Thread: Some Modding Questions

Proud Knight of the AMC Member RTW King's Avatar

Default Some Modding Questions

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but I am quite new to modding:

1. How do you change units speed?
    2. How do you make units available as mercenaries in certain regions?

This is more of a problem than a question, but I made Amazon Chariots available to Greeks in custom battle but when the battle starts the game crashes sometimes. Do you have any idea why this is?
    Join the AMC. Down with rappers!

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Some Modding Questions

1. You have to edit the animation. I've never done it myself so hopefully someone else can help you there.

2. Go to Data/world/maps/campaign/my_campaign/descr_mercenaries.txt
    where my_campaign is the name of the campaign you want to edit. imperial_campaign for the standard campaign.

Here, mercenaries are organised by pool. Each pool usually covers several regions.
    For example

Code:
    pool Britain
    	regions	Britannia_Inferior Tribus_Silurii Britannia_Superior Hibernia			
    	unit merc barbarian infantry,			exp 0 cost 800 replenish 0.06 - 0.19 max 2 initial 1
    The pool named 'Britain' covers the regions Britannia_Inferior, Tribus_Silurii, Britannia_Superior and Hibernia. In this pool, you can recruit merc barbarian infantry as mercenaries. They come with 0 experience and cost 800 denarii.

Code:
    replenish 0.06 - 0.19
    controls how quickly they appear. There can only be 2 units at once, and there is one available at the start of the game. Hope this helps.

The short answer to speeding up the units movement is :

Each unit animation for walking, running etc. takes a certain amount of time. Say, for arguments sake, it has 20 frames of animation ( I think this is usual for RTW ) and covers a certain amount of ground in the animations movement.

If you reduced teh number of frames it took to cover the same amount of ground, you can make the unit move a bit faster. It will reach the end of it's animation cycle a bit sooner. This is quite a time consuming thing to do though, and may also result in jerkier movement if overdone.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Or you can just use Vercingetorix's AnimEditor. It can scale the speed of movement. But I heard it's buggy in the way it messed up the horse's animation. But infantry seems ok so far for me. I made a copy of fs_2handed skeleton to run as fast as fs_fast_swordsman.

The old Animation Editor has been superceeded by Xidx. I think the speed thing may be in that as well. The scaling function certainly is.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!