Thread: Any artists here?

Default Any artists here?

No, not you doodling, vegetarian types. I mean musicians, singers, emcees, etc...

Personally, my singing is abysmal, I have some small talent making beats and I've been an emcee for a short minute now. And yes, you more perceptive ones will realize this is a not so subtle plug. Now, I will wait to pounce on someone who asks for a sample. :)
    Drink water.

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Default Re: Any artists here?

Well if you could call my attempt to play the guitar, being a musician. I guess I am then. Also used to play the trumpet.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMZ
    No, not you doodling,
    awww,...

On a serious note, yes I do what i consider art. I take artistic photographs. I am also really interested in films, and I would like to make one one day, even if it sucks.

ahh - interesting - any particular style of photos? landscapes? cityscape? people? etc?

---

and so much for sublety:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...D=2653056&q=Hi

needs a final EQ and such, but the guy who was doing the producing is MIA... and I got tired of waiting
    Drink water.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

haha, the one about "black jesus" was pretty funny. was that used in an actual battle?

unfortunately i don't think you'll find many rap/hiphop fans on these boards (there's probably like 3 total). is this something you want to make a career of? if so, you probably need to get out of SC right?

while i'm not a big fan of your style (just not to my taste), talent-wise i think you're probably pretty good for an amateur. i'd need to hear those songs after the producer hits them anyway. keep at it.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

yeah - done a bit of battling, more of a songwriter though

I post on a couple boards dedicated to hiphop - I just figured since I started posting here I'd throw it out there... I dunno about career - been recording for six or seven months now - if I can make money of it well and good - if not, that's fine too... and yeah SC is pretty dead as far as opportunity

thanks for the feedback - you do anything yourself or just a keen eared listener?
    Drink water.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I play the keyboards. Not that well, but well enough to have fun. Mostly Pink Floyd and Deep Purple songs.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by SMZ
    you do anything yourself or just a keen eared listener?
    just a listener, unfortunately.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

well, since 'artist' is a pretty broad term, here's what i've been doing lately. or, at least a sampling thereof. this is all photo-art, photo restoration, photo manipulation and so on.

K.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I have questions, indeed, Kraellin....

Where did you get that avatar?! I LOVE IT!!!!!

And BTW, I had plans on becoming a musician but I dropped it....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Nice Work, Kraellin.

As for being an 'artist', I play the piano and viola, mosty classical stuff.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

edyz,

i made the avatar from some others i had edited or made myself.

thanks, marcellus :)

K.
    Last edited by Kraellin; 07-17-2005 at 23:50.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

I compose my own music, Neo-Baroque style. My mates tell me it's pretty good.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Of those three, I'm one of them. Influenced by Mos Def, Rakim and Nas is respect, my friend. But, you sure you not influenced by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien? I dunno, but samples of your work (particularly that collab with Bounce) remind me of Del.

Personally, I dabble in freestyling occasionally with some friends -- in Dutch, mind you. If you can speak of influences, I would speak of Slick Rick, CL Smooth and Big Gipp (yes, omg, dirty south rapper from Goodie Mob ) -- but those are my favorite MCs to listen to skill-wise. Usually composed of the first wackass/crazy thoughts that come up in my mind, which I weld together in a rhyme scheme. These freestyles aren't too long, only about forty-fifty bars -- but better than that pop hoe 50 with his crapass rhymes but catchy hooks (not to mention what his success rests on: Dr. Dre's producing talent), if I may say so myself. I'm more of a freebooting Biz Markie

My only other art is writing -- which I take a lot more seriously. And do a lot more often (even though some fans may disagree on that last bit ).

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 07-18-2005 at 02:55.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

heh - my "influenced by" list is also my "only people I listen to" list basically - negroes be poor and can't afford buying CD's nah mean? I could always download music, but my connection is most unfortunately only 56k... and I don't have the patience for that - so I said all that to finally get to the point that I never heard anything by Del :(

yeah, I agree freestyling is pretty fun when you get in that mood - don't get me started on 50 and the other pop-rap stars... errrr

What type of things do you write? I've always wrote a lot and that's what kinda led into this. I started writing lyrics and then my friends kept bugging me so I started performing said lyrics

---

Nice work especially on the children's photo Kraellin

---

Marcellus I took piano lessons as a child, but sadly remember almost nothing. I can read the music, but I'm reduced to pecking the notes out :( Viola is a nice instrument, I like fast paced songs

---

Silver Knight - Neo-Baroque? I could look it up but I figure since you're interested in it you'll probably enjoy telling anyway :)
    Drink water.

unfortunately i don't think you'll find many rap/hiphop fans on these boards (there's probably like 3 total).
    I am one of those 3. I love rap and hip hop. Although my singing is not all that good, I try.

just a guess, but neo-baroque is probably just baroque music composed after the baroque era (in this case, contemporarily). i would attempt to describe baroque music as the emergence of monody, and the morphing of renaissance polyphony into counterpoint. a few major baroque composers are monteverdi (early), vivaldi and purcell (middle), and bach and handel (late).

neo-baroque is probably similar to neo-classical in that it's not strictly limited to a regurgitation of it's mother-style; it probably borrows a little from musical styles developed after baroque music. as an example of what i'm referring to, compare some classical music (haydn, mozart, etc.) to neo-classical works like prokofiev's 1st symphony, stravinsky's piano concerto, or hindemith's kammermusik works.

any of the major 'movements' in art-music probably have a "neo-" version by this point. however, i don't think i've ever heard any neo-baroque music.

