Poll: Greates Nations of Warriors.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Nations of Warriors

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Greatest Nations of Warriors

PLEASE VOTE IN THE NEW THREAD!

What nations/countries/culture groups do you think had the greatest warriors. Their technology doesnt matter, but more of how they used their technology. I've included a poll with some of the best ones in my mind, but if anybody can think of better ones please list.

I would have to say the vikings. They were eventually eclipsed by technology, but those were some tuff dudes.

Edit- The poll is just nations i thought had good warriors, no offense to any nation that was left out just put other and say which you think had the best.
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-19-2005 at 01:31.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Nations of Warriors

I think the germanic tribes were more powerful then the celtic ones. Oh well, it's done now.

Of course I gotta go with greeks. Is everyone shocked?
    Seriously though, we have always produced the most powerful and talented warriors in history. From the trojan war and persian and peloponesian wars to the revolution and world war two, we have never been less heroic.

I am completely biased of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    I think the germanic tribes were more powerful then the celtic ones. Oh well, it's done now.

Of course I gotta go with greeks. Is everyone shocked?
    Seriously though, we have always produced the most powerful and talented warriors in history. From the trojan war and persian and peloponesian wars to the revolution and world war two, we have never been less heroic.

I am completely biased of course.
    yeah, but im a bit biased towards the celtic tribes , though i still think that the viking are the best "warriors".

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Huns? Nah. All steppe tribes were great, but the Mongols most would outweigh the Huns, IMO, since the Huns convereted to infantry tactics.

So I'd vote any group of peoples that was born and raised a nomad on the steppe, because the environment created warriors, or it killed everyone else.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

medieval europeans duh, ALL EUROPEANS aactually
    YEA EUROPEANS ROCK!!

So I'd vote any group of peoples that was born and raised a nomad on the steppe, because the environment created warriors, or it killed everyone else.
    The same could be said of scandanavia and Scotland.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Romans above all ruled all the others , they won and dominated , then are the romans , but among the romans I would say the best of the best could be the Gladiators .....

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    Romans above all ruled all the others , they won and dominated , then are the romans , but among the romans I would say the best of the best could be the Gladiators .....
    The romans won partly because they were more advanced than their neighbors and of course their great disicpline.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I voted "other". Germany since Roman times has been the home of some of the greatest warriors and generals of history. Where did the Vikings and Normans come from? Yes, Germany and Denmark.

My vote would be Prussia. At their height during times of peace, they would have at least 4% of their population in uniform. That’s staggering considering we are talking about a modern nation.

To put it into prospective, America has 295,734,134 people (according to CIA.com) and 4% of that would be 11,829,365 soldiers. I bet the American military top brass would be licking their chops at the prospect of that kind of soldier pool.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_maniac from mars
    I voted "other". Germany since Roman times has been the home of some of the greatest warriors and generals of history. Where did the Vikings and Normans come from? Yes, Germany and Denmark.
    actually didnt the germans come from scandanavia at one point.

And the vikings came soly from scandanavia, and the normans were descendents of vikings.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Danes and Northern Germans were also considered "Vikings" by the English. Germans have been in that area since before Roman times. Who do you think stopped the conquest of the Romans halfway into Germany? The beer? (Just as a side note, "beer" as we know it (NOT the stewy stuff invented by Egyptians) was invented in Bohemia, which was under German rule at the time)

What the hell, no Germans but russians?

No reason to make a case, needless to say I agree with Evil Maniac From Mars.

What the hell, no Germans but russians?
    Russians have proven throughout history that they are tuff. They played a large part in defeating the monguls, stopped Napolean(yes their weather helped them), and they are a large reason why nazi germany was defeated.

When did Germany have especially good warriors. I cant see putting them in and not england, wales, scotland, france, etc..

From Roman times to the end of WW2, Germans have been amazing warriors. The existence of Prussia in itself should earn them a place on your "list".

Well the problem with making a poll on this means everybody wants their own country to be on it. I originally had germans on there, but i never thought they had better troops than france for example. That is why include other and encourage people to post what country they think should be on there and why.

btw, the german troops didnt really beat rome. Rome was already on a self-destructive path and the german forest werent the best terrain for roman legions.
    Last edited by King of Atlantis; 07-10-2005 at 07:53.

It just surprised me that you would put Zulus and Russians on there but not Germans. I cannot comprehend how either could be possibly construed as better than that of Germany.

But hey, its your poll, have fun with it.

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

Japan, mainly because of the samurai and the whole honour thing they had, you know killing themselves if they lost a battle forgot the name of it.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    It just surprised me that you would put Zulus and Russians on there but not Germans. I cannot comprehend how either could be possibly construed as better than that of Germany.

zulu defeated a modern army with spears, plus i had to add some kind of african place.

russians were put in for the above reasons, i originally had germany in their spot, but of the two i thought the russians won, plus germany was already part of a category(medieval europe).

zulu defeated a modern army with spears, plus i had to add some kind of african place.

russians were put in for the above reasons, i originally had germany in their spot, but of the two i thought the russians won, plus germany was already part of a category(medieval europe).

Celtic warriors - they were afraid of nothing and no-one, they sacked rome and large areas of greece including the oracle at Delphi. Alexander the Great frequently employed Celtic warriors against his enemies, for example against the Etruscans in 335BC. Their entire culture was based around indivual bravery, honour and fighting skills for which they were known and feared for throughout the classical world. Their territory is known to have spanned across all of Europe and is suspected to have stretched all the way out to Tibet in the East and North America in the West.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    Well the problem with making a poll on this means everybody wants their own country to be on it. I originally had germans on there, but i never thought they had better troops than france for example. That is why include other and encourage people to post what country they think should be on there and why.

btw, the german troops didnt really beat rome. Rome was already on a self-destructive path and the german forest werent the best terrain for roman legions.
    I agree and anyway by that time much of the roman army was made of germans as well so was a german vs german .....

also this poll to me is "stupid" and too much on the risk of rising nationalistic prides , I just posted for provocation becouse everyone would vote for his own country so there is no point in it since will just come out the majoryty of the people of one country would make win the relative warriors ....

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

As warriors id say Japan.Samurais in my mind define the word warrior.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I voted for romans and i did not vote for my own country.
    For me organisation, tactics and especially a polital system that could exploit military successes are more important than individual skill.

If you only asked for the quality of the individual warrior, I think the Samurai would be my choice.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Their technology doesnt matter, but more of how they used their technology.
    If this is the primary citeria then certainly the answer is the USA. Id say the Marines who assualted the pacific islands were as tuff as any warrior from any age.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

The same could be said of scandanavia and Scotland.
    Yeah. And the Scandanavian warriors were great. But they didn't use horses as much, so there. (though they did adopt quickly as the Normans and the Rus...)
    Seriously, it is hard to judge. But I know more about the steppe warriors and their toughness as other warriors. But in order to qualify, their horses and their bows would need to be included, as a steppe warrior on foot would loose against a Norseman or German (which I also think need to be on there).

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Three posts!!!! Man, hold your speed King!!!!

I prefer Japan. They had the greatest and most noble warriors.

Also, the Muslim Fanatics.....Needless to say why....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    Russians have proven throughout history that they are tuff. They played a large part in defeating the monguls, stopped Napolean(yes their weather helped them), and they are a large reason why nazi germany was defeated.
    Without wanting to offend any Russians present, I think the fact that their country is so immensely large and barren and that they have so many people they can use as soldiers plays a bigger role in their winning of battles. Napoleon defeated the Russians time after time in the open field, and I think you will find that the Russians lost quite a lot of soldiers during WWII. Also, in WWI the Russian army was notoriously ineffective, commanders sending into battles many men without rifles (they had to pick them up from their dead comrades who in fact did have them). Also, when did the Russians actually defeat the Mongols? Only when the Mongols had become a sedentary, decadent ruling class the Russians defeated them, centuries after the Mongol conquest.

The best warrior people would have to be the Prussians, who more or less embody the soldier-nation. The Spartans could be said to be the same, of course. For medieval times, I guess the Normans would be the best warrior people. However, I think most real "warrior-cultures" in itself do not create empires. Organisation skills and an effective wy of government are just as (or maybe even more) important.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Individually, I say the Germanic peoples. Specifically the Franks, and yes, I rank them above the Norse, Danes and Swedes. Then again, oops -- I AM Frank!

For soldiers, not warriors? Hard to say. Certainly the Mongols are very high up my list. Romans too.

At sea, certainly the Dutch. Batavia rules the waves!

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast