View Poll Results: The best debator of the Backroom?

Voters
55. This poll is closed
  • Pindar

    18 32.73%
  • JAG

    2 3.64%
  • Gawain of Orkeny

    4 7.27%
  • Don Corleone

    8 14.55%
  • hurin rules

    0 0%
  • Kaiser of Arabia

    0 0%
  • adrian II

    3 5.45%
  • Ichi

    3 5.45%
  • Devastatin Dave

    0 0%
  • Proletariat

    3 5.45%
  • Tribesman

    2 3.64%
  • Byzantine Prince

    1 1.82%
  • Daemon Archangel

    0 0%
  • Franconicus

    1 1.82%
  • RedLeg

    1 1.82%
  • Goof ball

    0 0%
  • Red Harvest

    0 0%
  • Steppe Mercenary

    0 0%
  • PanzerJaeger

    2 3.64%
  • Other, please state

    7 12.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 60

Thread: Best debator of the backroom?

  1. #1
    Shadow Senior Member Kagemusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Helsinki,Finland
    Posts
    9,546

    Default Best debator of the backroom?

    Who is the best debator of the backroom?
    These guys came first in to my mind dont take offense if you are great debator,but you are not on the list only because i havent ever seen you here in Backroom. I voted for Pindar,because what ive seen he is just one tough debator .
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-19-2005 at 21:18.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

  2. #2
    |LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Munich...I wish...
    Posts
    4,788

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Gawain, Redleg, and meh...I forget his name....
    Oh and Dave

    Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

  3. #3
    Member Member ah_dut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Redleg and Gawain are very good for the cons...and Pindar is mindboggling

    Goof is good for the left

    and Can't forget Simon can I?

    Dave gets a special mention because he's Dave

  4. #4
    Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    7,907

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    I shouldn't be on there, I'm a very bad debator.

    "But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

  5. #5
    Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    7,588

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    I voted other, because I think Aurelian and Pindar would be tied, and only Pindar got a slot (not that he doesn't deserve it). Aurelian just isn't on enough to get his props.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

    "Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

  6. #6
    Shadow Senior Member Kagemusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Helsinki,Finland
    Posts
    9,546

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    I shouldn't be on there, I'm a very bad debator.
    Thats your opinion.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Running in circles in the white tower
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    The list contains a lot of patrons who make/made great contributions to discussions here (regradless of their political position).

    My personal vote went to "Other", which means Aurelian in this case.

  8. #8
    Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    7,588

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    I shouldn't be on there, I'm a very bad debator.
    I disagree. You listen to the nuances of people's arguments much better than most. And I don't consider your tendency to try to view all sides a handicap. But you don't hold a candle to Pindar & Aurelian, but they're not really in the same league. Their arguments get so esoteric, halfway through a thread, I can hardly understand what they're talking about anymore (Hurin too, when he goes that route).
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

    "Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

  9. #9
    Shadow Senior Member Kagemusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Helsinki,Finland
    Posts
    9,546

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    The list contains a lot of patrons who make/made great contributions to discussions here (regradless of their political position).

    My personal vote went to "Other", which means Aurelian in this case.
    Im sorry about the Aurelian,but i havent stumbled upon on him because im just a newbie here in backroom.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

  10. #10
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Tribesman, because he's witty and always has something intelligent to add even though his posts are not as long as others he has a great way of discrediting others.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Running in circles in the white tower
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    Im sorry about the Aurelian,but i havent stumbled upon on him because im just a newbie here in backroom.
    NP - unfortunately he does not post here that often

  12. #12
    Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    7,907

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    I disagree. You listen to the nuances of people's arguments much better than most. And I don't consider your tendency to try to view all sides a handicap. But you don't hold a candle to Pindar & Aurelian, but they're not really in the same league. Their arguments get so esoteric, halfway through a thread, I can hardly understand what they're talking about anymore (Hurin too, when he goes that route).
    Heh, well I still would have to disagree with you, there are far better debators, including yourself. And yes, I often have difficulty deciphering Pindars points, but they are almost always very good ones.

    "But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

  13. #13
    RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,545

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    I consider you all "master-debators".
    RIP Tosa

  14. #14
    Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ruins of Atlantis a.k.a Florida
    Posts
    1,658

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    I consider you all "master-debators".

    somebody watched Joe Schmo

  15. #15
    Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,407

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    PanzerJager.

  16. #16
    Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Golden Caliphate
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    I voted Jag. Though I don't agree with his opinions that often he rarely gives a response where I just stare in bemusement thinking 'WTF?' Better the enemy you can comprehend I say.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

  17. #17
    Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    7,588

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?


    WTF???
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

    "Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

  18. #18
    Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Far up in the Magnolia Tree.
    Posts
    3,550

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    I'm at a loss as well.

  19. #19
    Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Golden Caliphate
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Why are you confused?
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

  20. #20
    boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    OB
    Posts
    3,752

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    yeah, it's either pindar or aurelian. forgot about aurelian since i haven't seen him here in a good while. voted pindar.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

  21. #21
    Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    7,588

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    Why are you confused?
    There's been plenty of times I read what Jag has written and found myself scratching and searching for meaning. I don't mean the uncountable times I've disagreed, I mean the times I haven't understood.

    Get him to explain to you how he's 100% in favor of individual responsiblity, yet, at the end of the day, everything is society's fault. So much circular logic, I couldn't see straight when he was done...

    And this is no attack on Jag. I like the guy, and I respect the fact that he comes from a moral place, as he sees it. I just can't follow his logic sometimes. (And when I can, I usually disagree with it )
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-19-2005 at 22:49.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

    "Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

  22. #22

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Well jag puts so many different twist to his post it is kind of confusing but if you read it 3 or 4 times you get it. I voted gawain i dont think he has ever went to petty insults or any thing like that. And backs his opinion up with facts.
    Formerly ceasar010

  23. #23
    Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    7,237

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    i like big john's argumentative style, actually
    but nobody holds a candle to pindar - so it doesnt matter who else is on the list.

    his arguements cut to the heart of a debate
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

    "If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  24. #24
    boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    OB
    Posts
    3,752

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    i like big john's argumentative style
    i try to be as argumentative as possible.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

  25. #25
    Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Victoria, British Columbia
    Posts
    4,211

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Had to go with Ichi. Probably partially because I usually agree with what he is saying, but also because quite often after I read one of his posts I think "You know, if I could express myself half as clearly reasonably as Ichi just did, I bet people would agree with my point of view much more often than they do now."

    While I respect Pindar as a debator and rarely (if ever) find occasion to rightly dispute any of the facts he presents, I find that he often drills down into the minutiae of an issue to such depth that the points he is making are often beyond my ability to relate back to the issue we were originally discussing. While this is not his fault, I think that if a debator does not present his ideas in such a way that the unwashed masses like me can understand his points, then no matter how right he may be, he won't be able to sway others to his point of view, which I believe to be one of the main purposes of discussion/debate.

    And Pindar, I hope you won't take offense at my comments. Actually, knowing you as I do, I'm pretty sure you won't take offense, but will take them for what they are worth: roughly $0.02.

    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

    - TSM

  26. #26
    Things Change Member JAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    11,058

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Don - I will quite happily explain it to you, in a PM if you want, or another thread if you want. It really is quite simple I don't think I should derail the thread though by talking about my own ideas of social and personal responsibility.

    Though I do understand that my logic patterns can sometimes be a bit off unless fully explained. Same in real life, sometimes I try and explain things to people and they just stare blankly at me, sometimes I have funny ideas / twists on ideas which seem to take people by surprise. *shrugs*


    I have to agree with Goof on Pindar, clearly a very clever bloke but that does not make someone the best debater. My vote goes to Tach, what a bloke, always had a brilliant angle on all the discussions we had here and it is a shame he doesn't post that regularly anymore. I always enjoyed his posts likewise with Idaho. But Tach gets my vote.

    Al - thank you by the way.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

    Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

  27. #27

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Bloody hell , two votes ....some people are easily pleased
    Come on , who is the other muppet (no offence BP) who wasted their vote?

  28. #28
    Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    7,588

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Yeah, Tribesman isn't the master debater (not that I am, I'm way too emotional), but I would put him in the running for King of the 1-line quips. Even when he's pissing me off, he makes me grin.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

    "Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

  29. #29
    Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The base of Yggdrasil
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goofball

    And Pindar, I hope you won't take offense at my comments. Actually, knowing you as I do, I'm pretty sure you won't take offense, but will take them for what they are worth: roughly $0.02.


    I'm planning on adding more nudity to my posts.

    "We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

    "The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

  30. #30
    boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    OB
    Posts
    3,752

    Default Re: Best debator of the backroom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pindar
    I'm planning on adding more nudity to my posts.
    not a bad idea at all.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO