Thread: If I could wish for a new expansion.....

Default If I could wish for a new expansion.....

I would definately wish for a "Medieval Total War: Sea Battles" expansion.

What about the rest of you?

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Default Re: If I could wish for a new expansion.....

It would be nice to be able to fight sea battles manually, but I'm not sure if CA would make an expansion whose only purpose was to allow sea battles to be fought manually. It sounds to me more like something that could be done in a mod.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Sea battles? Heck no! Just my opinion, though; for me, most of the fun is the focus on the land battles.

It would be fun to have more diplomatic options in MTW, a la RTW or Civ3 or something. There've been times when my ally starts getting the stuffing kicked outta them and I'm unable to help because I'm landlocked and moving my armies through someone else's land is a declaration of war. It's times like those that I wouldn't mind giving up a few florins for the right to pass through someone's lands. Or to simply demand tribute.

I'd like more "zone-of-recruitment" type units (like Avar Nobles in VI or the Swiss series of pikemen). That could really add flavour to the armies you construct. (Sent my Turkish emissary up to Sweden once, vanilla VI game, bribed that general, bribed the one in Norway, used the combined forces to put down revolt after revolt, got a nice mid-rank general, and eventually teched up to Viking Huscarles. Yes. Turkish Viking Huscarles.)
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Land Battles would certainly be more fun than sea battles (as they have terrain and a greater range of unit types), but it would still be nice to be able to fight sea battles manually. Of course, there are other things that could be improved in the game as well
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

I think sea battles could offer a whole new set of problems...
    Weather (wind strength and choppyness of sea) would make a great difference in the way a battle may go. Trying to trap an enemy against the wind ought to be a challenge in itself.
    Depending on how different classes of ships would act, in different weather conditions it may be possible to stack the odds against an enemy fleet by using a more appropriate class of vessel.
    On the coastal areas, sandbanks and underwater rocks could be used for trapping vessels with deeper hulls.
    Also gun ships can often only fire from the side, so attacking a large ship with many more nibble ships could be a viable tactic.
    Range of fire would be important. Getting along side a ship to snag it and board it would be fun.
    Adding the option of manning ships with different types of crew; melee, missle or a combination could be another tactical choice.
    When sending troops for coastal landings, limiting the size of the attacking force by the fleet size would add some reality.
    etc etc

Anyone played any of the Patrician games? Or Port Royale for that matter. They had a nice in game Sea battle engine. And goddamn those games were addictive! Especially in multiplayer. Need to fire that up again sometime soon.

I agree with Mujalumbo, more diplomatic options would be nice. Like, giving people/ demanding land as part of a peace deal/ alliance, paying countries to let your troops go through, or when you beat the stuffing out of someone, make them pay you a yearly tribute to compliment your income. All these would be real easy to do as well I reckon

Medieval Total War:100 years war

that'd be tight :)

Quote Originally Posted by PittBull260
    Medieval Total War:100 years war

that'd be tight :)
    That would be very good

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

If you want a naval war, get Sid Meyer's Pirates. It's GTA with Pirates.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I'd like a Dark ages Campaign for the whole map.

Roll across Europe as the Vikings, beat back the Arabs as Charles Martel.

The big event would be the invention of the stirrup.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Hobbilars' whisperer... Member Advo-san's Avatar

The only thing I would like to see changed is this: It is not normal that p.e. Egypt and Malta can recruit the same number of units every year. It would be more reasonable that larger provinces recruit larger numbers of units.
    ΕΛΛΗΝΩΝ ΠΡΟΜΑΧΟΥΝΤΕΣ ΑΘΗΝΑΙΟΙ ΜΑΡΑΘΩΝΙ ΜΗΔΩΝ ΧΡΥΣΟΦΟΡΩΝ ΕΣΤΟΡΕΣΑΝ ΔΥΝΑΜΙΝ

Champions of the Greeks the Athenians in Marathon strewed the power of the goldendressed Persians

I'd love to see the sea battles expanded on. Something like Pirates would be fun.