Thread: Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Well the title pretty much says it all. Do you think the wortld would be a better place if we all lived under the government of the US? Nations would become states with all the same rights and privilges of our current states. If you dont like our form of government what one would you prefer in such a situtaion? Remember you can only choose one nation and form of government to rule the world.

Darn it this belongs in the back room where Beruit when I need him?
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 07-11-2005 at 22:22.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Default Re: Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

This is probaly going to be moved...

No. The all or nothing system that tends to run in our gov is I think a bad idea. Proportional representation is a good idea I think(a party gets 10 percent of the votes, they get 10 percent of the seats).

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

I think the world should divided into city states.

Each city state has its own elected council and public forums where people can discuss things with other people and the council members. This will make the council member more accountable to the people and force them to talk to the people.

Each city would send a representative, which is elected by the city council, to a global council.

The heads of state would be an Emperor, preferable me, and two elected (by the global council) Consuls, one left winger, one right winger, so everything neither side can get total power. They will all have equal power.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

no, plain and simple. The world would not adapt to American politics and the Americans wouldn't be liked all around the world for it.
    Isn't this a political thread? Perhaps it should be moved to the backroom.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Do you think the world would be a better place if we all lived under the government of the US? Nations would become states with all the same rights and privilges of our current states.
    Well, considering the state that most of the world is in, of course.
    If you dont like our form of government what one would you prefer in such a sitution? Remember you can only choose one nation and form of government to rule the world.
    The centralized, dirigiste French form!

Paris should rule you rule you pityful peasant lot.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Put quite simply, no. People (as in people of a nation) want to be self-governing, not ruled by another group of people with completely different cultures.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

No.clearly and absolutely no.Not under USA or any other national state.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus
    Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Put quite simply, no. People (as in people of a nation) want to be self-governing, not ruled by another group of people with completely different cultures.
    Agreed

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Maybe a better way to word the question would be 'Would the world be better off under a government that is modeled exactly like the one that holds sway over the US?(House, senate, exec, state govs with a lot of power etc)' Well, on second though yes, since even our very imperfect democracy is better than a dictatorship right(this is assuming that most of the world lives under dictators, which may be wrong). A proportional representation system is better though.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

No - I think the world would be a much better place if there were NO nation states.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Humping trees up a hill in 30 degree celcius all day and almost barfing from the heat. GAH!

As to your wishes...

Moved.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Well the title pretty much says it all. Do you think the wortld would be a better place if we all lived under the government of the US? Nations would become states with all the same rights and privilges of our current states. If you dont like our form of government what one would you prefer in such a situtaion? Remember you can only choose one nation and form of government to rule the world.

Maybe it's my national pride, but yes, I do think the world would be a better place. (Letting the flaming begin )

I have no doubt about it but its amusing seeeing all these people say otherwise. The world would be better off under the rule of any number of democratic nations. Pindar keeps hinting at this sort of thing with his democratic nation only United Nations. Again if all the free world made the spread of democracy their main concern much of the worlds problems would be solved.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

I have no doubt about it but its amusing seeeing all these people say otherwise. The world would be better off under the rule of any number of democratic nations. Pindar keeps hinting at this sort of thing with his democratic nation only United Nations. Again if all the free world made the spread of democracy their main concern much of the worlds problems would be solved.
    Except many nations would reject democracy, such as many middle eastern nations.

Except many nations would reject democracy, such as many middle eastern nations.
    You really thik so? I doubt it. Sure their governments might not like it but I think the people would think differently. You dont think everyone wants to be free? Are the people of the middle east different than those in the rest of the world? How do you know when they have never been given a choice?

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

yes i do. What do you think the average middle easterner's reaction to seperation of church and state would be?

You really thik so? I doubt it. Sure their governments might not like it but I think the people would think differently. You dont think everyone wants to be free? Are the people of the middle east different than those in the rest of the world? How do you know when they have never been given a choice?
    In Algeria the Front Islamique du Salut (FIS; Islamic Salvation Front), after winning municipal and provincial elections, was about to win the 1991-92 parliamentary elections, when the army stepped in to depose Bendjedid and cancelled the elections.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I am confused. Your proposal is that all nations become states as part of the United States with equal rights? That would be great. I would accept that immediately (Even though some details should be adjusted first) But that would not mean that the US as we know it today would rules. Right?
    You can also take any other state that has democracy - maybe not GB, I do not like kings and queens.

If all nations join the US the problem with illegal immigrants would be solved

I am confused
    How so?

Your proposal is that all nations become states as part of the United States with equal rights? That would be great. I would accept that immediately (Even though some details should be adjusted first) But that would not mean that the US as we know it today would rules. Right?
    Yes Washington would be the capital but as you said every nation or state as it were would get 2 senators and the same proportion as our current states in the house. Since the constitution only says that the president for instance must be born in the US anyone in the world could be preisdent. It certainly would be a huge improvement over what we have now.

If all nations join the US the problem with illegal immigrants would be solved
    Of course as there would be no such thing as immigrants just out of staters

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

How so?
    The title 'US ruled the world' cunfused me. Because equal rights mean world population rules. By the way, it would not make much sense to call this global state 'United States of America', right. Maybe it should simply be named 'United Nations'.
    Yes Washington would be the capital but as you said every nation or state as it were would get 2 senators and the same proportion as our current states in the house. Since the constitution only says that the president for instance must be born in the US anyone in the world could be preisdent. It certainly would be a huge improvement over what we have now.
    Go ahead! I guess the next president could be Chinese!