Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jews

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default The Jews

I'm just curious.

1. Is there anyway to increase the Jewish faith in a province?
    2. Has anyone besides me seen a Jewish general?
    3. Can there be Jewish revolts?

Being one of the two religions with no benefactors, does it behave like the other religions if you for example modded in Rabbis and Greater Rabbis or another priest-type unit?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: The Jews

I have seen a Jewish General and a Jewish revolt. The revolt then teamed with another and then invaded Poland destroying a pretty decent Polish army.
    "IF YOUR ATTACK IS GOING TOO WELL, YOU'RE WALKING INTO AN AMBUSH."

"IF THE ENEMY IS IN RANGE, SO ARE YOU."

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

I've wondered the same thing. Sadly they always seem to become extinct near the end of any game I play. I've never seen a few general or revolt myself.

Perhaps a mod somewhere has a faction that is jewish but I don't think that would be too supported by history in that time period and region, maybe the sinai....

The pagan religions are encourage by the mongols by the way.
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

Eternal Champion, I'm really curious, how and where did jews revolt against the poles?
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

Member Member Crusader4thepeople's Avatar

Ive also seen jewish revolts, but it was crushed quickly. In the description for Khazar Royal Cavalry it says something about the jewish kingdom of Khazar. Maybe somwone could put these into a Mod (if its correct of course)

Infact I found this about the Khazars and found the following

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

This means that maybe someone will Mod the Khazars as jews. I know BKB did but he made them muslim

Quote Originally Posted by NodachiSam
    I think the other of the two religions he was referring to was the heretical Christian sect.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I've never seen a Jew general or even a jew unit!!!!

Only the Khazar Royal Bodyguards from Khazar which I bribed

And BTW, I don't trust the fact that the Khazar Kaganate was Jewish.... Impossible.... Pagans perhaps.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Yeah, same here, the Khazars seem to be the only real JewJew Beans.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Edyz read the link i gave, the Khazar kaganate converted to judaeisam

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Being one of the two religions with no benefactors, does it behave like the other religions if you for example modded in Rabbis and Greater Rabbis or another priest-type unit?
    It and pagan both can be modded and they have the same effects as regular religions.

Actually though their are three religions with no benefactors, heritics. They can behave like the other relgions too.

Pagans have benefactors in the form of the Golden Horde, he meant jews and heretics

Pagans dont have benefactors with out viking invasion. Sure it is the religion of the horde, but they cant build temples/priest.

I guess i read that statment wrong, i thought he menat religion without priest/religious buildings, and again i was not thinking about viking invasion.

hmm im probably forgetting both BKB and XL add Golden Horde playability and Pagan Buildings and Pagan Agents

Yes they both did add that.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NodachiSam

Not exactly. Large parts of eastern Europe were pagan at the time.

I fiddled around and the first time I changed the code it worked out.

SetReligion:: FN_ENGLISH REL_HERETIC

imma try jews now

The hair proves it... Senior Member EatYerGreens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader4thepeople
    Infact I found this about the Khazars and found the following

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

This means that maybe someone will Mod the Khazars as jews. I know BKB did but he made them muslim
    Well, chasing up that link must have cost me a good hour of posting/gameplay time tonight but it was interesting to read about all the historical goings-on, east of the edge of the MTW campaign map.

I particularly liked one piece of speculation - that the Khazars converted to Judaism because they were geograpically sandwiched between the Christian/Orthodox to the west and the Muslims to the east. Conversion to a faith which favoured neither side but was respected by both - as a distant root of their own beliefs - allowed them to maintain neutrality and thus avoid getting crushed on two fronts.

Also a comment, described as only half in jest, relating to a motive for wanting to steer away from their previous pagan faith, where the Khagan's rule was granted by favour of a particular deity, so tradition held that a failed Khagan was out of favour and had to be ritually executed...

Some interesting word etymolgies there too - eg the Romans' reference to Turks as 'Scythians', from which, I presume, the word scythe derives - the curved blade being the common factor.

Also, through side references, got to find out where the Alans come from, plus about 6 different spellings for where the Kwarazmiams come from....

EYG

SetReligion:: FN_ENGLISH REL_JEWISH

Correct^

I'm not sure how to add a new faction though, you would need to skim through the entire starting position .txt and add in your positions, values and statistics for FN_KHAZAR or something.

Maybe you can add your own religions, but I can't find where the religious icons are and the chances are something will go amiss.

@Patron
    Now that the faction is changed , how do the religious agents behave? Are you at all able to build "churches" and agents?
    And is the religion in your provinces changed or changing to heresy also?

Isn't there a mod out there with Jews, Pagans and Heretics as Faction.
    I think being able to play as the Katharer (which were considered heretics) would be fun.

You have to make new religious agents and buildings, BKB would probably be the best to ask this...

The BKB mod does alot of what you ask

*Certain countries can build heritc churches/priest/and train heritic units
    *Italian nations can make jewish merchant buildings and jewish merchants that increas judiasm and trade.

BTW, welcome to the org !

I read a book (the only one I could get my hands on) about Khazaria. It was really pretty neat. The first time I heard about the Jewish Empire was Thomas Harlan's Oath of Empire Series (historical fantasy).

The book was called 13th Tribe: the Khazar Empire and its Heritage by Arthur Koestler.

I read it hoping for more about the empire itself, but there just are not many sources from that period of time covering anything north of the black sea. Lots of thoughts about how the Jews of Khazaria would have affected the Pale though. That part was interesting.

And because it is not well known, there are not many books in English. Heck, there are not as many books as I would like about Byzantium, so Byzantiums forgotten cousin would receive far less attention.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Ive just fiddled with the campmap/startpos/Late Xl.txt file and changed the Bohemian religion to heretic, in accordance with the Hussite War

I love modding MTW.....

Changed the French to heretics...
    I saw a French general with maximum heretic piety

Currently adding factions to make it much more interesting
    Including the Jewish Khazar Kaganate, which is going to be anihilated by the Mongols.....

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I love modding MTW.....
    mtw, is much more modder friendly.

MTW is the most modder friendly game i know

Halflife 1/2 and Counterstrike 1/2.

start an early campaign - look at the eastern edge of the map theres a province called "Shazarenreich" (sry germ only) those Shazars r jews and got a exclusive hvycav unit (comparable to mongol hvy cav) that u cant play in multi ...

Quote Originally Posted by voo
    start an early campaign - look at the eastern edge of the map theres a province called "Shazarenreich" (sry germ only) those Shazars r jews and got a exclusive hvycav unit (comparable to mongol hvy cav) that u cant play in multi ...
    Khazar is the name of the province and the Khazars are the people....

They have the Khazar Royal Cavalryman, a very good heavy cavalry unit.... I bribe them every time at the beginning of the game, so I can have an exclusive unit......

Proud

Been to:

Here's a page about the Khazars and links to two other sites: http://www.geocities.com/egfroth1/Khazars

It should be noted that by the start of the game, 1087, the Khazar Kaganate had ceased to exist for about a century.

Out of curiousity: How does the Jewish faith contribute to the game? In the beginning there's a small percentage of Jews in Constantinople, but they disappear from the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast