Thread: Europe's demographic crisis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Default Europe's demographic crisis

Europe's demographic crisis
    Chuck Colson (archive)

July 11, 2005 | printer friendly version Print | email to a friend Recommend to a friend

In a well-known urban legend, college students simultaneously flush all the toilets on campus and break down the town’s sewage system. While this story about overtaxing a sanitation system may be a myth, real-world Germans have learned what happens when you don’t tax the system enough. It’s a vivid example of the damage caused by the “birth dearth.”

The “birth dearth” is what demographers call plummeting birth rates in most of the industrialized world. Throughout Western Europe and East Asia, the birth rate is well below 2.1 births per woman—which is the minimum needed to maintain a stable population.

Environmentalist dogma argues that plummeting birth rates are a good thing: People cause pollution, we’re told. Well, officials in countries like Japan, Korea, and Germany now know better. In these and other so-called “advanced” societies, shrinking populations threaten their way of life and their cultural identity.

In Japan, for example, a birth rate that is barely half of “replacement level” has forced the closure of more than two thousand schools in the past ten years, with hundreds more closures to come. It’s left the government wondering who will support Japan’s aging population. These and other concerns, like the possible extinction of the Japanese people, have prompted older Japanese to call their childless children “parasite singles.”

In Germany, the population of some villages has shrunk so much that “there are now too few people flushing for the sewage to properly flow.” As a result, the government has had to spend scarce resources on retrofitting sewage systems.

Elsewhere in Germany and the rest of Europe, the emptying landscape provides an opening for an unlikely immigrant: the wolf. German biologists expect the growing packs to head soon toward Berlin.

Now, wolves in Berlin sounds like the stuff of science fiction, but it’s a science fact. What’s incredible is the response of the average European or East Asian. They literally shrug their shoulders; they can’t imagine changing their lifestyle to accommodate having two or more children instead of one or none. They believe against all evidence in a technological or political solution to this problem.

But, as columnist Mark Steyn writes, “there’s simply no precedent for managed decline in societies as advanced as Europe’s”—or Japan, for that matter. Throughout history, societies in demographic decline, usually as a result of disease, have faced two unattractive options: a decline in their standard of living or the replacement of their native population with a more fertile immigrant one.

Europe has, essentially by default, chosen the latter. But as last week’s bombings in London illustrate, turning millions of Islamic immigrants into “Europeans,” however you define the term, is a dubious proposition. And in Japan, where racial purity is a primary cultural value, the population faces eventual extinction.

It’s hard to imagine a better example of the importance of worldviews, and specifically in this case, the Christian one. Steyn is right when he says that Europe’s decline is directly linked to its hostility towards Christianity. Its rejection of what Christianity teaches about the family has made the continent safe for another kind of family: four-legged ones who howl at the moon.

Ive been warning of this for sometime now but it seems I may have as well been howling at the moon.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Default Re: Europe's demographic crisis

How is Europe hostile towards christianity?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

How is Europe hostile towards christianity?
    Are you kidding? Ask Jag

You know there are atheists in US too? And about muslim emmigrants in Europe.Arent all Indoeuropean peoples in Europe immigrants from East?Ive also heard that Southern US is getting pretty Hispanic.Poorer people have had an long tradition to move to places where are better possibilities to get rich.Its true that birth rates in Europe ar going downhill pretty fast.But i dont think it has nothing to do with Christian values.You know in Rome in about year 0 they had pretty similar problem because women from patrician families were concentrating other things than having children.
    When a cultureS reaches certain degree of development.They have started to decline always in World history.Maybe our western civilization have reached it.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

But as last week’s bombings in London illustrate, turning millions of Islamic immigrants into “Europeans,” however you define the term, is a dubious proposition.
    Is this article implying that all the Muslims in Europe are terrorists?! Because that is what it sounds like!

Steyn is right when he says that Europe’s decline is directly linked to its hostility towards Christianity. Its rejection of what Christianity teaches about the family has made the continent safe for another kind of family: four-legged ones who howl at the moon.
    The declining birth rate is due to lifestyle changes, not because of a rejection of Christianity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the birth rate is declining, in much of Europe there are enough immigrants from areas of the world with high birth rates to keep the population steady.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Ive been warning of this for sometime now but it seems I may have as well been howling at the moon.
    Yes you have havn't you
    Last time you posted an article by a neo-Nazi , this time you post an article by an ex-con .
    Whats up ? Can't you find any decent sources .

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Of course the "Birth-rate" is going to go down overall. It can not be sustained at the rate set in the "Baby-Boom" years. It does not mean a race will become extinct, just that there will be a less people.

When I was growing up in the 70's there were warnings of a "population" explosion. This may have helped form the opinion in some people that there is already too many people, and made the choice not to have any children. However, people didn't see this just an abberation caused by the end of WWII.

We have built an infrastructure based on that "growth curve". Now that the growth has stopped or slowed, we need to adjust our view of what is important.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

This article is funny, over exaggerated and false as well!

This is no news, everyone in europe has known this for ages. And why is the alternative to accept immigrants unattractive?
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Is this article implying that all the Muslims in Europe are terrorists?! Because that is what it sounds like!
    Where does it say ALL? The fact is thought that many among them are terrorists and that you dont find european christains becoming terrorists.

The declining birth rate is due to lifestyle changes, not because of a rejection of Christianity.
    The changing lifestyle is a result of rejection of christianity.

Of course the "Birth-rate" is going to go down overall.
    Why? It isnt going down in the rest of the world.

It can not be sustained at the rate set in the "Baby-Boom" years
    Thats not the roblem. Who wants that? The problem is that they cant even maitain the population they have now.

This is no news, everyone in europe has known this for ages. And why is the alternative to accept immigrants unattractive?
    Its not if you dont mind eseeing your way of life and that of your country go down the drain. Hell why should we care how many mexicans move her. Let them take over.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkney
    Where does it say ALL?
    well...

But as last week’s bombings in London illustrate, turning millions of Islamic immigrants into “Europeans,” however you define the term, is a dubious proposition.
    By mentioning the terror bombings in London first, and then using the phrase 'millions of Islamic immigrants', the article is implying that these millions of Islamic immigrants are supporters of the attcks, which they plainly don't.

The fact is thought that many among them are terrorists and that you dont find european christains becoming terrorists.
    The vast majority of muslims deplore terrorism. And as for Christian terrorists, how about the IRA? A lot of the IRA violence was due to protestant/catholic tensions.

The changing lifestyle is a result of rejection of christianity.
    No, it's because of a reduced need of children for labour and the economic cost of children. I don't think that these people would have more children if they were more 'obedient' to Christianity (anyway, when did Christianity say that you had to have large families?)

Why? It isn't going down in the rest of the world.
    That's because in the rest of the world (the 'developing' parts), large numbers of children are economically useful, since they provide extra labour.

The problem is that they cant even maitain the population they have now.
    Actually, due to immigration, most can.

Its not if you dont mind eseeing your way of life and that of your country go down the drain. Hell why should we care how many mexicans move her. Let them take over.
    Immigrants hardly come in enough strength for this supposed 'takeover' you are talking about. They sustain economies. And although some don't, many immigrants do integrate into the society they move into.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Hm what about Japan and its falling birthrate. I guess they rejected Christianity too...

CBR

Gawain how would you deal with this problem?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

how would you deal with this problem?
    simple, have sex... :D
    Last edited by Sjakihata; 07-12-2005 at 00:08.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

By mentioning the terror bombings in London first, and then using the phrase 'millions of Islamic immigrants', the article is implying that these millions of Islamic immigrants are supporters of the attcks, which they plainly don't
    Well your entitiled to your interpretation but to me it says that among the millions of Muslims some terrorists were included. It says nothng of what your on about.

The vast majority of muslims deplore terrorism.
    Do they or do they jusat say they do? Besides that has nothing to do with this. All the terrorists are Muslims not all Mulsims are terrorists is the point.

And as for Christian terrorists, how about the IRA? A lot of the IRA violence was due to protestant/catholic tensions.
    Does the IRA threaten the world?

No, it's because of a reduced need of children for labour and the economic cost of children. I don't think that these people would have more children if they were more 'obedient' to Christianity (anyway, when did Christianity say that you had to have large families?)
    You couldnt be more wrong. Its because of abortion and birth control. How can you say that their wouldnt be more children if all catholics didnt use birth control and no christains had abortions?

That's because in the rest of the world (the 'developing' parts), large numbers of children are economically useful, since they provide extra labour.
    Well I belive that abortion is not allowed in Islam. I dont know about birth control. So its your position that only the poor can afford to have children. Whoda thunk it?

Actually, due to immigration, most can.
    Im speaking of native population.

Immigrants hardly come in enough strength for this supposed 'takeover' you are talking about. They sustain economies. And although some don't, many immigrants do integrate into the society they move into.
    You better start paying arttention to reality. The Mexicans here dont call it La Reconquista for nothing. Three million illegals from Mexico alone every year and that not counting the legal ones. Thats coming here in plenty of strength. In a mere 10 years that means they have accounted for 1tenth of our population.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Gawain this article is completely false. I'll give you 3 reasons and I want you to address them:

1. Japan is homogenous and doesn't have immigration therefore their existence as a nation is not gonna end as long as people have even one kid. The only minority in Japan is some Koreans from middle ages and some native populations in the north. None compare to the collosal 140 million japanese.
    The decline in their population is due to their shrinking of employment opportunities, therefore a good thing IMO.

2. Germany has more people then it has eve had. How can this article claim that their sewage(sp?) is being underused when in fact more people live per city then the time the sewage was built? That's just ridiculous.

3. Christianity is not a way of life. Going to church has nothing to do with how you treat your wife, when you get married, or even how many children you have. China is atheist, why did they have such high rise? Again it's ridiculous. IMHO the falling birth rates are caused by the fact that more people have careers and live in cities and have a high standard of living. Why would I want 5 kids when I could have 1 or 2 and still be able to work. Also the women would lose 18 months. Taht's over a year of employment.

Please answer these, I think we all want to know why you would take this article seriously.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Gawain this article is completely false. I'll give you 3 reasons and I want you to address them:

1. Japan is homogenous and doesn't have immigration therefore their existence as a nation is not gonna end as long as people have even one kid. The only minority in Japan is some Koreans from middle ages and some native populations in the north. None compare to the collosal 140 million japanese.
    The decline in their population is due to their shrinking of employment opportunities, therefore a good thing IMO.

2. Germany has more people then it has eve had. How can this article claim that their sewage(sp?) is being underused when in fact more people live per city then the time the sewage was built? That's just ridiculous.

3. Christianity is not a way of life. Going to church has nothing to do with how you treat your wife, when you get married, or even how many children you have. China is atheist, why did they have such high rise? Again it's ridiculous. IMHO the falling birth rates are caused by the fact that more people have careers and live in cities and have a high standard of living. Why would I want 5 kids when I could have 1 or 2 and still be able to work. Also the women would lose 18 months. Taht's over a year of employment.

Please answer these, I think we all want to know why you would take this article seriously.

Gawain...are you gonna reply to this?

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Why? It isnt going down in the rest of the world.
    The "Baby-Boom" only affected the main combantant nations in WWII, they have a different population profile.
    The problem is that they cant even maitain the population they have now.
    Whose problem, nameless faceless bureaucrats managing an infrastructure.

If there are less people in the country, there will be less demand in the country, less demand cheaper prices overall in the country: Economics 101. Good for the consumer, bad for business.

NOTE: Some commodities that have an international demand, like oil, will be unaffected. So business involved in these will be fine.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

make it mandantory for all men and women capable to have unprotected sex at least once aday until they have at least 2,2 children!
    That would be nice.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser of Arabia
    make it mandantory for all men and women capable to have unprotected sex at least once aday until they have at least 2,2 children!
    That would be nice.
    With anyone in particular or just whoever happens to be closest?

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Wolves are going back to their age old hunting grounds? Excellent! They were there before the peopel were.

Thats the point. People worship having fun and the almighty dollar over family and decency. They live only for today and themselves.
    Wait a second. You can live for today and not care about money and still love your family. Just because people aren't afraid they're going to burn in hell doesn't mean they all love money and hate their family.

And this articale frankly scares me. It reeks of racial purity in my mind. I think it's time people realized that no one is racially pure of any sort. Everyone has genes from all over the place.

How about instead of having more kids, they adopt? There are a whole bunch of homeless kids around the world. My aunt and uncle said when they adopted my little cousin from China, there were a whole bunch more children that didn't have any kids.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

The article is stupid. Period.
    Probably because the author of the article is a stupid person .

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Whats wrong with people wanting to perserve their race? I dont think whit people are better tan any others, but i dont want to see our heritage/culture die out. The same goes for any race.

Whats wrong with people wanting to perserve their race?
    Well the author is American , the person he quotes is Canadian , so out of the mish mash of races that make up the population of those countries what race are they talking about ? The same goes for Europe , what race , heritage or culture ?
    Or are they just babbling on about some non existant white christian race ?