Thread: Where can I get descriptions of what buildings do?

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Thumbs down Where can I get descriptions of what buildings do?

What buildings add valor, moral, health, feathers, etc? In some games I would be willing to trade Constantinople for an extra feather for my st... st... stupid king. Well that might be a little drastic but it would be nice to know if I could do something to generate some smarter units to make into governors.

I have looked around but havenít found anything comprehensive.

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Where can I get descriptions of what buildings do?

Buildings like Reliquary or Cathedral add morale....

Extra feathers = acumen ..... EVen if you build all the buildings, you kings won't get extra acumen.... And it can't be even modded!!!!

Buildings like Chancellery or Cathedral give you office titles to assign them to generals.... They can't be accorded to heirs...

Use the Dragon MTW Editor to view the descriptions of the buildings...

Cheers
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The hair proves it... Senior Member EatYerGreens's Avatar

I used to think that the king's acumen affected the overall state of the economy but I've seen transitions from a duff king to a high acumen successor, with no massive improvement in the overall economy so I think you're in the fortunate position of not having to worry about leader's acumen.

If you hold Constantinople, I'm guessing your the Byz (I am, in the campaign I've just started). Either build a Royal Palace, or what I just did - capture the ready-built one in Rum.

This will give you 'Chamberlain of the Palace', which awards plus-2 acumen. I slapped this on my governor of Constantinople, who started off at acumen 4.

This is one of very few openings which occur for issuing more than one title to an individual. I'm wondering if three at a time is possible but have yet to reach a stage where I could test this.

I think a cathedral, for the English, say, would allow you to award 'Archbishop of Canterbury' to someone who was already a province governor AND Chancellor of the Exchequer...

It's a shame when a potentially useful combat unit gets a high acumen rating. It's near impossible to avoid the urge to issue them a title. I end up keeping them tucked safely (uselessly you might say) in a castle well nested within home territory. If they ever get to see action in the remainder of the game it will mean I'm in desperate straits of some kind.

Info parchments generally show bonuses they grant, whether they've already been built, or are still on the 'shopping list' page. Read about any building you are considering demolition of, for cash to build something else. +3 morale boost for a cathedral is worth piles more than the cash you'd raise, so that's something you'd only be likely to do as a muslim faction, where you'd not be able to benefit from that boost.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 07-20-2005 at 10:26.

EYG

Quote Originally Posted by yesdachi
    What buildings add valor, moral, health, feathers, etc? In some games I would be willing to trade Constantinople for an extra feather for my st... st... stupid king. Well that might be a little drastic but it would be nice to know if I could do something to generate some smarter units to make into governors.

I have looked around but havenít found anything comprehensive.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

here's a good place.

http://www.totalwar.co.kr/medieval/

go to the "Techtree" tab and click on the individual buildings to see what bonuses they give.

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

@ EatYerGreens - Thanks for a lot of good info. The acumen of the king adds 2% to the total $. I went from a 6-acumen king to this new "special ed" king who also had low influence and no piety. I actually had religious rebellions for the first time! Which wouldnít have been sooo bad if I had some $. I ended up withdrawing from a few provinces, regrouping and taking everything back.
    It was an English/early/expert game (only my 2nd on expert) I didnít win but I finished. I think I will do better next time knowing what I have learned since.

And speaking of learning...
    @phred - Nice link. I didnít realize how many buildings add happiness.

I still have a few questions.

1. Does the College Of Surgeons and other unique buildings add happiness to total population or just the province it is built in? Because you only get one of them I hope it is total population. The provinces I can build it in usually donít need any help.

2. Does the University do anything?

Here is what I have found on my search for buildings info:
    Religious buildings add morale
    Military Academy adds discipline
    Master level training buildings add valor (some provinces do too)
    And happiness comes from to many to list
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Just a couple of my random thoughts on this topic...

Most new Kings start with average influence, but this is the easiest one to increase. Just win a few battles and it's right back up.

The only way to increase acumen is through V&V's and they are out of your control. But that also goes the other way as negative V&V's will lower it.

There's been much discussion about leaving governors idle in their home province sitting in the castle. Some folks believe in the castle increases the chance of negative V&V's, others say no. It is more conclusive that just sitting in a province alone almost guarantees lazy, and the other V&V's along that line and they will lead to lower accumen. Also if you keep them on the move they present less of a target for assassins and inquisitors.
    "IF YOUR ATTACK IS GOING TOO WELL, YOU'RE WALKING INTO AN AMBUSH."

"IF THE ENEMY IS IN RANGE, SO ARE YOU."

There is a virtue (the "nervous line IIRC) that gives acumen and can be sort of farmed by using assassins on the king.
    But beware it's only 25% chance it will go the right way and there's another 25% that it will lower it, still it's better than nothing.
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!