. How to fix it?

PS: this is for vanilla RTW, not BI

Removed: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/938357/0006.jpg

EDIT: fixed
    Last edited by EEGamer4ever; 10-20-2005 at 09:53.

I've made a couple of new campaigns using this guide & Monkwarriors and i've been successfull in getting one of my maps to work. However the new campaigns i've made don't work becuase i keep getting this error with the terrain file.

Generic error:

Failed to create image from file 'bi/data/world/maps/base/descr_terrain.txt'

My .tga's are all the correct size...it's driving me nuts! please help.

Last edited by Centurion Cato; 10-23-2005 at 13:28.

TFT 's Fall of the Republic - Rise of the Empire (FRRE) Mod Project
    A collection of Post-Marian Reform mods for B.I
    Download The First Triumvirate v 1.75 for RTW

double post
    Last edited by Centurion Cato; 10-23-2005 at 13:28.

TFT 's Fall of the Republic - Rise of the Empire (FRRE) Mod Project
    A collection of Post-Marian Reform mods for B.I
    Download The First Triumvirate v 1.75 for RTW

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion Cato
    I've made a couple of new campaigns using this guide & Monkwarriors and i've been successfull in getting one of my maps to work. However the new campaigns i've made don't work becuase i keep getting this error with the terrain file.

Generic error:

Failed to create image from file 'bi/data/world/maps/base/descr_terrain.txt'

My .tga's are all the correct size...it's driving me nuts! please help.

From the error message I understand you are trying to make a map for BI. Have you used Alpaca's HGT converter for transforming your map_heights.tga into map_heights.hgt? Unfortunately BI uses a different method for generating the .rwm map than RTW 1.0 - 1.2 so you need to convert the map_heights.tga for the campaign to work. We use a variant of Mundus Magnus 2 map for Imperium: Total War and it works perfectly with the HGT converter.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast