Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Well the title pretty much says it all. Do you think the wortld would be a better place if we all lived under the government of the US? Nations would become states with all the same rights and privilges of our current states. If you dont like our form of government what one would you prefer in such a situtaion? Remember you can only choose one nation and form of government to rule the world.

Darn it this belongs in the back room where Beruit when I need him?
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 07-11-2005 at 22:22.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Default Re: Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

This is probaly going to be moved...

No. The all or nothing system that tends to run in our gov is I think a bad idea. Proportional representation is a good idea I think(a party gets 10 percent of the votes, they get 10 percent of the seats).

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

I think the world should divided into city states.

Each city state has its own elected council and public forums where people can discuss things with other people and the council members. This will make the council member more accountable to the people and force them to talk to the people.

Each city would send a representative, which is elected by the city council, to a global council.

The heads of state would be an Emperor, preferable me, and two elected (by the global council) Consuls, one left winger, one right winger, so everything neither side can get total power. They will all have equal power.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

no, plain and simple. The world would not adapt to American politics and the Americans wouldn't be liked all around the world for it.
    Isn't this a political thread? Perhaps it should be moved to the backroom.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Do you think the world would be a better place if we all lived under the government of the US? Nations would become states with all the same rights and privilges of our current states.
    Well, considering the state that most of the world is in, of course.
    If you dont like our form of government what one would you prefer in such a sitution? Remember you can only choose one nation and form of government to rule the world.
    The centralized, dirigiste French form!

Paris should rule you rule you pityful peasant lot.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Put quite simply, no. People (as in people of a nation) want to be self-governing, not ruled by another group of people with completely different cultures.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

No.clearly and absolutely no.Not under USA or any other national state.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus
    Would the world be a better place if the US ruled the world?

Put quite simply, no. People (as in people of a nation) want to be self-governing, not ruled by another group of people with completely different cultures.
    Agreed

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Maybe a better way to word the question would be 'Would the world be better off under a government that is modeled exactly like the one that holds sway over the US?(House, senate, exec, state govs with a lot of power etc)' Well, on second though yes, since even our very imperfect democracy is better than a dictatorship right(this is assuming that most of the world lives under dictators, which may be wrong). A proportional representation system is better though.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

No - I think the world would be a much better place if there were NO nation states.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Darn it this belongs in the back room where Beruit when I need him?
    Humping trees up a hill in 30 degree celcius all day and almost barfing from the heat. GAH!

As to your wishes...

Moved.
    Unto each good man a good dog

No it wouldn't. The set up of the US government is regiculous and very suceptable to corruption from outside sources. A british style parlimentary system would be best as a form of global government.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    A british style parlimentary system would be best as a form of global government.
    But with Proportional Representation
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    A british style parlimentary system would be best as a form of global government.
    A system where 37% of the voters produces a majority of 55% in the parliament? No thanks

CBR

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    A system where 37% of the voters produces a majority of 55% in the parliament? No thanks

CBR
    Hence, proportional representation

You should all submit to the Nordic wellfare state.
    It would be for your own good.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

NZ. It was the first to have womens right to vote.

Or The Commonwealth of Australia... at least the voting system is one of the most advanced. Federal and State system.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

If a government HAD to rule the entire world - I'd like it to have form as any of the scandinavian systems, or better yet direct democracy.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

or better yet direct democracy.
    Now theres a very scary thought.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sjakihata
    If a government HAD to rule the entire world - I'd like it to have form as any of the scandinavian systems, or better yet direct democracy.

Number one i dont want to vote on every little issue as that would be very time consuming, and a lot of people are way to stupid/uneducated to make the descisions.

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

While I agree with PAPEWAIO about NZ, the world is not ready for a "World Goverment".

We need to ensure all countries have a fair and proportional representation within their borders first. Add to that, full democratic freedoms for all citizens over 18, free education for the first 10 years of school. Once the world is full of educated and democratically minded peoples can we look to a world goverment.

Even advanced countries like the US and the UK do not have "proportional representation". They need to be changed first
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Most of the world would be much better off if they got the same benefits as US states do. Imagine what a boon that would be for Africa and parts of Asia, it would bring them into the 21st century.

I certainly wouldnt give them a place in congress though..

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Would this mean I'd have to pay taxes for the Ganges Valley Authority? Yikes. If you think pork-barrel politics is bad with just 50 states, the mind boggles at the level of corruption and piggishness an assembly for the entire world would demonstrate ...

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio

Or The Commonwealth of Australia... at least the voting system is one of the most advanced. Federal and State system.
    Which you copied from Canada, you silly Auzzy.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio

Which you copied from Canada. The first and best dominion, on which all the others are based.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus
    But with Proportional Representation
    That would probably be the only fair way to implement it.

Proportional representation is a good idea I think(a party gets 10 percent of the votes, they get 10 percent of the seats).
    With all of the different political cultures of the world, making it proportional would leave the government too ineffective.

Australia has a different (read superior )voting system which I stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The executive is all but identical with the British heritage of cabinet government kept intact, with the Prime Minister being the leader of the largest party in the Australian House of Representatives or Canadian House of Commons. In both countries, MPs represent single member constituencies, known as divisions in Australia and ridings in Canada.

Unlike Canada, which uses the first past the post voting system, Australia uses instant runoff voting (known in Australia as preferential voting) for almost all elections. While it is more complex than Canada's system, it ensures that MPs have a majority of votes.

Australia has also introduced compulsory voting, something Canada has not done. There is no pressure to introduce such a measure in Canada, although poor electoral turnouts in the past two elections are beginning to make Canadians seriously consider some sort of electoral reform
    Nor can you say our government system is based on the Canadian when both are based on the British.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Ah but the british system is unitary ours (Auzzyland and Canukistan) is federal. Which we did do first. Canada also will never do big reforms to our government system. 2 failed constitutional accords in the late 80's proved that. The NDP had to arm twist for 8 years to get limited proportional representation that's coming in the next federal election. It's sad that we can't have any kind of serious talk about changing some parts of our parlimentary system that need overhauling, *cough*the senate*cough*, without the Quebec seperatists hijacking it for their own agenda.

Also how does that compulsory voting thing work.

Turn up to the voting location. Have your name crossed off.

Then decide if you want to vote. Most people at that time will vote even if it is a donkey vote.

You get fined if you don't turn up, not if you don't vote.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

The world would be much better if we could unite and make one single democratic nation of earth, but if that happend today imagine the revolts in the middle east alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast