Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a new campaign map.

Default Re: Making a new campaign map.

Heylo everyone. I picked up this guide yesterday and started reading, figuring that I might as well learn how to edit this game. So I did, and I managed to create a new province (sweden) in the original campaign.

But I wanted to do something new, so i started working on a scandinavian map. I presume all textfiles are fixed, because I no longer get an error with show_err. But still, the game crashes, and I assume it's something with the image files.

Map_regions is: 117x110
    map_ground_types: 235x221
    Map_roughness: 234x220
    Map_trade_routes: 117x110
    Map_features: 117x110
    Map_heights: 235x221
    Map_climates: 235x221
    disasters: 117x110
    radar_map1: 117x110
    radar_map2: 234x220

The game crashes to deskop each time. As a matter of fact, i've never ever gotten it to work. When creating a new map from scratch, you can't really "do somethings at a time", you have to do all the maps etc. etc and then try it. That's what I did.

I've got 7 regions, all have a port and all have a capital. None of the capitals border another region.

You suggested to someone earlier that he should delete all settlements from descr_strat and just run with two, and two factions. That's what I'm doing. Senate and Gaul. Rome and Latium exists. So it's really a boggle. Any ideas of what it might be?

There's map_region. Do you guys think the landmass is to small?

EDIT:

Just to try it out, I made another campaign (really small, 50x50). It actually worked, but the water looked like this:

How do i fix that?

Hooray! after a little tinkering I got the scandinavian map running (ok, so i made a new one from scratch with only TWO regions). But the sea problem remains. Any ideas?

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Have a look at map_ground_types and or map_heights, when the ground type is not water, but the height is 0 0 0 (black), then you will get that effect, as I remember.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

I tried to change that, but it didn't work. In heights, the water is 0,0,0 (everything else is 1,1,1) and in Ground_types, the water is one of those shades of red. Still, the effect persists.

Ok, apart from the sea glitch, I've now encountered another stop.

I add a few provinces at a time, and now when I came to my latest batch, the campaign just stopped working. I keep getting this error all the time:

"Script error in data/world/maps/campaign/viking_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 174, column 12
    Could not create settlement at script line 174"

I checked that line (but it only has one or two columns (?) and I saw no error. I've even rewritten the text file several times, yet I keep getting that error!

In map heights you should change all of the black (0 0 0) pixels to a blue colour (0 0 253), and this should fix the issue with the sea.

Columns in a text file are characters, counting from the left hand side of a row. column twelve is probably the start of the settlement name:
    Code:
    0	123456789AB	C
    	settlement	YOUR_SETTLEMENT
    Column 12 (C) is the beginning of the settlement name. Anyway, the could not create settlement error probably means that you spelled the name wrong in one of the other settlement-related texts (descr_regions.txt; YOUR_CAMPAIGN_region_and_settlement_names.txt; region_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt), so you should check the entry in all of these files. Another thing to check is that the region colour is unique, as this *I think* can also cause the same error.

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

I figured a way around it, but it's highly irritating.

The thing is, that I cannot add more than 1 single region at a time. This means that I have to paint a region in the map_regions.tga file, add the region to descr_regions.txt, then to descr_strat.txt, start the game, start the campaign and then quit in order to add another one. It's going to take weeks to get all the regions in there!

EDIT:

Ok, now I get the "Script error in data/world/maps/campaign/viking_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 174, column 12
    Could not create settlement at script line 174" error all the time (but at a different line and column. And it's no typo anywhere. What the hell is going on? Why won't it work?

You did not mention it, so I ask: are you adding the regions in viking_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt ? The first file should be in the data\text\ folder, while the second is in your campaign folder. This is the only reason that I can think of for the could not create settlement error.

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:

Ouch. I had totally forgotten about the descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt. However, i fixed it, and for awhile everything went smooth. But now, after adding a couple of settlements (around 3 at a time), I'm back to square 1. The error pops up again. All text files are filled in, and it's spelt correctly....

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed
    All text files are filled in, and it's spelt correctly....
    *spelled correctly

Sorry I couldn't resist

EDIT: I shall try be of some help, perhaps the settlement is on an area that is either sea in map_heights, or water in map_ground_types...

I left the campaign as it was, earlier, without doing anything. When I fired it up now, everything worked fine (except for the fact that a settlement was on a river...)

My assumption is that sometimes it works... And sometimes it doens't.

Finally! I've gotten all provinces, all the terrain and heigh done! So, I thought I'd add another faction (apart from germany and the senate). So, I added the britons, and WHAM. Suddenly, the game will no longer work. It CTDs without a messenge.

I know of all the codes in descr_strat, things that can go wrong with family members and etc. etc. But these usually leave an error messenge! So what the hell is wrong?

Member Member swirly_the_toilet_fish's Avatar

Just curious as to which program you are using to make these mods. If anyone could answer.
    "If I were a man I could do so much - travel the stars, learn to play the harp, conquer a foreign country and become a frustrated cartoonist."

Photoshop for the tgas, notepad for the text files.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Paint shop pro also works well enough for tgas and there are also free programs on the internet which can convert files to tga format if you have neither of those. irfanview is one of those, try searching for it.

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

After having no success in previous attempts at making the campaign map for my mod, I decided to follow your "resizing the campaign map" steps to see if it would work. So I followed the steps exactly, (I added 64 pixels to the north of the map, making it 255x220), and did nothing else. Then I tried the game, and it CTD'd. I don't have any idea what could have gone wrong. I tried it before I resized it actually and it worked perfectly.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Seeing as I can't edit here (why btw?) I have to double post, sorry.

Anyway, I found out that the reason why it was not working was because that the increase in the water meant that there was too much sea and not enough land. I've changed it all to land and it works fine.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Making a new campaign map.

Hey, I'm currently editing the regions for Age of Vikings and Fanatics. I had a hard time having a working campaign map, but I finally achieved to launch the provincial campaign without CTD. But then, there's another problem :

What are these pink blobs ? And how may I correct them ?

Default Re: Re : Making a new campaign map.

Whoah! Freaky. If you haven't fiddled with the files in data/terrain/ground_types I don't know what else it could be. Go into map_ground_types.tga and see what ground is underneath the blobs. If it's uniquer to where the blobs appear, change it and it may work.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

It'll be because of individual pixels in either map_ground_types.tga or map_climates.tga that aren't exactly the colour they need to be (e.g. instead of being 0 0 0 it might be 0 0 1).
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

That's it, there was a problem with map ground type. Thanks for the help :)

Hello everyone. I don't speak English well. But I need help. Not long ago I finished new map. A new map.rmw file is generated, afrer this step, the game crashes to deskop...

What is this...?
    Generic Error
    DATABASE_TABLE error found: unreognised record id requested

PS: I am glad to anyone intelligible explanation. Please write a simple words.

Default Weird error

I need help about an error messagge generated by show_err. In the process of trying to de-bug my last try in campaign editing I started shortening descr_strat of my last working version, testing after each round of deleting to see if it still works. After deleting any settlement of any faction other then rebel (expected them to become empty rebel villages like any other province not defined in descr_strat) I get an error in descr_strat.txt, line 2184, column 2 - "You have chosen an invalid tile(X,Y) for the settlement of Ariminum". I tried taking the file before this last deleting round and repeat - it says now it's something wrong with Mogontiacum. Didn't remember the coordinates but I checked in map_regions.tga, they are wrong, for both Ariminum and Mogontiacum, one was somewhere in scandinavia and the other mid of Mediterranian sea. I didn't modify map_regions.tga or any of the terrain files and to make things even worse this shortened version of descr_strat doesn't even have 2184 lines so I'm totally lost and need help if some of the more experienced ppl know what is it that is really generating this error cuz it obviously aren't dispositioned cities.

Ive become quite adept at editing the campaign map. However the only thing I have no knowledge about are trade routes. Ive been noticing that my ports don't have the connecting lines - I presume this means there is no trade going on between them. Perhaps this is NOT a question related to campaign map editing, but I dont know that. So how do I edit trade routes?

You can't. Trade road are generated by the engine, as long as there's 'walkable' way between your city and your port. If no road appears, you probably have to edit map ground types, and delete some moutains/dense forest.

how would you edit the winning conditions just for your campagn and not all the campagns. Is it the thing in desc_strat
    win_conditions
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    end_win_conditions
    if so what do these thing mean?

In every campaign I've played, these win conditions are the same.

Now, I've got a question too:
    I've been messing around with the Imperial Campaign map a bit, added a few regions, modded some etc.
    Now, all of a sudden, this error message shows up:

Code:
    Script error in .../descr_strat, at line 2531

Unexpected header '{'
    With this line being line 2531:

Code:
    settlement
    {
    	level town
    	region Aquitania

year_founded 0
    	population 1400
    	settlement_tax 51
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator gauls
    	building

The problem is likely to be a couple of lines before that.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Nope. Nowhere. No error which even looks like the one described.
    What should I do? Create the campaign all over again? Or deleting everything out and recreate descr_strat.

I've tried using the ';' to line out Aquitania, but the error now settled itself in the region above, Armorica.

I guess this not a mere error, but some corrupted bytes.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast