Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBITUARY for an old friend

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Default OBITUARY for an old friend

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend by the name of Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge.)

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Default Re: OBITUARY for an old friend

Moved to the Backroom.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Man, BKS & Beirut are drawing a hard line these days on what's funny & what's political. Welcome back to the Backroom Kiwitt.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

I um'd and ah'd before posting in the "Frontroom". I suppose from now on, if in doubt post it in the "backroom"
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

A hard line? Maybe, but this is pretty far across it, to my mind.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

You should write him a eulogy while you're at it, kiwitt. I agree with every single line.

if in doubt post it in the "backroom"
    Words to live by.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

dude, what? common sense died ages ago.. with, like, chivalry and progress. celebrity deaths always come in threes, dontchaknow?
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement.
    Common sense died the day a woman with a nut-allergy on a commercial flight ate her packet of complimentary peanuts and nearly died and then successfully sued the airline because the peanuts did not have "may contain nuts on the packet or mention the word nuts once."

THEY WERE PEANUTS! ARGGHHHH!

Common sense died when a burglar who became trapped in his targets garage had to survive on dog-food for 2 weeks until the family came back from holiday was able to successfully sue the family for inflicting trauma on him.

DON'T BURGLE YOU IDIOT! I suppose coming back from holiday and finding an intruder in your home was a perfectly clement experience for the family.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Was common sense ever really alive?

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

From Wikipedia:

The term common sense (or as an adjective, commonsense) describes beliefs or propositions that seem, to most people, to be prudent and of sound judgment, without dependence upon esoteric knowledge. These beliefs and propositions are sometimes developed after having studied, or conducted, empirical research.

Among philosophers, defining common sense has proved vexing, leading many of them to shun the word altogether. Whatever it does mean, it does not mean homespun (and sometimes dubious) truths such as "Chicken soup is good for colds." Nonetheless, common sense is a perennial topic in epistemology and widely used or referred to, in one form or another, by a great many philosophers. Some related concepts include intuitions, pre-theoretic belief, ordinary language, the frame problem, foundational beliefs, endoxa, and axioms.

Commonsense ideas tend to relate to events within human experience, and thus commensurate with human scale. Thus there is no commonsense intuition of, for example, the behavior of the universe at subatomic distances or speeds approaching the speed of light.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

we conservative members of the org, who stand for common sense, deeply mourn the passing of an old and trusted advisor.........
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    we conservative members of the org, who stand for common sense, deeply mourn the passing of an old and trusted advisor.........
    Common sense does not belong to conservatives alone. Indeed I have met conservatives that have great difficulty in unlocking doors.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Fox
    Common sense does not belong to conservatives alone. Indeed I have met conservatives that have great difficulty in unlocking doors.
    ....DONT MAKE FUN OF ME LIKE THAT!!! Btw how do you know I had trouble unlocking the front door to my German place of residense?

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

The world used to be more conservative as it gets more liberal SURPRIZE its gone. The world needs to be more right wing.
    Formerly ceasar010

I mourn of the death of this old friend.But if he has finally passed away.We should see it more as an freedom from an long and painfull life.Maybe he has gone to better place now.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha
    I mourn of the death of this old friend.But if he has finally passed away.We should see it more as an freedom from an long and painfull life.Maybe he has gone to better place now.
    dude, whatever!! that guy sucked.. he was a do-nothing blowhard. everyone liked to name drop, "oh common sense this, common sense that.. blah blah blah..", but that guy sat on his ass the whole time while the majority of people never had a chance to meet him. good riddance i say.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

No he is in hell because as he lost his sensable powers... he went to some strange religion like scientology
    Formerly ceasar010

Big John and ceasar010 behave yourselves.This is funeral after all.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by ceasar010
    The world used to be more conservative as it gets more liberal SURPRIZE its gone. The world needs to be more right wing.

Do you think the world has more common sense on the right?

Hitler was an extreme guy on the right and look what he did.
    Medieval europe was on the right and look how peacful they were.
    Look at America when it was more right, slaves and no women rights.
    Look at the middle east they are on the right...

People are always saying the world is going in an evil direction the more liberal we get, but we have improved a LOT from the past.

I dont think that common sense has nothing to do with political wiews.I think its about are you an egomanical invidualist or can you look things from other peoples points as well.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

can you look things from other peoples points as well.
    Certainly we have gotten better at this.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    Certainly we have gotten better at this.
    But do we give a crap about their wiews?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Common sense died with the advent of PC.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

I unexpectedly agree with Gawain.
    I am not sure if it was dead before or PC killed it, but it sure peed on its grave. And we're talking gallons here. Oozles (is that even a word ? well, you get it anyway).
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Common sense died with the advent of PC.
    I personally think that it havnt died.And it wont.Its just something that isnt very fashionable in todays word.Novadays its all about ME.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    Oh, puh-leeeeze...

Conservatives lose any claim to adhering common sense when they make this argument:

"We are not discriminating against homosexuals. They are allowed to marry somebody of the opposite sex just like everybody else in the country. Too bad for them if they are not attracted to the sex we dictate they must wed themselves to, or not wed at all."

Oh, wait, I thought of an even better one:

"If we let gays marry, then fathers will want to marry their underage daughters right after they finish buggering the family cat, and we'll have to let them."

Oops, hang on, thought of another one:

"By bombing an Arab country that had no connection to 9/11 back to the stone-age and alienating an entire generation of Muslim youth so as to swell the ranks of extremist terrorist organizations, we are actually reducing the threat of terrorist attacks against ourselves."

And you have the pills to say "we conservative members of the org, who stand for common sense..."???

Whatever...

"What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

But do we give a crap about their wiews?
    much more than the old days, in the could old days of conservative heaven people were killed for their views...

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    much more than the old days, in the could old days of conservative heaven people were killed for their views...
    Yes,you are right.Also today people get killed because of their wiews.Im not talking about political wiews as i stated before.Im talking about responsibility and respect for your fellow human beings.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Yes,you are right.Also today people get killed because of their wiews.Im not talking about political wiews as i stated before.Im talking about responsibility and respect for your fellow human beings.

Me too. In in the old days anybody who was differnt from you was an enemy. Now we are begining to see past the differnces of color and religion, though we still arent perfect.

I know it is still like this is some parts of the world, but those are the places that are still in extreme conservatism like the middle east.

But i also see our societys breaking up from inside.Many people doesnt have any roots.They are alone in this world.More and more people are taking medicine because of depression.People ar burning out under 40 years old.Good things have happened,but not only good things.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast