Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patriotism

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Default Patriotism

How Patriotic are you to your Country? I mean REALLY patriotic. i mean, last week was manx national week, with the Tynwald celebration etc and we were required to sing the manx national anthem in assembly, but me and my friend think ourselves as English and we sung 'God Save the Queen' and got told off for singing it. Was this wrong?

P.s my parents had a go at the school for that and my head had to apologies
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Default Re: Patriotism

Yes it was wrong. You should conform. Mr. Bliar says it wrong to be English. After all the bastard Scot that managed to con the English into giving him another term hates you. You will pay for this. In spades. How dare you have an independent thought whilst 'new labour' is in power...you are an absolute disgrace.......now keep it up, we need more guys like you and we shall reclaim democracy
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

seeing as it was Manx national week, why would you sing your own national anthem on the Isle of Man?

All for you English folks being English and proud but doing what you did is surely like me living in England and making a point of singing "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" or "Flower of Scotland" at a celebration of Englishness on St.George's day.

Of course I wouldn't expect you to be allowed to celebrate Englishness in England on St. George's day. That's very sad.

I think that what you did was inappropriate given the occassion.

Man is not even a part of the U.K. under British law, or any law for that matter.

The Queen of the U.K. is head of state by virtue of her title "Lord of Mann".

that is true...the Queen is a Lord of Man ....perhaps you might consider becoming the 51st state of America...then you could sing La Marseillaise....
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Romanians are patriotic....

We fought heavily for our country, especially with the Turks who were waiting to destroy our country.... And also, in WWII.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy_is_a_Taff
    seeing as it was Manx national week, why would you sing your own national anthem on the Isle of Man?

All for you English folks being English and proud but doing what you did is surely like me living in England and making a point of singing "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" or "Flower of Scotland" at a celebration of Englishness on St.George's day.

Of course I wouldn't expect you to be allowed to celebrate Englishness in England on St. George's day. That's very sad.

I think that what you did was inappropriate given the occassion.

Man is not even a part of the U.K. under British law, or any law for that matter.

The Queen of the U.K. is head of state by virtue of her title "Lord of Mann".
    Well, i thought that, because i'm english, i should sing the national anthem of my country....i'm very proud of the fact that i was born in Doncaster, south yorks and i wanted tyo show that, it was nothing against the isle of man...i love the place, so friendly

Apache? your from Yorkshire arnte you, what part?
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

West yorks m8...Bradford, about 35 miles north ....on ilkla moor bah'tat

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

I am terribly patriot. Why, just this morning I was singing "God Save the Queen", "Land of Hope and Glory", and "Rule Britannia" in the shower.

Celebrating Englishness on St George's Day would be nationalism as well as patriotism, but since the SNP has propogated (I think) that "God Save the Queen" is Anti-Scottish, (but I do not believe that it is) it is considered patriotic and not nationalistic to sing it. Since I am both patriot and nationalist, I sing both British and Scottish songs.

I pleasantly await the day when I shall join Her Majesty's Armed Forces to fight for the Glory of God and the Commonwealth.

that is true...the Queen is a Lord of Man ....perhaps you might consider becoming the 51st state of America...then you could sing La Marseillaise....
    She is also Duke of Normandy...

And about the Isle of Man....

Surely, as a crown dependency and not a separate country, patriotism would be loyalty to Britain and Her Majesty anyway?
    Last edited by Duke Malcolm; 07-12-2005 at 18:55.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Being patriotic is counter productive for any nation. I'de hate to get caught up to all the bs and forget the most important thing in my life; me!

Now if you forgive me I have to put up my N.Epirus flag on my wall.

Yea that was wrong of you to do. You should have just shut up if you didnt want to sing the song everyone else was and just waited until an appropriate time to sing it. How would you like it if people started singing their own national anthems during your region's celebration?

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by King Malcolm
    She is also Duke of Normandy...
    That's putting it backwards.

The Duke of Normandy is also King of England.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

May God save her Brittanic Majesty....God save the Queen...Hurrah...God Save the Queen ...Hurrah...God save the Queen ...Hurrah....hip hip hurray.

I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Amen

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Here, here!

I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her heirs and successors, according to law.

Amen
    Last edited by Duke Malcolm; 07-12-2005 at 19:18. Reason: I may as well take the oath myself...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Re: Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by Louis IV the Fat
    That's putting it backwards.

The Duke of Normandy is also King of England.
    Not to mention, were the French royalty still around, wouldn't she technically be their vassal?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Default Re : Re: Re : Re: Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Not to mention, were the French royalty still around, wouldn't she technically be their vassal?
    Indeed she would be. But only for her holdings in France. As queen of England she would be sovereign.
    Not everything

How Patriotic are you to your Country?
    Not in the slightest whatsoever , I have never stood for or sung the national anthem of mine or any country , a country is just somewhere where you live , pay taxes and get screwed by whichever government is in power , until you move to another country and repeat the process .

Original Viking Member hundurinn's Avatar

I'm far from being patriotic but in general Icelanders are insanely patriotic. Any celebrity that comes to Iceland, switces a plane in the airport, is referred to as "a friend of Iceland" when ever he gets in the news. We always think we will win the Eurovision song contest, always think we will win every soccer match when Eiður Smári is the only one who can play. The national anthem is too complicated to learn but that doesn't seem to stop those crazy patriots. Few things to be proud of, from 847 to 1939 we basically lived in piles of dirt.

See hereTorfbær I'm sorry for the bad quality.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Patriotism

Btw, I sad to say that God Save the Queen (or the King) was written by a French for Louis XIV (Dieu sauve le Roi). Why didn't he copyright that crap when he was able to ?

Very patriotic, in a very British way. Queue well and don't panic when things blow up and stuff. Treat everyone as a foreigner, even when it's their country. Criticise Britain to bits though, as any true patriot should. And don't know the national anthem beyond the first couple of lines, like any other true patriot.

I don't think anyone is really patriotic as openly here as in, say, America. I don't think I have seen a Union Jack on a public building where I live since the jubilee, see a St George flag on top of Churches sometimes. The town hall had a Gay Pride flag up for a while.

Default Re: Re : Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Btw, I sad to say that God Save the Queen (or the King) was written by a French for Louis XIV (Dieu sauve le Roi). Why didn't he copyright that crap when he was able to ?
    If it makes you feel any better, we stole it from them to make "My Country Tis of Thee", just to piss them off during the Rebellion

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Now I learned this as a kid...my Dad said it was the USA national anthem, IIRC it was changed in the '50's

to the tune of God Save the Queen.

My country, 'tis of Thee,
    Sweet Land of Liberty
    Of thee I sing;
    Land where my fathers died,
    Land of the pilgrims' pride,
    From every mountain side
    Let Freedom ring.

My native country, thee,
    Land of the noble free,
    Thy name I love;
    I love thy rocks and rills,
    Thy woods and templed hills,
    My heart with rapture thrills
    Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze,
    And ring from all the trees
    Sweet Freedom's song;
    Let mortal tongues awake;
    Let all that breathe partake;
    Let rocks their silence break,
    The sound prolong.

Our fathers' God to Thee,
    Author of Liberty,
    To thee we sing,
    Long may our land be bright
    With Freedom's holy light,
    Protect us by thy might
    Great God, our King.

Our glorious Land to-day,
    'Neath Education's sway,
    Soars upward still.
    Its hills of learning fair,
    Whose bounties all may share,
    behold them everywhere
    On vale and hill!

Thy safeguard, Liberty,
    The school shall ever be,
    Our Nation's pride!
    No tyrant hand shall smite,
    While with encircling might
    All here are taught the Right
    With Truth allied.

Beneath Heaven's gracious will
    The stars of progress still
    Our course do sway;
    In unity sublime
    To broader heights we climb,
    Triumphant over Time,
    God speeds our way!

Grand birthright of our sires,
    Our altars and our fires
    Keep we still pure!
    Our starry flag unfurled,
    The hope of all the world,
    In peace and light impearled,
    God hold secure!

And it stirs a freeborn Englishman as much as the Star Spangled Banner, the only flag in the world that gives the English a twinge of pride...after all they were our ancestors as well ..

USA Flag Site © 2002 | A

Patriotism has almost as many different definitions in America as there are Americans. At the end of the day, every one of us want to think we're patriotic, but how do you define what a patriot really is.

If being patriotic means you support the New England Patriots as your pro American football team, hell yeah, baby!

But in general, there's too wide a range on the definition of patriotism over here for me to sign up to it or not. Many of the Vietnam protesters who threw fecal matter and urine on the returning veterans thought they were being patriotic. I don't have the first freakin idea how they could, but they claim they did.

In the strictest traditionalist sense, I'm not patriotic, as I believe in the right to question government policy, even during times of war (I'm not a big 'my country, right or wrong' guy). But I think I'm a lot more patriotic in that regard than your average American.

Strike for the South

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

America is very patriotic.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    Very patriotic, in a very British way. Queue well and don't panic when things blow up and stuff. Treat everyone as a foreigner, even when it's their country. Criticise Britain to bits though, as any true patriot should. And don't know the national anthem beyond the first couple of lines, like any other true patriot.
    And that goes for me too!
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    America is very patriotic.
    I totally disagree with this statement. America has some very patriotic people in it. It also has some very unpatriotic people in it. And it also has an unacceptably high number of apathetic losers that don't seem to be able to make up their mind one way or the other (they're too busy figuring out the next American idol).

Strike for the South

Fourth of july is usally a huge show of patriotism. Tons of people have american flags, and we sing our national anthem at any sporting event. Though those are all shallow they do show signs of patriotism.

That's not patriotism. That's marketing fluff. Patriotism means that you put your country's needs ahead of your own. How does waving a flag, drinking a 12 pack of beer, eating 6 hotdogs and letting off some fireworks prove that you value your country's best interest more than your own?

Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    In the strictest traditionalist sense, I'm not patriotic, as I believe in the right to question government policy, even during times of war (I'm not a big 'my country, right or wrong' guy).
    But this is what I would define as patriotic. To not do it would make you nationalistic.

Myself, I consider to be very patriotic in the strictest traditionalist sense. I believe it is every American's duty to fall for my fatherland...
    Not everything

Yes it all shallow, but think. When people sing the national antem, most people take off their hats and sing proudly.

And we dont have to draft like some european countries. We have many people that want to join the army. Surley thats patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by hundurinn
    We always think we will win the Eurovision song contest, always think we will win every soccer match when Eiður Smári is the only one who can play.
    Surely that Eiður Smári guy must be some 'real' Icelandic name of Gudjohnson? Of Chelsea fame?
    Not everything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast