Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much do macadonians kick tail!!!!

i live in rossington, doncaster, south yorkshire, england

Angry how much do macadonians kick tail!!!!

jus thort id post my thorts and see wot u all think bout them.

aint it so much fun t play as the macadonians and line up ur phalanx of pikemen and watch ur enemy march rite into the spear points as ur cavalry smashes into them from the sides and rear, then the all start t crumble and die, ahh what a sight.

in the rite hands a macadonian army is invincible i think against ANY foe.

wot do u all think?

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Default Re: how much do macadonians kick ass!!!!

I think that some posts are even for SpellCheck to difficult to fix

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Get an english teacher and then we'll talk.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke John
    I think that some posts are even for SpellCheck to difficult to fix

LMAO, ROFL....

I kicked the Macedonians a$$ easy by pumping rivers of Triarii and Preatorian Cohorts

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

hahaha your all so funny. big deal so i spelt macedonia wrong and i put some of my words in text form bt you wouldnt realise that coming from shit countries.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I think the Seluecids are superior to the Macedonians, they get Cataphracts, Companions, Legionaries and great pikemen.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Default Re: how much do macadonians kick tail!!!!

I sometimes dislike the presence of mods.....

If they weren't, I would have started a flame war.....
    And also, I take it as an insult......

Last edited by edyzmedieval; 07-18-2005 at 10:52. Reason: Papewaio's Warning

Proud

Been to:

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Why flame when people resort to name-calling? They already lost.

Indeed my brother,

They have lost the war.....

Back to topic.

The Seleucids are the most powerful from the Hellenistic world.... Their Cataphracts and those Elephants combined with phalanxes make them the most powerful faction in the game....

Proud

Been to:

Unhappy Re: how much do macadonians kick ass!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy
    in the rite hands a macadonian army is invincible i think against ANY foe.
    Yes, Macedonian forces are invincible. Noone can best them. But it also may come to the wits of the general as well.

Last time, my force consisted of 5 cavalry and 1 hoplita unit (cca 160 soldier). The Greek came upon me with 650 men army (half hoplites, half velites) I decided to fight it down manually. Well, in the outcome I've lost 30 men, they've lost 600. It was unbelievable! I thought I've taken a great risk to have nothing but cavalry against those nasty hoplitas (which was a reasonable worry), but it proved too easy to best them.

Well.

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Indeed my brother,

They have lost the war.....

Back to topic.

The Seleucids are the the most powerful faction in the game....
    O contrare, I do believe you are referring to the Egyptians....
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

the eygptions are fake and weak. The good thing about them is they have a very cheap phalanx unit, but any phalanx woks good.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Egyptians don't really have any weaknesses. They get phalanxes, regular infantry, good cavalry and excellent archers (pharaohs bowmen are just sick. I've seen them beat numidian legionary unit in MELEE combat). And then they get normal chariots and missile chariots.

Seleucids are very good except for one weak spot: they don't get any decent archers of their own.

Macedonians get good phalanx and good cavalry, but that's about it.

Overall, Egypt > Seleucids > Macedon. But I think Seleucids are the most fun to play, both for the challenge in surviving the early game, and for the great joy of training those elephants later

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Alexandros
    Last time, my force consisted of 5 cavalry and 1 hoplita unit (cca 160 soldier). The Greek came upon me with 650 men army (half hoplites, half velites) I decided to fight it down manually. Well, in the outcome I've lost 30 men, they've lost 600. It was unbelievable! I thought I've taken a great risk to have nothing but cavalry against those nasty hoplitas (which was a reasonable worry), but it proved too easy to best them.Well.
    The AI doesn't seem to know how to keep a phalanx line intact. I love going up against them with calvalry, because it's so easy to tease apart the formation with feint maneuvers. Then they start running around like ants, pointing in all directions as they try to chase down my cavalry (hah!), and they get torn up with my bowmen and artillery. If the AI would quit taking that kind of bait, and keep the phalanx line intact and marching forward, it would be fearsome indeed.

But I guess that's not an easy thing to program in an AI routine... trying to figure out if an approaching enemy unit is "faking it" or actually attacking.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

hmm want to know an unbeatable tactic? just put up a full army consisting armoured elephants that you simply rush them all in to those stupid macedon phalanx and such. easy win minimum losses .
    Macedon wasn't build in one night

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Who needs archers when you have COmpanions and Cataphracts? I rarely use missiles troops in a decisive fashion except in brige battles. I have held the bridge separating Gaul from Northern Italia (west side of top of the boot) with an army of 1 chariot archers, 2 slingers and 2 swordsmen with heroics against 3:1 odds. That is the only time my missiles units are truly decisive, otherwise my cavalry and heavy infantry generally prove far more valuable, and besides archers and Cretans are fine for missile work.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Macedon has the best army..

Phalanx pikemen and compainion cavavlry. This is the best combo..

And like Uesugi said, you have acces to the cretian archers who are probably the best archers in the game.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Hey, don´t forget the Greeks: Athenean hoplites, Spartan hoplites and armoured hoplites (can take on thoose dredded cohorts any day), decent archers (+cretan archers), heavy peltasts etc. Weak cav though but who needs them. I just bring 2 along for flanking.

I like to do the whole traditional thing. Use siege weapons to soften them up, then continue with archers using fire arrows, and finally move the infantry in. Use cavalry to feint and break up their line or hit their flank.

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy
    hahaha your all so funny. big deal so i spelt macedonia wrong and i put some of my words in text form bt you wouldnt realise that coming from shit countries.
    Are you friend of Clayton?
    P.S. You have something in common.

I'd say that Greeks and Selucids are both better than the Macedonians, especially in RTR.

Originally Posted by ptolemy
    I would like to point out that the majority of folks from Yorkshire, come to that, the North of England...or even at a push south of Watford do not behave like this...
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

yes i must apologize it was not my place to insult you or your countries it was a silly outburst on my part, and so i offer my forgiveness.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    Macedon has the best army..

Phalanx pikemen and compainion cavavlry. This is the best combo..

And like Uesugi said, you have acces to the cretian archers who are probably the best archers in the game.
    You do realize that Seleucids also get phalanx pikemen + companions? And they get cataphracts which are better than maccie cavalry. Everything that Macedon can do, Seleucids can also do. But seleucids get elephants and chariots, while Macedon doesn't.

As for Cretan archers, they are mercs. Anyone can hire them, but only in certain provinces and only when they appear. You can't retrain them. Macedon can use them in custom/multiplayer battles though, which is a nice advantage to them.

BTW the reason why you should get good archers even when you have cataphracts and what not, is that you can then easily minimize casualties. Even win battles without a single casualty to your own troops. With the right formations and manouvering you can force a situation where the enemy has only two choises: to sit still and be killed by arrows to every last man, or to charge directly to your pikes. And good long range archers are very effective placed on stone walls when you sally out to drive away a besieging army.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Angry Re: how much do macadonians kick ass!!!!

They sure do look cool those macedonians, and i have won a battle or two with them on my side...but i have also lost horribly. A freind of mine kicked my ars back to macedonia with a large selucid army, and i haven't dared use those macedonians again. Its all cohorts for me now. Long live Rome!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah, macedonians are awesome in the right hands and should never be taken lightly.

I've never lost to the Macedonians.

But they are one of the few factions to put up a fight, unlike that shite country Britain.

J/K mate.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

I respect the level of detail you give in your location ptolemy. If I hadn't moved we'd nearly be neighbours.

Oh and by the way, Selucids rule. They remind me of the Macedonians in Age Of Empires.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: how much do macadonians kick tail!!!!

Let's keep this thread civil

You do realize that Seleucids also get phalanx pikemen + companions? And they get cataphracts which are better than maccie cavalry. Everything that Macedon can do, Seleucids can also do. But seleucids get elephants and chariots, while Macedon doesn't.

Really never knew

I like the macedons starting position much better though, plus their the kingdom the alexander came from. Sure they got a lot less than the selucids, but i like the better anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by PseRamesses
    Hey, don´t forget the Greeks: Athenean hoplites,
    Excuse me?!
    Athenean Hoplites?!

BTW,

Ptolemy, your apologies are accepted.

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast