Thread: Best childrens books?

Question Best childrens books?

In light of the Parry Hotter thread...who do the patrons think is, in their opinion, the 'best' childrens books.....

Anyone putting Enid Blyton down will be shipped off to the west-country and be force fed cup cakes with lashings of ginger beer!!!!

Personally I loved the 'William' books when I was a nipper...(and they still make me laugh out loud today...30 years later )

http://www.sharpsoftware.co.uk/william/

there you go....
    There are times I wish theyd just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. Its like being executed with a bacon slicer.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Default Re: Best childrens books?

Yeah, I like Just William a lot too.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

My nine year-old is on (about) book 13 of the Series of Unfortunate Events books. She loves them. She's on the second Harry Potter as well. The Goosebumps books are good, she likes those too.

For my part, I enjoyed Stuart Little and the Winnie the Pooh books very much.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Best childrens books?

my list of favourites:

1. You Are Different and That's Bad
    2. The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables
    3. Dad's New Wife Robert
    4. Fun four-letter Words to Know and Share
    5. Hammers, Screwdrivers and Scissors: An I-Can-Do-It Book
    6. The Kids' Guide to Hitchhiking
    7. Julie Was So Bad Her Mom Stopped Loving Her
    8. Curious George and the High-Voltage Fence
    9. All Cats Go to Hell
    10. The Little Sissy Who Snitched
    11. Some Kittens Can Fly
    12. That's it, I'm Putting You Up for Adoption
    13. Grandpa Gets a Casket
    14. The Magic World Inside the Abandoned Refrigerator
    15. Garfield Gets Feline Leukemia
    16. The Pop-Up Book of Human Anatomy
    17. Strangers Have the Best Candy
    18. Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way
    19. You Were an Accident
    20. Things Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will
    21. Pop! Goes The Hamster...And Other Great Microwave Games
    22. The Man in the Moon Is Actually Satan
    23. Your Nightmares Are Real
    24. Mamma's on crack and I don't care
    25. Eggs, Toilet Paper, and Your School
    26. Why Can't Mr. Fork and Ms. Electrical Outlet Be Friends?
    27. Places Where Mommy and Daddy Hide Neat Things
    28. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Ronin that is horrible! I love it!

What a dreaful list. Did you come up with all those or did you find them somewhere?

My favorites when I was growing up (for non-fiction) were Brian Jacques Redwall series. Heck, I still like those.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

The Lord of the Rings. Please make children read these books before their minds are polluted by those dreadful films.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Best childrens books?

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak

Ronin that is horrible! I love it!

What a dreaful list. Did you come up with all those or did you find them somewhere?

My favorites when I was growing up (for non-fiction) were Brian Jacques Redwall series. Heck, I still like those.

Azi

naw...i didnt come up with it....its an old list that was making the email circle over here some time ago
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

I used to love anything by Roald Dahl, especially the BFG.
    "Look Ive got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said wed provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well its great to be able to say were better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what Im remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what Im thinking Im remembering its all a bit wonky isnt it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Two that I can still remember despite the obscuring gray mists of time and adult life are: "Where the Wild Things Are," and "Harold and the Purple Crayon." I think both had a profound effect on developing notions of imagination and creativity for me as a youngster.

Dr. Seuss books were a big deal when I was very young. Green Eggs and Ham, of course, was a major favorite.

As I grew up a bit, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Chronicles of Prydain (set in fantasy "Gwynedd" which first got me interested in Wales), and all of Tolkien's Middle Earth books were favorites, which I still go back and read ccasionally as an adult.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

A lot of the newberry honor and medal books are good. Arthur Ransome and Edith Nesbit were two of my faves when I was a kid. Can't think of the others just now.

R.L. Stevenson
    King Solomons Mines

Winnie the Pooh was my fave when I was real young.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 07-17-2005 at 18:49.