Poll: Abortion, yes or no

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion, yes or no

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Abortion, yes or no

Im sure this has already been debated, but oh well.

So, do you belive legalizing abortion is a good or bad idea.

Default Re: Abortion, yes or no

At what freaking stage? Turning abortion into a yes or no issue has created the entire quagmire that is the US abortion laws.

I support the right to first trimester abortions. Second trimester I probably don't. Third trimester I certainly don't. Unless there rae health reasons.

So what do I vote?

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Abortion, unless for certain reasons (rape, incest and medical reasons), is wrong, therefore it should not be made legal. It is after all, the question over wether an unborn child (its supporters like to dehumanise it into a "foetus")is allowed to live or not, and I think that the modern world, on the whole, is too morally lax to be allowed to make such a decision.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Yes, but only during the first 2-3 months (I also like the idea of mandatory counseling like we have it here).
    After 3 months there should be special reasons (e.g., risk for the mother, rape - but even for rape cases there should be a certain threshold)

Oh my - how many times must we do this, you yanks are far too preoccupied with it.

But, of course I voted yes, providing it is in the first 24 weeks.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Yes up to 12 weeks.
    After that it should be determined by a board of doctors and psychologists if an abortion should be carried out.
    There should be a barrier of 22 weeks where after that no abortions should be carried out.
    There should be regulations on the abortion techniques and methods.
    E.g. up to 8 weeks allows abortion by operation, after that the abortion should be carried out by putting the mother into labour.
    Status Emeritus

I remember a guy saying that everybody should have reversible vasectomies, tying of Falopian tubes etc. until they had somehow proved themselves to be worthy and desirous of children. This would do away with huge demands for abortion and prevent scum from breeding and creating a million ruined childhoods.

Isn't that an excellent idea?
    o.k. it has a few hints of eugenics but then again so does abortion on demand.

No. Two exceptions are rape and incest.

Abortion is state sanctioned murder.

No it is not, but death penalty is, which you approve of.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

I can distinguish between a child and a criminal, can you?

What i dont get is why is okay to have an abortion early, but not later?

Is killing a two year old different than killling a four year old??

What i dont get is why is okay to have an abortion early, but not later?
    They use junk science to help justify enabling murder on a genocidal scale to themselves..

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    They use junk science to help justify enabling murder on a genocidal scale to themselves..
    lol, oh dear. What rubbish.

As to your position a fellow patron pointing it out perfectly.

Hypocrisy.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

How is the death penalty murder?

Killing someone cause the commited a crime, ands it usually has to be a very big crime to get the death penalty. Should we release such crimanals on the street or give them worse punishment of life in prison?

And could someone who supports abortion please explain why aborting earlier is any different?

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

It is not within the appropriate use of State power to demand that a women carry a fetus - if the fetus can be delivered alive then that should be attempted, but the State should not be able to control the body of any free person.

Of course, abortion is a horrible, sad, difficult thing. I personally am opposed to it, I just don't think it is something the State needs to be involved in. Matters such as this should be left up to the woman, father, and their doctors, families, and counselors. Not some old Senator or bureaucrat.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    So, do you belive legalizing abortion is a good or bad idea.
    As far as I know abortion is already legalised...

If you want to fight the way US performs abortions, first compromise.
    Status Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hundreds of people die every day, whats one more? I personally don't care.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Abortion is a very bad thing.... It shouldn't be legalised....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

"Junk science" by your definition. Excuse us if we rather go by science than by "what Panzerjager believes to be the truth"

Blog Entries

Well you can make abortions illegal on your side of the fence, and I'll make em' legal on my side, and we'll see which side is more miserable after each side decides to have a huge population boom, with little or no economic malleability. Really, though, I don't care... I think educating people on not having sex is still a better alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazikashi
    I think educating people on not having sex is still a better alternative.
    Educating people on not having sex?Thats one mighty task for someone.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Of course killing a child is wrong.

But this entire argument revolves around the definition of when a child is alive.

Do you say that a baby is alive at conception, at birth, or sometime in between? Most countries that allow abortion put the limit at the absolute earliest time at which a child can survive outside of its mother, e.g. 24 Weeks in the U.K..

Personally I think that this is a good limit to put on abortion.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Ummm, why do we need abortio begin with. Is it not because of our own mistakes? A woman's right to choose? Is that a joke? The right to choose hapens *before* you have sex. Even Jebus would tell you that.

I don't know when a baby's life begins and frankly I don't care. Condoms were invented for a reason. And if you don't wanna risk it abstain until you're married. How hard is it?!?!

For now I think it's irresponsible to have abortions when we don't enough about human biology to prove the existence of life. Hell if we could prove that then we could find a way to bcome immortal once and for all.

So to put it all in perspective, abortions should be illigal and those people that take the chance of having kids early(meaning having sex) should bear the responsibilities and take care of the kid the best they can. It's their fault, if we tolerate it then we make it more widespread.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Condoms were invented for a reason.
    They're not 100% effective
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Ummm, why do we need abortio begin with. Is it not because of our own mistakes? A woman's right to choose? Is that a joke? The right to choose hapens *before* you have sex. Even Jebus would tell you that.

I don't know when a baby's life begins and frankly I don't care. Condoms were invented for a reason. And if you don't wanna risk it abstain until you're married. How hard is it?!?!

For now I think it's irresponsible to have abortions when we don't enough about human biology to prove the existence of life. Hell if we could prove that then we could find a way to bcome immortal once and for all.

So to put it all in perspective, abortions should be illigal and those people that take the chance of having kids early(meaning having sex) should bear the responsibilities and take care of the kid the best they can. It's their fault, if we tolerate it then we make it more widespread.
    Well, it is only a few rapists who are gentleman enough to wrap a condom around the little weenie during the rape...
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

So all you guys don't mind if a panel of women decide if you get a vasectomy or not?

Is masturbation denial of those sperms right to life? If only you did the right thing they could have gone on to be fully fledged humans. But instead of a nice healthy womb they are deposited in their millions in a tissue.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Abortion is state sanctioned murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    I´d say both are.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Is masturbation denial of those sperms right to life? If only you did the right thing they could have gone on to be fully fledged humans. But instead of a nice healthy womb they are deposited in their millions in a tissue.
    Sperm on its own will not become human life. Sperm combined with egg will.

Junk science" by your definition. Excuse us if we rather go by science than by "what Panzerjager believes to be the truth"
    Ive seen the definition of human change over and over again. 3 weeks, 3 months - its junk. The only for sure definition is conception.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Is masturbation denial of those sperms right to life?
    The story of Onan the Barbarian would suggest that deliberately killing your sperm is a no-no; not only displeasing to God, but also a form of single-cell genocide.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast