Thread: The British and Foreign languages

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Default The British and Foreign languages

In a few weeks time I shall be off to Francophone Switzerland for my holidays, and have been booking mountain huts etc. Although the Swiss (in marked contrast to another french speaking nation we could mention) seem to be very tolerant of my french (which is very much of the "Je voudrais une chambre" and "ou se trouve la plage" variety) I have once again been forced to confront my lack of foreign languages.

Which is notoriously a national failing.

But, I was thinking as I looked for my old French text books (Le Francais de aujourd'hui, which should of course now be Le Francais de il y a vingt ans) maybe one trouible is which language to learn? Last year I was in Norway, the year before in Spain (digressing, I remember just enough spanish from school to confuse my french) and so on. Once I was in Poland and lets face it Polish isn't going to be top of anyones list.

What I am saying is, if you speak English, and live in Europe, there isn't a very obvious second choice. In Uk schools people tend to get taught french but i don't know if there is any very good reason for it, as opposed to, say, Italian or Spanish or German.

So, I was wondering, what do people think is the most useful second language to learn in Europe and why? Personally if we were starting from scratch I would not bother with French (which the French will always pretend you can't speak anyway) and, provided its not too difficult, put everyone onto German.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Default Re: The British and Foreign languages

well German is good, but It's hard to learn from scratch.
    however if you have experience with latin then german grammer would be a little easier.
    But Spanish is also a good language to learn, since a lot of countries use that language, good for backpakking trips ;)
    And a lot of people in the world use the language, that's not true with German.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

I agree, I'd go for Spanish....closely followed by Portuguese. After all they are also an 'international' language, much like English.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    So, I was wondering, what do people think is the most useful second language to learn in Europe and why?
    English

But for native English speakers (i.e. the British), I would say any of French, German, Spanish and Italian, because these are the languages of the places Britons seem most likely to visit. They are also quite 'international' languages, so are useful in that respect too.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Default Re : The British and Foreign languages

Remember that Blair won the olympics for London.....speaking in French . Now you know what the ultimate choice is .
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

As a second language, it's hard to tell.....

I study French, but I hate it...
    I studied German, I liked it but I went to another school....
    I studied Japanese, the teacher got a job and I left Japanese( I liked the Japanese language )

I wanna study German and Italian. And possibly Spanish or Portuguese....
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 07-11-2005 at 15:08.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

portuguese is cool but the native speakers speak it so fast i cant keep up with it. same for french and italian. prolly leftovers from rome cuz the had no spaces i think.

We do not sow.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Latin is useful in the Western countries of Europe, as it is the root of Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian. HOwever, unless you go to the Vatican, you won't find it very useful in talking to people.
    P.S Where are you going in Switzerland, EA?
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

hmmm... you could always learn Scots, incase you wish to hazard a trip north of the border. A Briton should never need a foreign language. Foreigners should always speak English, and if they do not, then it is entirely their fault. We didn't have to Empire for nothing, you know.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

England doesn't need a second language, english is the most common language in the world. If you have to have a second language I would pick german or chinese.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Choose Arabic and you are pretty much guarenteed a job if you speak English too.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

German has the largest economy in Europe, so that is a good language to learn (yes, I'm biased, so what). Another good one would be Spanish, maybe Italian?

Learn Welsh, just in case you end up in the middle of Wales and nobody speaks English.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

Spanish. Reason being it's spoken not only in Europe, but a few countries in Asia, and all of Latin America except Brazil.
    It helps me!
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martinus
    Learn Welsh, just in case you end up in the middle of Wales and nobody speaks English.
    Are there still people in Wales who still don't speak English? Because I thought they died out years ago
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

No, no, that's Scots Gaelic you're thinking of. The Welsh Group-of-people-who-try-and-run-things-but-have-no-power are quite good at restoring the language, unlike the Scottish Executive, which seems remarkably good at lowering the numbers of Gaelic speakers, despite its desperate attempts...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Welsh? yeah, right... I can't really understand why even the Welsh learn Weslh. I mean, I am all in favour of pride in your culture etc but come on, in the schiools wouldn't it serve the kids much better to teach them a nore useful language? Like, say, Swedish?

They can learn Welsh at home if they like.

P.S Where are you going in Switzerland, EA?
    Les Dent du Midi, and Lausanne. Looks cracking. Plenty of mountains, and trains that run on time. Brilliant.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Spanish, cos it's used outside of Europe (more than any other European language too).

I would say that if you were prioritizing (that's right, spelled with a 'z', just like it sounds!), German would be pretty much out, as the Germans by and large seem to speak pretty damned good English.

DA