Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your serious candidate for pres and vice in 08

Default Your serious candidate for pres and vice in 08

Okay. Here tis. Who do you think should run for president and vice in 2008?

Please apply the following conditions:

(a) Either party (and I say either becasue ANY is unrealistic).

(b) Someone who may actually have a shot.

(c) Please be serious. I don't want to see mickey mouse and superman here.

My choice:

McCain/Powell Credibility all the way around and continued GOP dominance. Ideally I would rather see it Powell/McCain, but I don't think our country has gut the courage for that yet. Besides, if it's mccain/powell, then the next run would be Powell/?. Imagine that. 24 years of straight republican dominance of the white house. Goodbye fractured democratic party. Hello third party.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Re: Your serious candidate for pres and vice in 08

McCain is a great choice and this is coming from a democrat.

For democrat choices i hear good things about Obama. He is black, so i dont know what his chances are, but he seems like a good choice.

24 years?? Thats a little optomistic/scary.

Rice/Guiliani or Guiliani/Rice

This is a perfect combination of strong foreign policy, yet a moderate domestic agenda.

If the war on terror and foreign policy are still the big issues in 08, id pick Rice for president. If Iraq has toned down and things are going well, Guiliani.

Either way, i think they will bring a youthful spirit to the nation and help promote a strong conservative agenda that transcends the different subcultures of the nation.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    McCain/Powell Credibility all the way around and continued GOP dominance. Ideally I would rather see it Powell/McCain, but I don't think our country has gut the courage for that yet. Besides, if it's mccain/powell, then the next run would be Powell/?. Imagine that. 24 years of straight republican dominance of the white house. Goodbye fractured democratic party. Hello third party.
    I didn't know Clinton was a republican.

I would say H.Clinton if Democrat, or McCain if Republican. Either of them is pretty good. As long as it's not George Bush again, or his evil cousin Jeb, I'm happy.

I like giulliani and rice too. I just don't think either is feasible for 08. Although I think McCain is a tad liberal (hell, kerry wanted him as a running mate!), he would shore up support from the center at a time when the Dems are weak anyway. Powell would lend the conservative slant and I think the two are more than enough to stop a Hillary ticket in its tracks.

Then for 2016, we'd have Powell/Guilliani

In 2024 it would be Guilliani/Rice

In 2032 it would be Rice/? Rice would be... like what? 75? That could be a problem.

Then for 2040, it would be Schwarzenegger/Arma. Of course, Arnie would be preserved by super chemicals so his age at 90 plus wouldn't be a big deal.

Then in 2048 I would establish a world dictatorship and create world peace through order and discipline. HAHAHAHAHAHA! *washes hands in the air menacingly* Excellent!

As for Obama, he is overhyped. That is the dems charming little wonderboy.

Sorry. I broke my own rules. But it was alot of fun and so tempting!
    Last edited by Divinus Arma; 07-10-2005 at 04:55.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    I didn't know Clinton was a republican.
    What? I dont' understand.

I would say H.Clinton if Democrat, or McCain if Republican. Either of them is pretty good. As long as it's not George Bush again, or his evil cousin Jeb, I'm happy.
    Hillary MUST be stopped at all cost. The horror. The horror.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

If Hillary wins the Dem primary, then the Democratic party might as well dissolve and make room for another camp. Hil would be a positively suicidal choice. America may be ready for a woman president, but I seriously doubt it's ready for Hillary.

Whatever - I think it is very likely we are going to get a moderate, whoever wins. H.Clinton for the Dems I reckon or mcCain for the GOP - either way a step forward for the US as both of those have earned some of my respect even if they are both capitalist pigs.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

hmm

as much as i would like to see Rice as president - if it was hillary in the demo-n seat - id like to see rice as VP
    some sort of MODERATE republican male should run as president - even though he would just be the trojan horse to get a women into the top 2 spot

mcain i dont really respect that much - i know he has his own opinion, but i am not convinced - id better do some research

i want to see the abortion issue resolved in some way - and a moderate, im afraid, would most likely avoid this issue

i dont know - i havnt given it as much though as i'd like to yet
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 07-10-2005 at 05:30.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Any Democrat except Hilary

Gah!

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Russ Feingold, Wisconsin Senator. Someone who is certainly liberal, elected in a 50-50 state. He spends his time in Wisconsin traveling talking to people, he was the only Senator to vote against the PATRIOT ACT(even if you disagree with that, at least he's not a poll driven coward like every other democratic senator). Even if you don't agree with many of his policies he's a reasonable trust worthy guy.
    As VP, Clarke maybe give him a little firmer backing.
    http://feingold.senate.gov/index.html
    Last edited by JimBob; 07-10-2005 at 05:57.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Hillary's not a moderate Jag. You have to watch them for more than the year before they decide to run.

Here's my picks, and honestly, I'm not a Republican, I don't know which I like better...

Democrat: Senator Bayh. Moderate on social issues. Conservative on domestic security. A favorite of unions. A Gephardt with guts, if you will.

Republican: Governor Pataki. Pro-choice, pro-immigration Republican that has enough groundswell, and more importantly, few enough enemies in the dominant party, to carry him through.

I agree that the next President must be able to be 'displayed' as a moderate in October of 2008, but Hillary cannot credibly be displayed as a moderate. It would kill her whole platform. If something in the polls indicates America wants a Left turn, she's a great pick.

Condoleeza will not get the vote out from Republicans. She's too internationalist, and she comes off as though she forgets there's 300 million people here too.

Giuliani will be on the next cabinet, but he can never run for the Repubican nomination, and more importantly, he shouldn't. The party of values, laugh all you want, cannot nominate a man who paraded around town with his mistress for 3 years.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Blog Entries

From What I understand is that the Demos won't be supporting Hillary if McCain is going to run for the presidency. McCain looks fairly unbeatable at this point versus anything that the Democrats could possibly throw at him. However if McCain doesn't run for president, then the Democrats would probably go with Hillary, who by public opinion would still probably win against anything the Republicans could throw at her.

Having that Said. I think McCain would be the best choice, he is well liked on both sides, and it's time America has a moderate in charge. I'm sick of way left (Clinton) and Way Right (GWB). Too bad FDR wasn't still alive.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

(c) Please be serious. I don't want to see mickey mouse and superman here.
    Apparently you don't know the backroom very well. We don't usually joke about things like this around here. We are for a lack of a better phrase veteran political animals.

What? I dont' understand.
    I was referring to this:
    "24 years of straight republican dominance of the white house."
    Lol, where is Clinton in those 24 years of republicans in the white house?

I seriously hope Guliani, Rice, nor Pataki get nominated. Not because they are conservative but because they are incompetent, and not all conservative candidates are(I'm not implying that either).

McCain is the DA man!
    Vote for him everyone!

I would vote for Hillary though if I was American, just to piss off all the Bush lovers. Hihi!

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Apparently you don't know the backroom very well. We don't usually joke about things like this around here. We are for a lack of a better phrase veteran political animals.

I was referring to this:
    "24 years of straight republican dominance of the white house."
    Lol, where is Clinton in those 24 years of republicans in the white house?

I seriously hope Guliani, Rice, nor Pataki get nominated. Not because they are conservative but because they are incompetent, and not all conservative candidates are(I'm not implying that either).

McCain is the DA man!
    Vote for him everyone!

I would vote for Hillary though if I was American, just to piss off all the Bush lovers. Hihi!
    Okay, simply because BP is nominating McCain, I want him dead on a beach somewhere. Capos, you know what to do....

Just kidding. Interesting choice for you BP. There's plenty of Democrats, and, for that matter Republicans that better square with your views than McCain. Why him?

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the GOP:

Massachusetts Gov Mitt Romney (sp?) small gov guy, anti-gay marriage, etc. but not pro gun. He might actually carry MA.

Washington Gov in exile Dino Rossi- Former businessman, lost to that slimeball gregoire by 120~ votes where there were at least 1600 fraudulent votes. Seems like a good guy, but not much experience.

Others I can't think of now.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I really have doubts that McCain could win the Republican primary- and I wouldn't want him to. There's got to be a real conservative out there somewhere. I don't see a big government moderate who's beholden to unions as a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 07-10-2005 at 06:37.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Unles Mc Cain runs as an idependent you can forget about him. He will never win the republican nomination.

Any Democrat except Hilary
    So we all know your not voting democratic in ths one then.

Massachusetts Gov Mitt Romney (sp?) small gov guy, anti-gay marriage, etc. but not pro gun. He might actually carry MA.
    Hes my favorite so far. A real level headed guy.

McCain/Powell
    As I said Mc Cains toast now and Powell promised his wife he would never run. Your dreams over time 2 wake up.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

There's no way Romney will ever win the GNP nomination. He's too anti-gun. He's already said he reads the 2nd ammendment to read state-militias and nothing more. More importantly, he supports stem cell research, banning school prayer, and following the Kyoto accords. In my mind, all but the gun issue are sideline issues for a US president, but that should be enough to toast him with conservatives. Left-leaning northeastern fiscally conservative, socially liberal republicans (and by the way, I'm a left-leaning, northeastern, fiscally conservative, socially liberal sometimes republican) don't do well in national elections. Bill Weld anyone?

Strike for the South

Condoleeza will not get the vote out from Republicans. She's too internationalist, and she comes off as though she forgets there's 300 million people here too.
    Too internationalist? Shes doing her job as Sec. of State. And I dont understand the other comment.. she seems nice enough to me.

I love Condi. But she's been NSA her entire career. She has no head for domestic politics. She should be the next Sec of Defense, not the next President.

Strike for the South

If hilary clinton wins then bill would be the first first man.

I hope its not rice.

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

McCain will never get the GOP nomination.

Byzantine Prince: your "能力は機会なしの何もでない" Doesn't make sense. The grammar is screwed up.

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

If republicans want this country to unite together and to have a very good leader then he will win.

But, still he probably wont win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    McCain will never get the GOP nomination.
    Perhaps he'll run as a 3rd party candidate... he could found the "Media Darling" party.
    -Abraham Lincoln

KOA,

Again, I like you, so don't take this the wrong way... you have to stop looking at politics as a gut reaction and start looking at the big picture.

The Republicans wont' nominate McCain for President because they know better than anyone (from dealing with him over the years) he's fatally flawed int that role, namely, his temper is unstoppable. He would have nuked somebody on Sept. 12th. He is a great an honorable man who served, and continues to serve his country admirably. But President is not an honorary title, and it's not a popularity contest (at least it shouldn't be). It's about who can blend all the multiple competing needs the best. Presidents dont' set agendas, they address them. And I'm sorry "I will make you pay if you screw with me", as much as I admire the shit out of it (and employ it) is not a useful strategy for a President. Unfortunately, that's what McCain is all about.

Strike for the South

Don, his temper may be problem, but it's his lack of conservative credentials that is the real problem. For example, campaign finance reform and his 'deal' on judicial nominees.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I actually think these stand as plusses. I dont' agree with his stance on either issue, but I'm somewhat of an idealogue, as are you. Who do you think the middle is going to vote for?

Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    KOA,

Again, I like you, so don't take this the wrong way... you have to stop looking at politics as a gut reaction and start looking at the big picture.

The Republicans wont' nominate McCain for President because they know better than anyone (from dealing with him over the years) he's fatally flawed int that role, namely, his temper is unstoppable. He would have nuked somebody on Sept. 12th. He is a great an honorable man who served, and continues to serve his country admirably. But President is not an honorary title, and it's not a popularity contest (at least it shouldn't be). It's about who can blend all the multiple competing needs the best. Presidents dont' set agendas, they address them. And I'm sorry "I will make you pay if you screw with me", as much as I admire the shit out of it (and employ it) is not a useful strategy for a President. Unfortunately, that's what McCain is all about.

I look at the big picture, but no offense taken

Though he has a temper, as president he would be advised and readvised before he made any rash decision. Maybe he would be suited better as a vp?

But, i know, as well as many here, that he probably wont be voted cause he is a moderate republican and those are few in number these days. Most republicans want more of a conservative than him.

I dont know much about his temper, so when it is actuall relatively close to election time i check it out, or when one of you tells me about it .

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I actually think these stand as plusses. I dont' agree with his stance on either issue, but I'm somewhat of an idealogue, as are you. Who do you think the middle is going to vote for?
    Well, in a general election that might help him but primary voters usually are idealouges.

McCain has also been soft on illegal immigration and was denounced by the Arizona Republican Association for it. This reminds me does anyone think immigration reform is going to be a big issue for the next election?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast