Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finland Rocks!!!

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Finland Rocks!!!

Wanted to get this out of the Backroom discussion, as I was derailing the conversation in there....

What's not to love... we've got cool places like Oulu, friendly people (just takes a little to get them going), beautiful women, all kinds of history and of course, drinking like there's no tomorrow, every night of the week!

To the Finns, do you guys get many North American tourists? I'm always gone there on business, to see Nokia, but I do hope to bring my wife over to do some fun stuff one of these times.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Default Re: Finland Rocks!!!

Kippis Don!
    I think most tourist to Finland come from elsewhere Scandinavia,Germany,Russia and Japan.But i have drunk with Americans too here in Helsinki.
    edit from backroom:Have nice day is Hyvää päivää.Our language must sound pretty weird to someone who speaks an germanic language?
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-12-2005 at 22:26.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Isänmaantoivo Member Kääpäkorven Konsuli's Avatar

I post this here too.

Don Corleone
    Are you up in Ivalo? I have ALWAYS wanted to go there... I heard you guys party like mad when the sun disappears, for weeks on end. Must be a bitch when work finally comes around again though.

No, I live close of Rovaniemi (Capital of lapland). Sun doesn't really disappear here, but in the darkest season of winter there is only1-3 hours from sunrise to sunset. If you go bit north from here it will disappear, It is called as "kaamos".
    But in summers we have period called as "Yötön yö" which lasts about moth. During that periot sun won't set at all.
    Bliss is ignorance

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

It must be cool to never have day for a month. It's like you could have a party whenever you want and sleep whenever you fell like it. If I wanna do that here, I would have to move to the Northwest Territories or Yukon.
    No one lives there except for a bunch of eskimoos.

Lucky Finns. I love the dark and the cold unlike some people I know(well most), and we don't get enough of that here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    Kippis Don!
    I think most tourist to Finland come from elsewhere Scandinavia,Germany,Russia and Japan.But i have drunk with Americans too here in Helsinki.
    edit from backroom:Have nice day is Hyvää päivää.Our language must sound pretty weird to someone who speaks an germanic language?
    The big problem I have with Finnish is speaking it. It sounds really cool to the ear, but when I think I'm repeating exactly what is being taught to me, I'm still not saying it right. English speakers in general, and Americans in particular, tend to be rather lax about vowel sounds, as it rarely makes a big impact on the meaning of a word, and in many cases, it's considered 'cute' to have a dialect. In Finnish though, and Swedish, to a lesser degree, it's VERY important you get the exact vowel sound down correctly, as there's not as much distinction between words.

I went to visit a company called Electrobit OY up in Oulu one time. They do a lot of designs for Nokia. Anyway, after we were introduced, I said "Hello, so & so", and the room got silent. And our sales guy (works out of my company's sales office in Espoo) smiles and says "You know, it's very important to pronounce names properly. If you're not careful, it can very easily all turn to SHIT". And when he said the last word, he swung around and stared at me.... When I got wide-eyed, he nodded. Yep, I had called the guy one of the Finnish words for crap by mispronouncing his name!
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-12-2005 at 22:38.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Kääpäkorven Konsuli
    I post this here too.

No, I live close of Rovaniemi (Capital of lapland). Sun doesn't really disappear here, but in the darkest season of winter there is only1-3 hours from sunrise to sunset. If you go bit north from here it will disappear, It is called as "kaamos".
    But in summers we have period called as "Yötön yö" which lasts about moth. During that periot sun won't set at all.
    That's not too far from Kemi, right? Do you go down there at all? I was supposed to go there last time I was in Oulu, but my plans got changed. Do you guys have big winter carnivals to pass the time, and keep from going stir crazy?

One thing that amazed me about Finland was the winter weather. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but it's not that bad. I'd definitely say central to northern Canada is worse, like Ottawa. Northern Quebec gets DAMN cold. Oulu was cold and windy, but not unbearable (I grew up in New England, so I'm fairly familiar with winter myself).

The thing that would kill me is the dark! I used to start getting depressed halfway through winter, and that's part of the reason I moved so far south of where I grew up. I've always heard that Scandanavians are smart and just get very social inclinated (lots of dinners out, bars, parties) in the winter. True?

Strike for the South

about the women....don't bring the wife along for that

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    It must be cool to never have day for a month. It's like you could have a party whenever you want and sleep whenever you fell like it. If I wanna do that here, I would have to move to the Northwest Territories or Yukon.
    No one lives there except for a bunch of eskimoos.

Lucky Finns. I love the dark and the cold unlike some people I know(well most), and we don't get enough of that here in Canada.
    No, it doesn't work like that . There is still night and day, peoples go to work, school are open and so on. And even sun wont rise day is't really dark, more like grey. You can easily separate day from night.

Btw, I thougth you were from Greece.
    Bliss is ignorance

This is Finland, not Sweden. Finnish women don't really mess around so much as make nice eye candy. Though when I was in Turku last fall, we went to a nightclub where a girl got plastered and walked out of the lady's room in nothing but her panties (bra was gone too!)

The 3 guys I was with all stopped, stunned, then in stereo laughingly chimed in with: Tervetuloa Suomeen!!! From what I understand, that isn't a common practice, and while I was there long hours and drank much alcohol, no more little dolls came out clad similarly from the lady's room.

Strike for the South

I love the Finns, used to be good friends with a few but lost touch.

You people are excellent.

The Moomins are excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    The big problem I have with Finnish is speaking it. It sounds really cool to the ear, but when I think I'm repeating exactly what is being taught to me, I'm still not saying it right. English speakers in general, and Americans in particular, tend to be rather lax about vowel sounds, as it rarely makes a big impact on the meaning of a word, and in many cases, it's considered 'cute' to have a dialect. In Finnish though, and Swedish, to a lesser degree, it's VERY important you get the exact vowel sound down correctly, as there's not as much distinction between words.

I went to visit a company called Electrobit OY up in Oulu one time. They do a lot of designs for Nokia. Anyway, after we were introduced, I said "Hello, so & so", and the room got silent. And our sales guy (works out of my company's sales office in Espoo) smiles and says "You know, it's very important to pronounce names properly. If you're not careful, it can very easily all turn to SHIT". And when he said the last word, he swung around and stared at me.... When I got wide-eyed, he nodded. Yep, I had called the guy one of the Finnish words for crap by mispronouncing his name!
    I can imagine that kind of thing happening.For example Jaska is a popular nickname for guy in here,and Paska means shit.
    Its true what you are saying about how important tone and pronouncing is in our language how you say a sentence can complitely chance what that sentence means.Have you also noticed how silent Finnish can be?Because in our culture if someone have something to say people like better when you squeeze the sentens to a few words.I believe that many people would think that as rude(spelling?) in England or America?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

=Kääpäkorven Konsuli
    No, it doesn't work like that . There is still night and day, peoples go to work, school are open and so on. And even sun wont rise day is't really dark, more like grey. You can easily separate day from night.

*BP tears down "I Love Finland" poster in dissapointment*

Btw, I thougth you were from Greece.
    Greece is pretty cold man. The humidity makes anyone freeze to death. Most people don't know this though.

=Don Corleone
    This is Finland, not Sweden. Finnish women don't really mess around so much as make nice eye candy.

Got any pics?
    Seriosuly can we see some Finnish babes ro do I need to go to the babes thread and filme my complaints.

Not rude, but that either 1) you're displeased or 2) you're bored.

The other thing about Finnish that drives me insane, and why I'll never truly learn it, just be able to say a few phrases, is you guys conjugate THE WHOLE DAMN sentance down to 2, maybe 3 words!!!

No kidding! You guys literally make every syllable count! There must be 100 different prefixes and 200 different suffixes! (The part you add to the beginning and end of a word, such as re & ed in reordered). It's almost like you have to know what the guy is going to say before he says it!!!

The final thing that guarantees Americans will never pronounce Finnish 100% properly... long and short vowels. In English, long vowels & short vowels have a different sound (phoenetic structure). But in Finnish (and I think Swedish & Norwegian, not sure), a long vowel just gets said for longer duration than a short one! We're WAY too imprecise with our mouths to ever get the hang of that one, which is why you never understand us when we try to say kiitos.

Strike for the South

That's not too far from Kemi, right? Do you go down there at all? I was supposed to go there last time I was in Oulu, but my plans got changed. Do you guys have big winter carnivals to pass the time, and keep from going stir crazy?
    Kemi isn't far from here maybe 100km by car, but I have never been there mysef. Of course there is some winter happenings, but I cannot remember anything "big".
    One thing that amazed me about Finland was the winter weather. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but it's not that bad. I'd definitely say central to northern Canada is worse, like Ottawa. Northern Quebec gets DAMN cold. Oulu was cold and windy, but not unbearable (I grew up in New England, so I'm fairly familiar with winter myself).
    You said it. I can't understand why souther finns (I count Oulu as a part of south) complain about cold weather, their climate feels almoust subtropical to me.
    I don't know how cold is it in Canada, last winter's lowest tempature here was about -50c.
    The thing that would kill me is the dark! I used to start getting depressed halfway through winter, and that's part of the reason I moved so far south of where I grew up. I've always heard that Scandanavians are smart and just get very social inclinated (lots of dinners out, bars, parties) in the winter. True?
    At least here peoples seem to be pretty unsocial year around, me too.
    Bliss is ignorance

WEll, I hate to be rude, as the two of you have been kind enough to stay up until 1AM chatting with me, but my wife is going to shoot me if I don't go cut the grass. BP, if you're looking for pictures of Finnish women, just go surf Finnish tourism pages. They're not idiots, they know they have hotties over there and they stick 'em in every tourist brochure then can! Three photos can you can count on in any official Finnish tourist guide.... a reindeer, a bunch of smiling people downing pints at a pub, and guaranteed, a hotty wearing a tight sweater (frequently with her hair in braids).

Strike for the South

Okay its time to go to sleep.Have to get up for work at 7 am.See ya later Don!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

No kidding! You guys literally make every syllable count! There must be 100 different prefixes and 200 different suffixes! (The part you add to the beginning and end of a word, such as re & ed in reordered). It's almost like you have to know what the guy is going to say before he says it!!!
    One of the main reasons why outlanders seldom learn to talk perfect finnish. Don't worry, it is difficult even for some finns.
    Bliss is ignorance

Don you missed out the biggest thing - the music is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Children of Bodom and Nightwish being just two.

Scandinavia as a whole, just owns, musically wise and socially wise.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    Don you missed out the biggest thing - the music is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Children of Bodom and Nightwish being just two.

Scandinavia as a whole, just owns, musically wise and socially wise.
    You mean fennoscandia? Finland isn't a part of Scandinavia. And yes, CoB is great.
    Bliss is ignorance

I think I speak for most Brits when I say, we tend to just lump Finland in there with Sweden, Denmark etc. That is what I mean as Scandinavia, not in the form - possibly - you take it.

You also deserve a for liking CoB, what a band. Can't wait for the new album.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

The other thing about Finnish that drives me insane, and why I'll never truly learn it, just be able to say a few phrases, is you guys conjugate THE WHOLE DAMN sentance down to 2, maybe 3 words!!!
    Hey, it's practical. You save a lot on both pencils and air if the sentence is short.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

The thing that would kill me is the dark!
    Try late May to late July instead. Haven't had a dark night since late May. And I live below the polar circle...
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    I think I speak for most Brits when I say, we tend to just lump Finland in there with Sweden, Denmark etc. That is what I mean as Scandinavia, not in the form - possibly - you take it.
    Geographily it means pennisula of Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway) but I understand what you mean, Culturary Sweden, Finland and Norway are pretty much same. But there is large differences like language and swedish sauna .
    You also deserve a for liking CoB, what a band. Can't wait for the new album.
    Same goes to you.
    Bliss is ignorance

Have any of you other Org members visited Finland?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I have... I visited Turku/Åbo in... 87 or 88(I forget).
    I only remember a few things like being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I actually got a fever and a swollen arm because of it.
    I remember going down to a lake at dawn for some swimming and returned back to the cabin quite dry because there was a 30 cm belt of dead mosquitoes along the water edge on the beach. The food was strange, but the unisex saunas were great.
    I had a couple of opportunities to cross the border while I was stationed "around" Tromsø, but they are classified.
    Status Emeritus

Unisex saunas!!!

Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    I have... I visited Turku/Åbo in... 87 or 88(I forget).
    I only remember a few things like being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I actually got a fever and a swollen arm because of it.
    I remember going down to a lake at dawn for some swimming and returned back to the cabin quite dry because there was a 30 cm belt of dead mosquitoes along the water edge on the beach. The food was strange, but the unisex saunas were great.
    I had a couple of opportunities to cross the border while I was stationed "around" Tromsø, but they are classified.
    Yes the mosquitoes are Finnish Armys secret weapon of Summertime.But they only apply in the inner parts of Finland here on the coast there arent really mosquitos at all.So you may have crossed our highly guarded border between Norway and Finland.
    I go to lapland allmost every summer to fish trouts and been many times on Norways side too.Actually i havent seen a borderguard there ever.I love the Finish Sauna especially when im in Sauna with a woman.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-13-2005 at 14:01.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Okay i think il post this in this fine threat.If you people like boozing,then Finland is the place for you.Ive had now some ten beers and im of to a bar.So just ignore everything i write here in next twelwe hours.Because when i get back i think good old kagemusha is pretty drunk.Nice evening to you all or whatever the clock is where you live!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Have a blast man! And don't worry, I'll be able to interpret for you just fine. I don't speak much Finnish, but I'm quite fluent in 'drunk'.

Strike for the South

Have a blast man! And don't worry, I'll be able to interpret for you just fine. I don't speak much Finnish, but I'm quite fluent in 'drunk'.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast