Thread: other Non-roman factions Playable??

Default other Non-roman factions Playable??

I`m a bit new to RTW but i gone for a while in the Scipii camp.
    and i was shocked that i can`t play with other factions?
    except the 3 roman factions
    isn`t there any mods around enabling other factions?
    or is there is an option in the game to enable them and i`m missing!

Default Re: other Non-roman factions Playable??

To get some of the other factions beat a campagin as a Roman faction. To get all factions you must mod, of download a mod.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Download just about any mod(non-coversion)

or you could do some fairly simple text editing..

*SIGH* the never ending question...

1) Find the file "descr_strat" in ...\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign.txt

2)Open it up.

3)cut the faction you want to play as from the section its under (either unlockable or nonplayable, and copy it into the playable section, that should do it.

Also on that same file for those who wish to play a very long campaign, you have the start date and end date that can be modded there, it says start_date -270 summer and end_date 14 summer.

I got the info from some guys guide. His guide is great and you should read it (Check the "guides" Forum for frogbeasteggs guide)

EDIT:link

You can use a mod or you can do it yourself.

From your Rome: Total War directory go into Data->world->maps->campaign->imperial_campaign->descr_strat.txt
    Copy the file. Rename the new file "descr_strat_original.txt" so you know which one is untouched. Open up the other file.
    You should immediately see this:
    Code:
    ; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign		imperial_campaign
    playable
    	romans_julii
    	romans_brutii
    	romans_scipii
    end
    unlockable
    	egypt
    	seleucid
    	carthage
    	parthia
    	gauls
    	germans
    	britons
    	greek_cities
    end
    nonplayable
    	romans_senate
    	macedon
    	pontus
    	armenia
    	dacia
    	scythia
    	spain
    	thrace
    	numidia
    	slave
    end
    Copy both the unlockable names and nonplayable names except for romans_senate and slave. Those correspond to SPQR and Rebel factions ingame. If you want to play as SPQR get the SPQR mod as it makes the SPQR a true faction. The file should look like this afterwords:
    Code:
    ; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign		imperial_campaign
    playable
    	romans_julii
    	romans_brutii
    	romans_scipii
    	egypt
    	seleucid
    	carthage
    	parthia
    	gauls
    	germans
    	britons
    	greek_cities
    	macedon
    	pontus
    	armenia
    	dacia
    	scythia
    	spain
    	thrace
    	numidia
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
    	romans_senate
    	slave
    end
    Now if at any time you want to go back to the old way go in the same folder. Rename the "descr_strat.txt" file to "descr_strat_copy.txt". Then rename the "descr_strat_original.txt" to "descr_strat.txt". The game just searches for "descr_strat.txt" so you just have to change the name of the file that you want to use whether it be the original settings or the new ones.

If you beat the game with any Roman faction a new file will be created called "unlocked.txt". This file contains some nonprintable characters(for me they are) which the game understands. This tells the game to unlock the factions listed under unlockable. The game never edits "descr_strat.txt". It checks "descr_strat.txt" for what factions are playable. If nothing has changed in that file it searches for "unlocked.txt". If that file exists, it follows
    whatever factions is tells it to unlock. Otherwise, it just considers no factions to be unlocked and you can only play the Roman factions.

Good luck

jeeeeesus, how many times do we have to go through this? >.<

Can somebody sticky a thread that says, in all caps, YOU CAN PLAY ALL FACTIONS! READ THIS!

>.<

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

It is an understandable question though, it was one of the first things i wanted to know when i got into mods for mtw.

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    jeeeeesus, how many times do we have to go through this? >.<

Can somebody sticky a thread that says, in all caps, YOU CAN PLAY ALL FACTIONS! READ THIS!

>.<
    But no body reads stickies. I know from experience at RTW heaven where they have a newbie FAQ stickied. And we still get the same kind of threads like this.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Doesn't the manual itself say that you have to complete a campaign as one of the Roman factions to unlock the other playable factions?
    Proud Strategos of the

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Thunder
    Doesn't the manual itself say that you have to complete a campaign as one of the Roman factions to unlock the other playable factions?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it does but who reads the manual these days? I read it but most people don't. They just get into the game right away. I guess with the prologue you don't need the manual.

Someone mentioned somewhere that you could only unlock factions that you had destroyed in a previous campaign. Is that correct, or does completing any campaign unlock the unlockable factions?

I'm not interested in modding the files. That's a different question. I want to unlock as the designers intended.

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Someone mentioned somewhere that you could only unlock factions that you had destroyed in a previous campaign. Is that correct, or does completing any campaign unlock the unlockable factions?

I'm not interested in modding the files. That's a different question. I want to unlock as the designers intended.

Um...you can't. Once you beat a campaign, you can always use the other "playable" factions. HOW EVER, you cannot play the "unlplayable" factions....why? Ca wanted to appeal to the console gamers whoare used to this kind of thing.

It doesn't really bother me though, since you can easily just change it

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    I got the info from some guys guide. His guide is great and you should read it (Check the "guides" Forum for frogbeasteggs guide)

EDIT:link
    Ehem....'some guy' has a name y'know...hint hint...anyways, for the writer of this thread, here is a link to the all-fractions unlocker.

All fractions (including Senate!!)

Can someone keep this link safe please and pass it around? Because i seem to be one of only about 3 people on these forums who has it, and i don't know how much longer my Hard Drive can hold out before i lose all data, including the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Yes, it was just a joke. I mentioned frogbeasteggs name and gave a link to the guide...so i doubt any one would be mad....

Oh and by the way, why not have a link to my guide? My guide is put in a format so even the most mentally challenged of patrons can understand it.

My Guide
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Because i like to scare people with less idiot-friendly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    Ehem....'some guy' has a name y'know...hint hint...anyways, for the writer of this thread, here is a link to the all-fractions unlocker.

All fractions (including Senate!!)

Can someone keep this link safe please and pass it around? Because i seem to be one of only about 3 people on these forums who has it, and i don't know how much longer my Hard Drive can hold out before i lose all data, including the link.
    Why does everyone call them fractions? Is this some sort of joke or just a big misspelling that everyone has a habit of doing?

There is no 'r' in "factions".

I saw a few newbs mispelling it, and i just couldn't resist. Now, whenever i remember, i spell it fractions. Anyway, i see that you're new here. To help you understand some of the main jokes around here, here is some recommended reading material: So what Bartix!?

Trust me, as well giving you a nice read and a good laugh, it will help you understand some of the jokes around here.

Like my sig

Also check out the "Count down to open beta: Bartix" thread in the EB forum.

Yeah. But before you read the Bartix lore, you will need to familiarise yourself with the changes that are going on with the Europa Barbarorum mod. Otherwise to you Bartix will mean nothing except invaderix from Uranix... :-D

BTW mongoose, you overdid Bartixian... as dark lord of Bartix you ought to have a more comprehensive understanding of Bartixian syntax and grammar, the -ix- suffix only applies to verbs...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

HA! Here is proof from the holy abokasix himself that my bartixain was correct!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50718

Nowix boix dowix toix thix mightix lordix ofix bartix!

(i can't speak like the Gods themselves, so instead of replacing the last to letters, i simply added the "ix" to make it easier for the common folk to understand)
    Last edited by Mongoose; 07-20-2005 at 01:39.

Your wisdomix, oh great darkix lordix, is most awesomix... puissantix messengix of the deitix of smilix, i kissix the very groundix you treadix uponix... *kowtowix*

*ROFLMAOix*
    Last edited by pezhetairoi; 07-20-2005 at 01:55.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004