Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Total War Game!: Your Suggestions!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Total War Game!: Your Suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by sbroadbent
    I continually get annoyed by the limited tilt. We almost need 90 degree tilt down from level (so you can get an overhead view), while atleast 45 degree tilt up (otherwise you're looking at the clouds and not much use. Is there any way to mod this?
    EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were referring to R:TW. AFAIK there is no way to modify the camera.
    Last edited by Ludens; 10-02-2005 at 14:57.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Member Member Sir Toma of Spain's Avatar

I personally think that a China: Total War would be really interesting and could have different periods to start in like M:TW did.

I also think that the Empires period (Hittites, Assyrians etc.) would be a great option for the next total war

p.s What the hell does "BTW" mean!!!!
    - Fear the one who can break spanish armour -

[Insertwittytitlehere] Member Copperhaired Berserker!'s Avatar

BTW means By the way. Anyways, on topic, I would like to have the period of the 15th century. Not much muskets in that period and also rather interesting. Maybe the next one would be Global conquers: total war. This time, Put plenty of effort into AI this time, and not GRAPHICS. It's like going through time from RTW period to today.

If I was smart, I would have a witty punchline in this sig that would make everyone ROTFL.

I'm not smart.

The American Civil War would be my first choice. Though the guys at madminutegames.com seem to be onto something with their Take Command series, it's not quite as playable as Total War and may be more appreciated by hardcore ACW afficianados.

Second: remake Shogun. Since Shogun decided to stop running on my system (still desperately hoping somebody has a fix for that) I'm in withdrawal. The Samurai mod for MTW/VI is very impressive, but something's missing for me in the atmosphere--the European landscapes and reduced weather effects.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

A TWed version of Cossaks would be good. Or Colonialism: Total War.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Byzantium total war -from 476 to 1090

byzantines,franks,persians,arabs,holy roman empire,rus,bulgarian,chazar,
    saxons,vikings and so on.

Ancient total war- greeks persians and so on

napoleonic.

thats it!!

I like the idea of Total War in Ancient Times if it means Alexander the Great takes on Darius King of Kings for the Persian Empire.

What's the appeal of going backwards more in western civ? RTW already has phalanxes, chariots, primitive javelin throwers, peltasts. . . .

I hope they are not going to make the Greek total war that they are putting out for cosole into their next PC total war title.

A sci-fi total war would be killer.

See my username. Al: Total Gore would concern the 2000 presidential election. The two main factions would be Democrats and Republicans. Canada and Mexico would be unplayable factions. Some example of units would include, party interns (Peasants), and drunken rednecks (Naptha throwers). What do you think?

Given the unit control model of TW the mid 1800s would be about the latest possible time period, as even in the American Civil War the concept of tightly regimented battle lines was starting to break down as rifles and artillery gained ever greater accuracy and rapidity. The Napoleonic wars, or Colonial warfare in India, Africa and the Americas would be pretty cool.

I'd love to see a remake of Shogun though, still the best TW game of them all :>

Ordani, I think you're absolutely right. I would LOVE to see the Total War Series advance into the 19th century, especially the Napoleonic Wars. The Total War series excels at simulating battles with hundreds of men in formations, and you could really play out the scissors/paper/stone affair with glorious cavalry, steadfast infantry and artillery.

For this, I would like:
    - Loads and loads of powder smoke
    - the ability to time a musket volley until the enemy is really close
    - realistic artillery (the guns crashing back on their trails when firing, not just going "bang" timidly and remaining stationary)
    - infantry formations: line, square and column formations that actually look convincing

While I typed this, I obviously thought about Imperial Glory, the game that actually covers the era of the Napoleonic Wars, but is no match for Rome, neither graphically nor concerning the world map or the battles themselves or anything.

Another reason for my opinion: I think I've read too many Richard Sharpe for my own good.

Robbing the rich since 1066 Member Lord Armbandit's Avatar

Got to be (loosely) Napoleonics. Think about how exciting that period in history is, in fact you could probably stretch all the way from the early 1700s up to 1870-something.

You've got plenty of revolution, social change, truly massive battles, technological change.

It would also be good for it to be something original, hard to say what this could be, all the major/obvious conflicts and periods have (naturally) been covered off, and doing fantasy or sci fi through total war may not be such a good idea.

Ancient China probably fits the bill, the RoTK idea mentioned above was very seductive, but surely Koei have some kind of protection on it? A more faithful, historical representation of the Ancient Chinese era would be better.

I remember a great game (Koei again) a few (many) years back about Genghis Khan where you started taking over the mongol people and then went out to take on the rest of the world. You can stick India, Korea, Japan, etc. in the mix but you could in fact stretch this all the way to Europe as Koei did in their game.

Could get unwieldy, but there is too much obsession with conquering everything, maybe there should be more restricting factors on that kind of expansion?

Who knows, I'm warbling on, you can tell I haven't posted in a while!
    Voting is an illusion to allow the common man to believe he has some control.

I'm not much on world history, but I would like to see a Total War series done in the Czarist Russia period. With the rich history there, I think it would make an awesome TW series.

Ausculta mihi! Tibi dico!

Unhappy Lakota Total War

My feeling is that there is little not already shown by TW series or their modds or their rivals in the ancient or pre-modern organised warfare. Nearly every period or nations history was presented in either original games (not only total war - imperial glory for example) or by heap of modders. I think it`s time to focus on something else than only organised-nation warfare (with formations and unit recruting). Imagine this:
    Instead of nation you have a tribe to manage, you get a bunch of families. These families allow you to train young men as wariors/hunters. In battle mode you lead not units but single wariors (which you still can group). These wariors features may recall old generals with different vices and virtues, fight-stile inclinations (club, javelin, bow, knife), also different physical characteristics - these would greatly influence their effectivnes in war or hunt. To bring the true feeling it would require each man to be able to mount, dismount or swim during battle, catch a horse.It would need a new way to define human model and skins to produce individual looking wariors on the battle field. On the other hand there would not be thousands of clone wariors to occupy CPU time. Religion would play significant part. Instead of retraining and armor building, you put your men through several physical or mental training. You can negotiate right to hunt in other tribe territory, you can fight/hunt buffalos in battle mode (which would perfectly fit the CPU AI by the way), you can send young men to steal horses, women, or destroy other tribe. You still can trade horses, skins, steel, or flintstone or redstone, or weapons of your or European origin. you can change the place of your camp, with whole tribe on the move, following the path of war or the one of the buffallo herds. You found more camps as your families grow larger. You seek new territories. You forge aliances, fight different tribes, offer your daughters to be married. and finally: face the invasion of well organized, armed and determined oversea race. Quite different from total war experience so far - I agree. But why not. Seems fun to me: Lakota: total war

This is definitelly out of the box
    Last edited by JeanDeTample; 10-18-2005 at 15:18.

Astecs vs the Spanish in Latin America.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Whatever the era, I would like some new features such as:
    -Ambition. Like loyalty, acumen and dread, ambition would only be measured on general with four or more stars. It would be a measurement of how ready a general would be to attempt a coup and how mayn people he could attract to his side. The more victories he wins, the more his ambition rises. One could also have a people's popularity meter, like in RTW with SPQR, which would be directly tied in with his ambition. It's a pity they missed this in RTW, as a Triumph would have been really nice to see. The normal loyaly meter would be used to measure other things, it could be used so that enemy emissaries are more attracted to him with bribery missions, or if he felt that he was safe from reprisals (they should bring back the dread meter) he could just go rebel. However, maybe this shouldn't be included in a TW post Medieval period, as there were relatively few examples of such coups.
    -Slaves. I simply don't why they didn't have this in RTW! Instead of slaughtering all captives, you could chose wether to keep them as slaves (increasing you population as well as giving cash for the sales), or if the enemy give you a good enough price you could give them back. But you could always kill them if you wanted to.
    A gunpowder TW, IMO, would be spectacular, especially sieges. And I really hope they introduce naval battles.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

What seems to make the most sense to me would be the "warring kingdoms" period covering the creation of the Chinese Empire. The factions are there, there's sufficient historical background info and a new "feature" to add..which would be the end game of modilizing the various conqured populations into Great Wall builders. There's even the built in expansion of the eventual mongol/steppes tribes invasion. Heck, they could even make it so that a player had to unite the various steppes tribes prior to crossing into China.

What I'd personally like to see tho is a RTW, RTW BI, MTW, MTW VI reduex that flows together. You start in RTW. How ever your RTW game ends is how you start in RTW BI. How ever that ends up is how you're set up for MTW and so on. With the expansion of european conflicts up thru the Nepolionic wars.

Needless to say, the game re-does would be "best of breed" from each of the game sets regarding eyecandy, game performance, AI and all that with what ever else the bright boyos in the coding department can come up with.

I am sure most people here would disagree but I fancy a middle earth TW, I know there are some people doing a mod for it but it would nice to have a new snazzy AI.

If anyone is making China TW, it may become a hit. ChinaTW if covered by 1 game only is going to be very difficult to create due to the various forms of warfare and technological advances made in the various dynasties. Question is what period do they want to start it in? Spring Autumn Warring States? The First Pleasants Revolt?Three Kingdoms? (Romance of Three Kingdoms is Koei registered but not Three Kingdoms)Or Expansion and colonisation by Tang/Song?(Where Admiral Cheng Ho goes as far as to start a chinese colony in present day Malaysia) As far as Warring States is concern, they can try making Korea Warrings States which involves the Chinese and Japanese sub factions coming in)The Japanese Warring States had been covered by Shogun TW. India TW is also quite interesting, but I am not so clear about how to divide them into the correct periods. There goes my 2 cents.
    A Tail Wagging Roman Butt Biting Warhound

I think it would be cool if there was total war were it started with the dawn of man with like 3 or 4 tribes in all of europe then as your world changes and grows the different options you select each turn affects how your empire becomes and some times during the earlier years ccertain tribes could emerge from yours like a random event were your one "hunting party" leaves your faction and sets up somewere and starts an empire... then maby after everyone on the map enters a "more civilized" state all of the factions are set but if a rebel army appears and you dont "put the rebellion down" after awile they could name themselves a new faction. i also think that there shouldnt be really any set province borders till you get past a the "civilized" era or something and you should be able to build your settlements and stuff and when you enter the "civilized era" the placement of your cities and stuff affects the province borders. and the end date would be like the end of the medieval ages or something so campaigns could last an entire year

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12