Thread: Horde Effect

Proud Knight of the AMC Member RTW King's Avatar

Default Horde Effect

As part of a mod I'm making, I wanted to put barbarians such as Swordsmen into horde instead of square formations. Does this effect thier performance in battle at all? I dead a couple of test battles, and I think it might effect casualties when charged, but I'm not sure.
    Join the AMC. Down with rappers!

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Re: Horde Effect

Horde is like loose so units loose less from archers, but are weaker when fighting..

Wrong forum btw,

As this is a question, it has been moved from the Forge to the General forum.

RTW King check your PMs.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

It's related to modding, so don't worry.

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Horde is just annoying. You simply can't position your troops properly. You know that right-click-and-drag method for stretching your formation? It doesn't work. Hordes can't be stretched or squished, which makes deploying them in or around cities very annoying. Also, missile units in horde get screwed, because they're spread out more and therefore they have to wait longer and let the enemy approach closer before they can fire as opposed to a thin rectangle. Cilician Pirates can't fire their pila until the enemy is virtually on top of them.

-Simetrical
    Last edited by Simetrical; 07-20-2005 at 18:20.
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it? They're supposed to be a "horde", a group of untrained people who don't know how to march in unison.

but they know how to live, i wouldnt be following no dam order to throw my spear if the enemy was in my face.

but i dont think cilicains do that do much, it's the same with romans anyway.

Personally, I have no problem with 'horde' formations for melee troops, but anything that needs to shoot or throw needs to have some kind of proper formation unless you are talking about really wild and uncivilised troops!

The range at which missile troops engage might also have some bearing on this.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Horde is okay so long as you don't have big gaps between the soldiers, I tighten up the unit spacing for the Pirates to make them more effective.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out