Thread: Help with 3d studio max

Default Help with 3d studio max

Hi guys. I have a problem loading a model with texture in the 3ds max. on the totalwar.org forum when they are showing tutorials they have texture on their models but not me. Here's a picture please help. :blushing:

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Default Re: Help with 3d studio max

Click M to bring up the material editor (since I don't see the icon on your window). At the Editor, click on the icon of a cube with blue-white checkered pattern. That should show the texture.

That was assuming you've loaded the texture. You will know if you've loaded it or not by looking at the balls at the Material Editor. If there's one ball with your texture on it, you have loaded it. If you haven't, at the Material Editor window there's a small button (square) with the letter M on it (it's on one of the roll-down menu). Click that to choose your texture.

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

You may have to set the filepath of the texture files with the cas importer and then check the "force texture path" box and then that should find the correct one from the unpacked pack files. That is presuming you have used the X-Pack tool to extract the texture files. If you haven't there is a tutorial in the scriptorium on using the X-Pack

thanks m8 now it shows the texture but i have a problem, i'll let screenshot speak any help on that?

Isänmaantoivo Member Kääpäkorven Konsuli's Avatar

I have a question too. How do I connect polygons in max? I just cannot find any way.
    Bliss is ignorance

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Maximus> that's because you're using the wrong texture. If you want to know the right texture name, you have to find it at desc_model_battle.txt

If what you're doing is using your own texture, I suggest to find the correct texture for the model, then position your texture (cutting and pasting pieces) on top of the original texture. That saves a lot of time and effort.

Otherwise, here's what you do:
    Click on the Modifier List scroll down list. Find Unwrap UVW near the bottom. Once you got that, click on the button Edit... under the sub-menu Parameters and you'll get your UVW and the texture. Basically UVW is like the coordinates on your vertices ON the texture.

It's simpler if you based your new texture on the original texture's positions.

Konsuli> connect polygons? You have to be more specific. Do you want to weld vertices or just attach separate objects? Or connecting them to the skeleton?

You can use the fuse and weld tools to connect vertices which is one way of merging faces. If you want to attach seperate polys then you just use the attatch button but I guess you're talking about joining ajoining polys to reduce the poly count. To do this weld the verts, I find it is the cleanest way to do it.

thanks for your help guys, i really appreciated it.Now i can skin/mod.Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by wlesmana
    Maximus>
    Konsuli> connect polygons? You have to be more specific.
    Ok, Iam not very familiar whit this modelling language yet.
    But anyway, if I have two points (those are called polygons?) and I want to make that "line" between them. It is bit difficult to explain complicated things like this whit my english. Here is a picture:

x_____________x

x---------------x
    Last edited by Kääpäkorven Konsuli; 07-12-2005 at 09:02.
    Bliss is ignorance

points or corners are known as 'vertices'. A single one is a vertex.
    In order to make a valid polygon, you need at least 3 vertices.

Now....if you are looking at making a model for RTW, it needs to ALL be made up of triangles.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    points or corners are known as 'vertices'. A single one is a vertex.
    In order to make a valid polygon, you need at least 3 vertices.

Now....if you are looking at making a model for RTW, it needs to ALL be made up of triangles.
    Thanks, I always mess vertex and polygon.
    So, how do I connect vertices to make a polygon?
    Bliss is ignorance

From memory, assuming your object has been converted to an editable mesh, there is an option at either polygon or vertex level to 'create a polygon' by generating new vertices.

If you are trying to start a new object, it is quite often easier to start working with a 'primitive' object like a cube or suchlike. Then push, pull extrude etc. until you have the shape you need.

I recommend you either search out some beginner tutorials on the net, or a buy a good book on Max. You are REALLY going to struggle unless you can do the basics with cinfidence and find your way around the rather cluttered and complex Max interface.

As I said before, I presumed you were talking about vertices because that is the way to join polys. You must weld them together. It's fairly easy, use the weld tool (somewhere on the right hand side along with extrude tools). First select the vertices to be welded and then press the weld button (you want "selected weld") WARNING: Using select weld creates extra edges, so don't be confused if you are wondering where they came from. You can use other weld techniques such as drag welding to pick up and drop one vertex on another so ones position doesn't move. As Bwian suggested I think you should get a book so you can learn about border welding, multiple welding etc.

Regards,

Sundjata Keita

Thanks a lot! Things will be much easier now.
    It isn't the modelling, I have done it before but this program...
    I try to get along whit tutorials I found from internet, there is only 24 days left of my trial so I don't have any need to buy a book before I get full copy of max. If ever get one...
    Bliss is ignorance

There is also a way of directly generating a polygon by clicking on the vetices you want to build a polgon around and clicking new points too. Personally, though, it's not a good way to begin. You are far better off creating a block and extruding, slicing and stretching to build the shape you want. Imagine it as more like 'sculpting' rather than building it up from nothing. Your initial cube/sphere/whatever is like your lump of clay that you will carve, stretch and mould to shape. If you want to add more parts, then you create a new 'lump' and stick it on when you are done!

Well there are many different ways to model including block modelling which is basic shapes and attatching them together and modfeling them into more complicated objects, this is the main way. There is also spline modelling, 2D primitives, mesh, the list goes on. And don't forget you can download g-max for free, it doesn't have a render function or export but other than that it is pretty much 3ds MAX.

Arbeit macht fleisch Member ScionTheWorm's Avatar

off topic, but is it just the export script for 3dsmax that doesn't support multiple texture files, or is it rtw?

Both

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Buildings in R:TW do support multiple textures though.