Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Backroom

Default The Backroom

Has anyone ever changed their opinion or concepts because of reading posts in here? I can say that it has, in fact, expanded my horizons from posts made by other cultures and peoples.

So how was it for you?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: The Backroom

Yes! I see know much clearer what the supporters of the Iraq war think and understand their argues much better. Upto now it has not changed my mind. But after some discussions I made up my mind or understand it at least.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

It certainly expanded my horizon - on some issues I have a less clear opinion now (thanks guys for turning my straight forward world into a mess )

One issue on which I actually changed my opinion is the A-bombs on Japan (I used to completely reject the thought of this having been necessary, but through the discussions here I came to accept at least the first bomb as a necessary evil).

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

what clegane said, minus the abomb

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

It hasn't really changed any of my views though it has educated me to some extent.

It has also affected how I see some of the other posters, take that as you will

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I am hopeless, but it is good to read other people's opinions.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I was a strong supporter of capital punishment until you Leftist weenies got your hooks into me, now I oppose it.

All kidding aside, whether it changes my position or not, disucssin issues in here definitely changes my viewpoint, as it forces me to come to grips with my position in light of different views. Opinions formed in a vacuum tend not to be all that robust and well thought out. I think of this place as a crucible where ideas are refined and hopefully, improved.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

It hasn't changed my position on anything really, but has certainly made my debating skills better. IMHO anyway.

If I can go toe to toe with Gawain for hundreds of posts on the Middle East and survive, I could deal with anybody.
    Unto each good man a good dog

i enjoy reading the bickering and little personal jabs back and forth. it's mostly harmless, and the sort of kidding you'd engage in with your siblings, but it's fun nonetheless.

hasn't really changed any of my opinions, but it is good to see what political bents some of my total war friends hold. i mean i know what ichi, gawain and kaf are gonna do in vi, but it's always a hoot to read their posts here

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Probably more a shift in my views rather than reversals. There are all sorts of bits of information posted that lead me to go back and study facets and history. On the other hand, quite a few discussions pro and con have the exact opposite effect, reinforcing my opinion after it has suffered trial by fire and I've been forced to research more.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Ive learned a lot of the historical background behind my political beliefs, especially in regards to Israel.

However I have no liberal views, and I didnt when I came here, so I guess it hasnt changed me too much.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Yeah. My views on abortion has been refined and is a lot less "liberal" (for want of a better word) than it used to be. I think I've had to think more about my opinons in order to deffend them.
    And I've also learned more about different people's viewpoints, and just because I don't agree with them often, it doesn't make them evil, or mean that I won't strongly agree with them in a different argument.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Isänmaantoivo Member Kääpäkorven Konsuli's Avatar

ever changed my opinion or concepts? Bunch of weak souther peoples who get cold in -5c and who doesn't even know word "work" can't change my mind anyway.
    expand my horizons? Why?
    Bliss is ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Kääpäkorven Konsuli
    ever changed my opinion or concepts? Bunch of weak souther peoples who get cold in -5c and who doesn't even know word "work" can't change my mind anyway.
    expand my horizons? Why?
    Watch out for Beirut.
    He is a Canadian lumberjack.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    Watch out for Beirut.
    He is a Canadian lumberjack.
    Ha! Man who is still under tea drinkers empire doesn't scare me a bit!
    Last edited by Kääpäkorven Konsuli; 07-12-2005 at 21:32.
    Bliss is ignorance

Speaking as somebody who has spent some time in Turku & Oulu, as well as Espoo/Helsinki, if the Finns ever outlawed vodka, they'd rule the world.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Kääpäkorven Konsuli
    Ha! Man who is still under tea drinkers empire doesn't scare me a bit!
    Aika hyvä.=Pretty good one.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Speaking as somebody who has spent some time in Turku & Oulu, as well as Espoo/Helsinki, if the Finns ever outlawed vodka, they'd rule the world.
    So Don you have been in our glorious republic.How did you like it in here?Or did you also take too much vodka and dont remember anything?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

All I've got to say is it is simply amazing what gets done with what must be skull-busting hangovers. Take that artificial constraint off, and there'd be no stopping you.

All kidding aside, Finland is one of my favorite places in the world, especially Oulu. Turku is okay, but a little gray. Espoo & Helsinki are like any metropolitan city.... too crowded.

But Oulu.... if I ever strike it rich, I'm going to buy a summer house on a nearby lake up there. I absolutely love that place. I was there May 2003, and I didn't want to leave. Mmm, I'm getting hungry for reindeer just thinking about it...

Strike for the South

I recommend that next time you visit.Go see the Eastern Finland too.Maybe the city of Savonlinna.Its wery nice little city on the coast of Finlands biggest lake called Saimaa.There is also fully preserved Medieval castle called Olavinlinna in there.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Aika hyvä.=Pretty good one.
    Kiitos, tykkäsin itekki.=Thanks, I liked it too (or what ever, too complicated for me)
    Bliss is ignorance

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

I was previously in favor of a "nobody should be allowed to own guns of any kind other than police and military" gun control policy. Discussions in the Backroom have since convinced me that it is reasonable to allow private citizens to own hunting rifles and shotguns.

I also have a much better understanding of American politics and point of view than I had before.

But the biggest impact the Backroom has had on me has been to drive my social views far to the left of where they were when I first ventured into the Tavern, mainly because I have had a chance to hear right-wing arguments that I used to use coming out of others' mouths, and have now realized how ridiculous many of them sound.

And that last was not meant as a slight or an insult; it's honestly how I feel.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

My views haven't changed in the backroom, not by other members at least. Reading my thoughts is very insightful though, because I can edit my viewpoints in the most intelligent ways. Others just excite my brain, that's all.

It also helped my typing skills, I'm like 100 times faster then I ever was.

Finnish people sure are patriotic around here.

I recommend that next time you visit.Go see the Eastern Finland too.Maybe the city of Savonlinna.Its wery nice little city on the coast of Finlands biggest lake called Saimaa.There is also fully preserved Medieval castle called Olavinlinna in there.
    Kitos (sp?). I sure will, if I ever get the chance. I don't get to do very much sightseeing when I'm there, as generally, I go to help Nokia on a project they're using our parts for, which is why I spend time in Oulu & Turku.

Oulu (but really, Finland in general), Shanghai & Madrid are my 3 favorite places I've visited, in that order. Singapore would be up there, if not for the humidity, which was killing me.

Strike for the South

But Oulu.... if I ever strike it rich, I'm going to buy a summer house on a nearby lake up there. I absolutely love that place. I was there May 2003, and I didn't want to leave. Mmm, I'm getting hungry for reindeer just thinking about it...
    And after Eastern Finland you should go (come) to Lapland. It is almost different nation compared to the Souther Finland. And lots of reindeers here...
    Bliss is ignorance

Are you up in Ivalo? I have ALWAYS wanted to go there... I heard you guys party like mad when the sun disappears, for weeks on end. Must be a bitch when work finally comes around again though.

Strike for the South

Kitos (sp?). I sure will, if I ever get the chance. I don't get to do very much sightseeing when I'm there, as generally, I go to help Nokia on a project they're using our parts for, which is why I spend time in Oulu & Turku.

Oulu (but really, Finland in general), Shanghai & Madrid are my 3 favorite places I've visited, in that order. Singapore would be up there, if not for the humidity, which was killing me.
    Tervetuloa Suomeen uudestaan.=Wellcome to Finland again.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Dude, it's going to be a while before I get around to learning too much Finnish. I'm trying to learn Mandarin at the moment. The only Finnish I know is kitos (keetos?), huyva pyva, huyva huomenta and if i hear them, how to say cheers & 'excuse me'/'sorry'.

Strike for the South

I understand.one good hint for Finnish language is that we pronounce words the same as we write them so thanks is sayed kiitos and writed also kiitos.Thats why to me its so hard to write proper english.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Aaah, so it's huuva piiva? I started a different thread, btw, so we don't disrupt all these ignoramuses who don't know what a good thing they're missing...

Strike for the South

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast