Thread: Two questions

Default Two questions

1. The banners on the campaign map for each army are supposed to reflect the relative strength of that army but in my experience it seems to be based more on the number of units rather than the strength of each unit. Has anyone else noticed this?

A simple test would be train a full army of plain peasants and see if its a full banner then attack a stronger army and check the ratio thing where it tells you whether you are likely to win or not.

The ratio seems to be a better estimate of army strength I think but the banners seem to be based solely on numbers.

2. Does RTW have some sort of auto-quit feature? Today I was playing for about 3 hours but then went to go eat dinner. Upon returning I found that my campaign had quit and I was back at the title screen. Luckily was cautious before I left and saved it before leaving.

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Default Re: Two questions

The ratio seems to be a better estimate of army strength I think but the banners seem to be based solely on numbers.
    Correct.

Does RTW have some sort of auto-quit feature?
    No.

Specific to your system. Maybe a memory quality issue, maybe something else. Lots of weird things like that occur when using less than top quality memory, but that's just a guess re your system.
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by ToranagaSama
    No.

Specific to your system. Maybe a memory quality issue, maybe something else. Lots of weird things like that occur when using less than top quality memory, but that's just a guess re your system.
    I guess it could be possible. I have 640MB RAM. I didn't have any background programs running(besides system programs). I didn't know it could run out if left it idle but not if I play hehe. I think I know what happened though. I think the screensaver started up and RTW's reaction was to quit to title screen or something.

640 mg??

Is that 1x512 and 1x128 or 4x128? Maybe they aren't the same...who knows?!

At least you saved...
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Same deal, been playing and wife called me for dinner and just left it running.
    I'd come back and it completely closed out and back to desktop. I'm always saving especially if I'm walking away so no biggie.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Its been the same through all the Total War games, the higher the red, the more troops you have. WHether they are peasants or War Elephants.
    Its not flooding if you have something good to say.

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

JFYI, I have left RTW and even more intensive games like Far Cry running for hours, even a few days; often minimized even.

I didn't know it could run out if left it idle but not if I play hehe
    Yeah, its called "Memory Leak". Completely the fault of poor programming. Which is not to say that CA is guilty (or not guilty). The issue could lie anywhere even with Microsoft. Windows used to be NOTORIOUS re memory leaking. Generally, just as a kinda guide, the longer you leave programs *open* the more susceptible (sp?) they can be to memory leaking. Though, as I said is all on the programmer(s), some do a great job, some poor.

Additionally, LOTS of *weird* things WILL happen, such as you describe, if a system has less than **quality** parts. The quality of the memory that the MAJORITY of most people have in their systems is poor. Quality memory is not cheap!

I can keep my system going, because I'm *anal* and very particular about the parts I choose for my system. Which is not to say it runs perfectly, just that certain things aren't an issue for me. I run my system 24/7 so I try to compensate for things like memory leak.

One way is I use a program consistently running in the program called "Cacheman". This is a great program I've used for YEARS! I reccommened it, particularly if you don't have a lot of memory. These days 1 gig is pretty much the norm for smooth *gaming* operation; and, soon 2 gigs will be necessary. I also suggest it, if you have less than top quality memory--helps a LOT!

WindowsXP is *supposed* to do a better job managing memory, and it certain ways its does, but it other ways it doesn't. Frankly, IMO, its better *still* NOT to allow Windows to manage your memory, but that's another discussion.

I think I know what happened though. I think the screensaver started up and RTW's reaction was to quit to title screen or something.
    Sounds like a good bet.

RTW was taking all the memory space, and the SS pops up says to RTW move over I need some space. RTW says whaaaa??? SS says Yeah, you don't need all that space, take some of your stuff and move it to the Paging File. RTW says whaaa?? SS says, screw it, move over I'm coming in---Shove! RTW goes Crash!

That's a VERY general and layman's way of looking at it. If you don't have a lot of memory, I'm certain that RTW will take not only most of your memory space, but also most of the paging file.

Cacheman:
    http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_..._page=products

You'll notice that there are two versions. CachemanXP is for guess what XP; and, Cacheman if for Win2000. Though, Win2000 users can still use the XP version. The interface is different and some things have been updated in the XP version. I continue to use the Win2000 version cause I too lazy to upgrade, and why fix what ain't broke!!

Luck!

P.S., check the site there are other interesting and useful utilities. All shareware.
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Seems to me that the number of people in the army matters. A full stack cav army will never be able to colour the entire banner the way a fullstack balanced or all-infantry army can.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

It wasn't a complete crash though it just took me back to title screen and the screensaver never went on. It seems like RTW had an Average Victory . It was able to fight off the SS but not without taking a hit which was to quit to title screen.

I used to get crashes all the time before the patch. I mean almost every time I played I got one or more crashes. Now they are very rare, but I still save every turn with Quick Save just in case.

Default Mods?

I have a noobish question

THere are people talking on these forums about various mods (SPQR, Darth etc) and i would like to know where i can get hold of these, and also which ones are good and which should be avoided