Thread: Family members and influence

Default Family members and influence

I was thinking about this as I played the game. Shouldn't all family members start with a minimum of say 2 or 3 influence just because they are part of your family? Back then being the part of a royal family, be it the son of a king or some distant cousin, earned you influence. Even now, you have the billion dollar families who can sway opinions and whatnot by just being who they are, or get access to things more easily.
    I just think that all family members should start with 2 or 3 influence because of being from that family, and from there it can go up or down depending on traits. It just got old having family members who had no influence, for no reason, and struggled to control a province.

Also is there anyway to increase the random traits that a suitor has? I swear 9 out of 10 suitors have no traits, 1 command star, or have been in wars. That's all I ever get. I need to wait 20 years per daughter before I can get a guy with 1 scroll of management.

On a tree-covered mountain in Anniston, Alabama, USA

Default Re: Family members and influence

Thanks for the suggestions! The EB traits and ancillaries are still in development, and all suggestions and comments are taken into consideration.

I have always found the traits/ancillaries to be a fascinating part of the game and I think EB's system enhances both the historical immersion and the enjoyment of RTW.

Since Influence is a measure of not only how much a man can bend the populace to his will, but also his pull with the nobility and even the other members of the ruling family, it seems some men should be better at this than others, and therefore Influence will vary.

We are including many more triggers for suitors and adoptees, so they will be more than just drunken veterans. There will be as much variety among them as among the born family members.

Cheers!

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!
    -- Aristophanes, if he played EB

I also have a family related question.

Whenever I bribe some family members of another faction, they shows up as children of one of my own family members in the family tree.

This usually stops them from having children of their own which isn't historically accurate I think. Isn't there a way to prevent this?

Quote Originally Posted by GMT
    I also have a family related question.

Whenever I bribe some family members of another faction, they shows up as children of one of my own family members in the family tree.

This usually stops them from having children of their own which isn't historically accurate I think. Isn't there a way to prevent this?
    The family tree is the way RTW represents all your generals. Everyone but the guy at the top must have a father. And a general can only have 4 children. I don't like to say this, but this is a hard-coded representation and isn't something that can be modded.

Also, births and offers of adoption and marriage are determined based on how many provinces you have compared to how many generals. If the ratio is too low, you'll have more births and offers. Bribing generals tends to shut down births as a result.

Ah! the Generals! they are numerous, but not good for much (especially if they're Languorous)!

Is it possible to have a lott more genarals then provinces???? That should make the game even better then it is.

Well, you can have a bunch of generals to provinces in several different ways:

1. If you have it that way at the start (1 province and 4 generals, for example)
    2. If you lose a lot of provinces, without losing any generals
    3. If you bribe a lot of generals to join you

The game is not going to be giving you many children, adoptions or suitors if you have what it deems to be enough generals (around 1 general for every 2 or 3 provinces).