Thread: Where Luxembourg Leads, the World Will Follow!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Where Luxembourg Leads, the World Will Follow!

Thank goodness, Luxembourg voted to ratify the EU constitution. Now so long as we have Andorra, Lichtenstein, Monaco and San Marino on board, Europe should become a superstate lickety-split.

Do Europeans also find microstates funny, or is that more of an American thing?

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Default Re: Where Luxembourg Leads, the World Will Follow!

Andorra, Lichtenstein, Monaco and San Marino are not in the EU. They are just tiny principalities from the old days, when Europe was made of a patchwork of those places.

Monaco is a protectorate of France so I guess it's sort of in the EU.

PS. Everyone finds microstates funny. They are all so cute and small.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

One day I will conquer Luxemborg and take over the world! löl (I love German keyboards)

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

I wonder if america will ever have the AU.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why are EU votes still going on? Hasn't the double (triple if you include Britain) rejection scrapped the whole plan? Is the EU leadership just in denial, thinking they will just keep on making referendums until they get approved?

Crazed Rabbit

PS: Anyone see the movie 'The Mouse That Roared', where a microstate holds the world hostage with a nuclear superbomb?
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 07-10-2005 at 19:23. Reason: Non-verbal adjunctive alternism
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

There will never be a AU, because the United States of America, is essentially a EU, a constitution, and held together under a President.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Why are EU votes still going on? Hasn't the double (triple if you include Britain) rejection scrapped the whole plan? Is the EU leadership just in denial, thinking they will just keep on making referendums until they get approved?
    Well, Britain hasn't rejected the constitution (although it would if a referumdum were to be held tommorrow).

There are arguments for and against continuing to hold referenda.

For: each country/its people should have the ability to express its opinions on the constitution.

Against: it's a waste of time and money.

Personally, I would say that countries that decide not to hold referenda are justified in doing so: referenda cost a lot of money and it wouldn't actually do anything.

Of course, Tony Blair has called off the referendum to avoid having a political headache fighting a referendum campaign.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    PS: Anyone see the movie 'The Mouse That Roared', where a microstate holds the world hostage with a nuclear superbomb?
    I saw that on TV when I was an tiny tot. Was it funny? I don't remember much about it. I was probably more interested in toy wood blocks at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus
    Well, Britain hasn't rejected the constitution (although it would if a referumdum were to be held tommorrow).
    That's what you think. Once Britannia sees Luxembourg blazing a trail to the future, however, the public will raise a hue and cry for Union! Like the saying goes, "The bulldog of Britain follows the Llama of Luxembourg." Or something like that.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-10-2005 at 22:54.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

According to Dubya, Luxembourg's Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker's is a "piece of work." So I guess it is important that Luxembourg has ratified the EU's charter. Maybe that line can be added to their tourist info.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurmania
    Once Britannia sees Luxembourg blazing a trail to the future, however, the public will raise a hue and cry for Union!
    Ah, how well you know the British people!
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

This is too funny to let pass:

Luxembourg's foreign minister had a nice metaphor.

Asked if the "Yes" vote was like giving a dead person a vaccination, he said Europe had had a bad cold but the people of Luxembourg had given it a nice cup of tea with a drop of honey, and the patient was now getting better.

At last a country that can stand up for what it has committed earlier.....

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Asked if the "Yes" vote was like giving a dead person a vaccination, he said Europe had had a bad cold but the people of Luxembourg had given it a nice cup of tea with a drop of honey, and the patient was now getting better
    Its a little known fact that Luxembourg receives over 50% of EU subsidies for bathos.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia on European Microstates
    European microstates

The European microstates are those microstates located in Europe...
    Brilliant
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

It looks like the elite are gearing up to sneak in the EU constitution by the back door.

Following his victory in this referendum, he has said that a majority of EU countries have now backed the constitution.
    I fell of my chair laughing at this, well I would if it was funny. These arrogant fools just do not know when they are beaten and they have to stop this nonsense. Again and again if a vote does not go their way they say 'it wasn't REALLY a vote against the EU, they were voting against their governments.'...Err hello!!! it was a vote against the EU, it's just that the elites who rake off a forune from this gravy train won't/can't accept the fact.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Where Luxembourg Leads, the World Will Follow!

The vote in France was not a vote against the EU. It was a vote against Chirac and Raffarin, just as all other votes that happen in France. You never vote on the given topic but for or against the current gvt.

and there was I thinking that it was a vote to ratify the EU constitution.

If you hate Chirac that much ....you must have a mechanism to get rid of unpopular leaders, (we have a vote of no-confidence in the UK), if so...why not use it?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    we have a vote of no-confidence in the UK
    But it can only be called by parliament, and only parliament can vote in it. 'The people' can't call for or vote in a vote of no confidence.

technically, yes, it is the poeple who calls the vote of no confidence, since the people in parliament represent the people - this is always the problem with representative democracy instead of direct democracy.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    technically, yes, it is the poeple who calls the vote of no confidence, since the people in parliament represent the people - this is always the problem with representative democracy instead of direct democracy.
    Parliament is supposed to represent the people, but it does not really represent the people. For example, only 36% of people votes labour in the last election, yet they have a majority in parliament.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Where Luxembourg Leads, the World Will Follow!

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    The vote in France was not a vote against the EU. It was a vote against Chirac and Raffarin, just as all other votes that happen in France. You never vote on the given topic but for or against the current gvt.
    That's very interesting to know. I can't say that I see it being a particularly pragmatic way to deal with one's elected officials. Sort of confusing the messenger for the message.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Where Luxembourg Leads, the World Will Follow!

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    didn't the same happened in the Netherlands a vote against Balkenende?
    if so they schouldn't give it much attention but why do you let people vote about something they know nothing about? I think they schould inform the people much better cause now only "the bad things" are known.

-GG

shouldn't the constitution be dead in the water now? I thought it had to be ratified by every single state in the E.U.

However, I do not know how legally binding the lost referenda were.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy_is_a_Taff
    shouldn't the constitution be dead in the water now? I thought it had to be ratified by every single state in the E.U.

However, I do not know how legally binding the lost referenda were.
    The constitution, as it stands, is dead. I don't think that the referenda were legally binding, but I think that both the governments have said that they will not go against the will of their people. It would be polictical impossible for Chirac to say that France is going to ratify the constitution despite the referendum.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

indeed it is dead I thik all of the leaders must see that and all know that they can start over again. But in the other hand I think it will fail again unless everybody is well informed and if they wouldn't vote against their government. And I think it's dead without it should be. perhaps a few changes but I don't think it was that bad at all...

now why can't I write proper English
    Last edited by Moros; 07-11-2005 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia on European Microstates
    European microstates

The European microstates are those microstates located in Europe...

Brilliant
    I still got lots of love for the Wikipedia, even when it has infelicitous prose. I'm a total sucker for the free dissemination of information. And the girl I know who works for Britannica hates her boss, so, um, that's plenty of reason for me to wish hellfire and Chaper 11 on those leather-tome-selling fools.