Thread: Why does it always come back to politics and religion?

Default Why does it always come back to politics and religion?

I've been wondering this for awhile. Of all the possible things there are to talk about why does it always come back to politics and religion? You would think we would be sick of it because it virtually consumes our lives outside of gaming but somehow it always happens.

Another thing, not only do we continually come back to politics and religion, we also bring up the same topics over and over and over. Now, I haven't been at this forum very long but the topics here in the backroom are the same brought up in almost every forum where politics and religion are allowed to be debated and discussed.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Re: Why does it always come back to politics and religion?

The back room is for topics too serious to be in the frontroom. So those are Politics, Economics, Religion, and War. War tends to go to the Monastery and economics aren't as many or as serious as others.

What else would you like to know?

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Another thing, not only do we continually come back to politics and religion, we also bring up the same topics over and over and over. Now, I haven't been at this forum very long but the topics here in the backroom are the same brought up in almost every forum where politics and religion are allowed to be debated and discussed.
    Yup they come and go in an endless parade. But this is more because of current events that pertain to these matters driving them to re appear as it were. Also we get new members who havent partaken in these disscussions. What do we tell them go to the archives? Also these peole may have a new take on some of these matters.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

What else would you like to see discussed in the backroom.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Talk your own language thread, "Meet new and wonderful girls", Stop drugs and smoking, Alcohol destroys your health...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

At first glance it seems to be the same stuff over and over again - but from time to time you get some really interesting and fresh view on an issue when you least expect it.

Also, even if most people say this does not happen here, I have the feeling that trough the numerous discussions on certain topics people seem to refine their views (even if they do not turn around 180į) - something that is worthwhile to experience in itself.

Another interesting thing to observe if you follow the discussions over a longer time - although buzzwords like "liberals" and "conservatives" are frequently used, you seldomly find patrons that actually fit into these cliches. Even within these "camps" you will see a broad range opinions on certain topics and there is a lot to learn about people not being "cardboard characters".

So even if things sometimes seem to get a bit repetitive, I think the Backroom discussions still offers quite some intersting perspectives.

Hey, as a moderator I better promote this place a bit if I do not want to become redundant

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Talk your own language thread, "Meet new and wonderful girls", Stop drugs and smoking, Alcohol destroys your health...
    Thats what the front room is for

Because they are the two things people have the strongest view on...

And quality debating on something you believe in
    [QUOTE=Ser Clegane]refines your point of view[QUOTE]
    and is thus a worthwhile experience. You have no idea how much I learn in here...

@original poster:

i often have wondered the same exact thing myself

it still bewilders me that this forum is called the "Backroom" despite the fact that that name makes no sense whatsoever. it should be called "Politics and Religion Room" since that is what 95% or more of the threads are about

one would think that human beings in general would have enough creativity and ingenuity to come up with a more diverse range of things to discuss besides that. but apparently that's not the case

Well it's a backroom because we can brawl in here, round the back

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ah_dut
    Well it's a backroom because we can brawl in here, round the back
    LMAO...

The Backroom is really a interesting forum, where you can lumber 24/7
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Firstly because it is interesting, secondly because there is not much else to talk about and thirdly we like it.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krauser
    I've been wondering this for awhile. Of all the possible things there are to talk about why does it always come back to politics and religion?
    Because these are topics with no clear answers, only subjective opinions, where facts have little relevance and people can talk from their own perspective.

Plus they are what people are interested in. But we also discuss other things, like crimes, and disasters.

We could talk about sex, or money, other the relationships of religion to sex and money in today's politics.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

The idea of splitting the Tavern into a frontroom and backroom is terrific. The frontroom is where casula conversation can take place and noone has to be overly concerned with offending or being offended. The backroom is great becasue here you can discuss just about anything, within the confines of dignity and civility.

I kind of wish there were a "dueling square" or something similar where the patently offensive could be let loose. No place for children though. This would be a great place where lewd and disturbing comments could be hurled between members until one capitulated or fled. When discussions denegrated into bashing and foul language, the threads would be transfered to that room. Of course, this would serve no constructive purpose and it would ultimately eminate into the rest of the forum, where known rivalries would flair up. Wait. This is a terrible idea. Nevermind.

Politics and religion? Is that what we chat about back here? I thought we were discussing hobbies and old memories.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

My father always said that politics and religion should be left out of polite conversation. Meaning that someone will feel bad and start screaming.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spetulhu
    My father always said that politics and religion should be left out of polite conversation. Meaning that someone will feel bad and start screaming.
    Thats why junior members cant post here and why the backroom is so great.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spetulhu
    That's funny, my mom said never to talk about sex, politics, religion, or money.

Universal truths apparently

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Blog Entries

My Dad always told me "If You want to change something, the first thing you must always do is stop bitching about it." So I think what he meant is that you can argue about something non-stop, but its not really going to change anything unless you act upon it.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    At first glance it seems to be the same stuff over and over again - but from time to time you get some really interesting and fresh view on an issue when you least expect it.

Also, even if most people say this does not happen here, I have the feeling that trough the numerous discussions on certain topics people seem to refine their views (even if they do not turn around 180į) - something that is worthwhile to experience in itself.

Another interesting thing to observe if you follow the discussions over a longer time - although buzzwords like "liberals" and "conservatives" are frequently used, you seldomly find patrons that actually fit into these cliches. Even within these "camps" you will see a broad range opinions on certain topics and there is a lot to learn about people not being "cardboard characters".

So even if things sometimes seem to get a bit repetitive, I think the Backroom discussions still offers quite some intersting perspectives.

Hey, as a moderator I better promote this place a bit if I do not want to become redundant
    I totally agree with you. I visit the backroom to stand inside the crucible that refines my ideas. I see myself through all of your ideals in your responses, and I continue. An opinion, unquestioned, is one not worth having.

As far as why politics and religion, at the end of the day, what else is worth fighting about? How we will live with each other and why? That's politics and religion in a nutshell. Whether we preach, we prostylize, we poke, prod or simply ask, it's all about "Hey, let's get along".
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-10-2005 at 06:14.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    I kind of wish there were a "dueling square" or something similar where the patently offensive could be let loose. No place for children though. This would be a great place where lewd and disturbing comments could be hurled between members until one capitulated or fled. When discussions denegrated into bashing and foul language, the threads would be transfered to that room. Of course, this would serve no constructive purpose and it would ultimately eminate into the rest of the forum, where known rivalries would flair up. Wait. This is a terrible idea. Nevermind.

There is, it is the staff PMs where we abuse the crap out of each other...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Everything is about politics, which also includes religion......

It always comes back to politics or religion because otherwise you have to look at facts, and no one likes that.

Example:

1: I'm right.
    2: No I am.
    1: You're a liberal/conservative, thus wrong.
    2: No you're a Christian/heaten and so definately wrong!
    3: Actually you're both wrong and it's this, as shown by these double blind scientific studies, and in fact, it was also confirmed by Jesus in the second coming.
    1+2: Don't care, still right.

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

Why? pretty simple.

People want to believe they're here for a reason or justify their existance. When they're here they feel they should have an opinion which admits them into a group of people who believe the same things as they do. This goes for both politics and religion. Man-kind is a lonely creature; always alone in his/her own conciousness. Ever read the Chrysalids? It's essentially man's heaven of being able to communicate with others not soley based on physical or verbal means, but mental and emotional means as well. Humans, haven't their thoughts truncated down to awkward verbal phrases and physical gestures, are frustrated and migrate into social groups that give them that much more solidarity in this confusing, lonely and frustrating existance.

Something to give meaning to life, as it were
    Last edited by Colovion; 07-10-2005 at 22:35.
    robotica erotica

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krauser
    Of all the possible things there are to talk about why does it always come back to politics and religion?
    What else could you possibly want to talk about?
    "Look Iíve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said weíd provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well itís great to be able to say weíre better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what Iím remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what Iím thinking Iím remembering itís all a bit wonky isnít it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

I visit here and scan the topics. If a topic interests me or I feel I want to know I open the thread. If an opinion is sought (i.e. a poll, I usually vote) I usually give one.

This forum helps the cause of "Freedom of Speech" and long may it continue.

Note: We were all drawn here by our love of "Total War" game series, so we all have something in common.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

The topics are o.k.. But we behave like politicians. Most of us are so focused on their mind that they cannot accept facts that do not match their own ideas.