Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a new campaign map.

Texture Artist Extrodinare Member richyg13's Avatar

Default Re: Making a new campaign map.

The dimensions are correct, i just double checked... everything was created with the newest 'TRIVIUM INDEPENDANT MAP EDITOR' so all dimensions should are fine.

The editor does not show any errors either when saving.

I've set all the land to low fertility for now, i assume this is fine?? the map_heights.tga matches the map_ground_types.tga with all heights set to RGB 1 1 1.

There are 5 regions set for now; South America, Mexico, North America, Canada and Latium (to make it work with the senate). All have a city and port. I think its crashing when trying to make the new map.rwm
    2D & 3D Games Artist
    - http://richyg13.deviantart.com

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

I've completed step 1, but I can't run the campaign map. When I select a faction and choose to play it, the loading screen appears, but when the loading bar is full the game will CTD every time.

I tried to delete:
    map.rwm
    map_heights.hgt

but it still didn't work. BTW map.rwm didn't exist so I couldn't delete it. What have I done wrong?
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

richyg13: since it is a CTD at the loading bar, the issue is not caused in beuilding map.rwm, that is finished before the loading bar starts, from my observations. I can't think of very many knwon things that cause a ctd after the load bar. One time I had a fleet placed in a forest, which caused a ctd there. I think that this could be caused by some syntax errors. You might try adding more land, in case there is too much water on the map. I have experienced that error before after the loading bar.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Legio, if you've only just started, use this:
    You can save a lot of time by downloading Duke Johns basic campaign. Its not quite all grass, it has some sea at the edges. This would save you a lot of time...
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...604&postcount=2

Link is corrupt... BTW I think I've found an alternative way of making a campaign map, which I think works too. Thanks anyway I'll stop by here if the other method didn't work...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Do you mean the editor? There is no other way, the editor just help you do what this tutorial explains

If you're including roman factions, you must include the cities that the senate asks you to take the first turn, such as segesta, syracuse and apollonia. I had a similar problem, and when I included these cities, it went fine.

The Fourth Age: Total War - Map Manager, Editor and Coder

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by Tittils
    If you're including roman factions, you must include the cities that the senate asks you to take the first turn, such as segesta, syracuse and apollonia. I had a similar problem, and when I included these cities, it went fine.
    Are those three the only cities necessary? Isn't there any problem of CTD when the campaign progresses?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Do you mean the editor? There is no other way, the editor just help you do what this tutorial explains
    What I'm trying is to not use the provincial campaign option, but instead replace the main game files and start without a command line and play as usual. I haven't run into any problems yet...
    Under construction...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior
    Are those three the only cities necessary? Isn't there any problem of CTD when the campaign progresses?
    Yes, as far as I know, I haven't had any problems with my new map (90 + provinces) and I have already played 60 turns. Each roman faction must be given their "usual" cities in the first senate mission. In the following missions they are chosen randomly.

- Tittils -

The Fourth Age: Total War - Map Manager, Editor and Coder

Default Volcanoes

Anyone know how to make volcanoes work? I have tried setting the frequency to 1 or 2 in descr_disasters.txt but with no success...

Default Re: Volcanoes

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog
    Anyone know how to make volcanoes work? I have tried setting the frequency to 1 or 2 in descr_disasters.txt but with no success...
    I only know the method of descr_events.txt.
    There you can put the position of the volcano in the map (coordinates) and the date.
    That means that it is not at random but in determined dates.
    This is from my own mod:
    Code:
    event	eruption_at_etna
    date	9 winter
    position	208, 99
    It works, but I don't know any other method.

Still no luck. Is the date specified a number of turns or the actual game date?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog
    Still no luck. Is the date specified a number of turns or the actual game date?
    Sorry, I'm not sure. It's perhaps the number of years from the campaign start, but not 100% sure. I remember that it happened around 260 BC and the campaign starts in 270 BC.
    As the volcano appears in the map, I imagine that the red? pixel is in disasters.tga. Just be sure that the location corresponds exactly to that position.

Good luck.

Success. You need to have an army within sight of the volcano for it to erupt, I didn't have that before - silly me

Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've created a test campaign and then added the province of "Tripolitiania Inferior" in Libya, figuring that would be a safe place. It seemed to work -- I can load the map, move units into and out of the city, build buildings, and run through several turns without problems. HOWEVER if I try to fight a battle it crashes to the desktop afterward. It's very odd. I can actually fight the entire battle on the battlefield, but whether I take personal command or autocalc, as soon as I click the checkbox to close the results window, CTD. It's not affected my Imperial Campaign. So what did I do wrong?

Very odd.... The only thing I can think of - Are you loading a saved game that was saved before you edited the map, or have you started a new campaign game?

@DeciusAemilius

Did you check different factions? In all cases the CTD occurs?
    Did you change any other file, for example descr_model_battle or export_descr_units?
    Does the CTD happen also in the imperial campaign?
    It would be important to see if this is a general problem or it is limited to several factions and/or regions.

It's a very specific problem. It ONLY occurs when I have a battle at the city I added. Any other battle, in the test campaign or elsewhere, is no problem. But if I, say, attack the city I added with the Scipii, having given it to the rebels, once the battle is over and I click the close-results checkbox, CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tittils
    I am finding that you need Apulia, Campania and Umbria too (I think)...

Quote Originally Posted by DeciusAemilius
    It's a very specific problem. It ONLY occurs when I have a battle at the city I added. Any other battle, in the test campaign or elsewhere, is no problem. But if I, say, attack the city I added with the Scipii, having given it to the rebels, once the battle is over and I click the close-results checkbox, CTD.
    I think you must check all the data related to that region, specially the rebels assigned.
    Did you change any other file of the game?
    If you want I have a look into the modified files, please send me a PM.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Two questions , I have made a complete new map but I am not able to make appear the proper radar maps , dunno why I made the proper files , dimensions and sizes but nothing appears , also how do I avoit the coasts to be squares and angles , ? seems an effect of the new map only that I can't have really soft curves lines....

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

The only thing I can think of for the coasts is that the heights don't need to fit the regions exactly, if it does, it comes out very pixelised.

I was making fix of the coastlines in my map , but altought I fixed the main problem , still some are remeaning , so you know how I can fix this ?

Removed: http://img41.echo.cx/img41/2886/12ty.jpg

Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

all coastal pixels need height to be 1.
    I'm still not here

1 of what?

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

he means in the heights tga. you need the coast line to have a color value of 1,1,1

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

Yes I did this but didnt solve the problem couse now the extrusion form the coastline is internal instead of external ....

Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

VIS ET HONOR

I've made my own map, after reading the tutorial and things... got some errors but they were solved with help from people from TWC... but now, when I try to load the campaign, it gives a CTD (before showing the loading bar). I looked for bugs in descr_strat, descr_units (I've made some new) and descr_buildings. But I didn't find anything. Someone willing to help?

I suppose you've tried show_err? No error?

If not, I may be able to help you, send the files to the.mad.toad@gmail.com, but don't count on a quick reply as I'm quite busy.

welcome to the .ORG

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast