Thread: Mars Spectacular.........

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Exclamation Mars Spectacular......... Hoax email circulating

Hoax Email circulating ...

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again!

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification.

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10pm and reach its azimuth at about 3am.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12.30am. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has ever seen in recorded history. So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN.
    Last edited by kiwitt; 07-14-2005 at 01:19.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Re: Mars Spectacular.........

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
    How is that possible?
    Unto each good man a good dog

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    How is that possible?
    It's not. Mars is not much bigger than the moon, but it is much, much further away.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Hence, my question.
    Unto each good man a good dog

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Thanks Beirut. A quick search on google "Mars Spectacular" hoax, revealed it to me. editted it above.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4