Silver, do you have any samples of your compositions you can share?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vip3r
    I am one of those 3. I love rap and hip hop. Although my singing is not all that good, I try.
    Count 4.... I'm obsessed with rap/hip hop....

Nas(awesome rapper), Run DMC, MC Hammer, Public Enemy(man, I love them), 2Pac(R.I.P.).....

And from the modern times: Murphy Lee and Ludacris.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

Blog Entries

I do a touch of lyrics/song writing, as well as some poetry. I do sing, can't say my voice is abysmal, just not par with professionals.

Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Count 4.... I'm obsessed with rap/hip hop....

Nas(awesome rapper), Run DMC, MC Hammer, Public Enemy(man, I love them), 2Pac(R.I.P.).....

And from the modern times: Murphy Lee and Ludacris.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John
    just a guess, but neo-baroque is probably just baroque music composed after the baroque era (in this case, contemporarily). i would attempt to describe baroque music as the emergence of monody, and the morphing of renaissance polyphony into counterpoint. a few major baroque composers are monteverdi (early), vivaldi and purcell (middle), and bach and handel (late).

neo-baroque is probably similar to neo-classical in that it's not strictly limited to a regurgitation of it's mother-style; it probably borrows a little from musical styles developed after baroque music. as an example of what i'm referring to, compare some classical music (haydn, mozart, etc.) to neo-classical works like prokofiev's 1st symphony, stravinsky's piano concerto, or hindemith's kammermusik works.

any of the major 'movements' in art-music probably have a "neo-" version by this point. however, i don't think i've ever heard any neo-baroque music.

Silver, do you have any samples of your compositions you can share?
    You are correct in your explanation.
    I unfortunately have no midi files of mine (I compose and perform on a midi keyboard) uploaded, but I'll look into it.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverKnight
    I unfortunately have no midi files of mine (I compose and perform on a midi keyboard) uploaded, but I'll look into it.
    yeah, it'll give me a chance to fire up my copy of finale2000!

for file-hosting try http://www.rapidshare.de

edit: hmm, would karl jenkins' palladio be considered neo-baroque? what about villa-lobos' bachianas brasileiras? if so, then i have heard neo-baroque.
    Last edited by Big_John; 07-18-2005 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John
    yeah, it'll give me a chance to fire up my copy of finale2000!

for file-hosting try http://www.rapidshare.de

edit: hmm, would karl jenkins' palladio be considered neo-baroque? what about villa-lobos' bachianas brasileiras? if so, then i have heard neo-baroque.
    Bachianas Brasilieras is very reminiscent of works by Robert de Visee and Sylvius Leopold Weiss, both of those accomplished 18th century lutists, so I think Bachianas Brasiliers could be considered both modernistic and neo-baroque

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

I play a bit of guitar, and I can sing. Not well, but I do.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Blah, Tupac. Gimme Biggie any day -- but then I'm more of an Eastcoast brother man, if you catch my drift. And while I like that Biggie's slow flow doesn't impair his skill, the recycling of old samples by his producer Puffy doesn't really earn him props. Although Big's pre-Ready To Die freestyles are surprisingly good. Not quite last episode of Yo! MTV Raps quality, but still good.

SMZ, I do occasionally write rhymes when friends bug me with it, but mostly I don't write those but stories. Fan fiction or something out of my own mind, short or long, you name it -- whatever comes up in my mind. Think of the movie Finding Forrester, subtract the socially critical/conscious part (I write about common emotions, problems and feelings, yes, but not in a way comparable to such books as Catcher in the Rye -- I'm not good enough [yet?] to achieve such levels, obviously) and you're probably quite close. Well, no old famous writer to teach me (again, yet? ), but still close!

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

I kick back in me spare time and muck about with a couple of music porgrames
    Acid pro
    Fruitloops
    good to cut and edit loops . morph wave lenghths pitchs and tone
    few good concepts house, trance , heavy, rave wateva ya fancy .

I'm not a good guitar player, but I can manage a little bit on the piano, and the tin whistle is coming, slowly but surely. Mostly, I stick to vocals, which, if I may be so immodest, is one of my better abilities.

Nice work especially on the children's photo Kraellin
    thanks, SMZ :)

K.

For anyone looking for neo-Baroque repertoire, I fully recommend the Concerto Grossi of the Russian composer Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998).

Schnittke: brief biography

A.