Poll: Best map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best map!

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Best map!

Which map do you prefer. The risk style one from MTW and STW or the 3-d map from RTW?

I put this in here to get an impartial judges.

Default Re: Best map!

Can people please explain why they think RTW is better?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Although I am a MTW-addict,

I prefer the RTW style map. Much better made......

But the parchment type detail province thing it's the best(from MTW)
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Although I am a MTW-addict,

I prefer the RTW style map. Much better made......

But the parchment type detail province thing it's the best(from MTW)
    the rtw map is one of the biggest flaws of rtw. The ai armies wonder around not knowing where to go and all i end up with is siege battles. It is one of the reasons rtw got so dull.

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    The ai armies wonder around not knowing where to go and all i end up with is siege battles. It is one of the reasons rtw got so dull.
    Isn't this more the fault of the AI rather than the map?

I prefer the RTW map. It's more detailed and colourful, plus each unit moves a fixed distance (even if it is too small), which is more realistic than it is in MTW, where a unit can move one province, which can be a very large or a very small distance.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

RTW. The map adds some flexibility to where and how you will attack a province and even though it has less atmosphere than the STW or MTW maps it is better for gameplay, though I wish we could play multiplayer campaigns as the AI can't really take advantage of the map as well as a human player.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

MTW - just, because current level of AI in the game is not for RTW map ...

RTW.

I like ambushing + more details etc. etc.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

We have to look at it this way. Many people here have played 100's of hours of mtw, but get bored of rtw in a couple months. so what makes mtw so much more enjoyable.

AI-the ai is about the same in each game, but in rtw it has to deal with more than it can handel.

graphics-the graphics of rtw are much better

time period-i think both time periods are equally intesting.

units-rtw's units are much more diverse than mtw

map-RTW map is better, but AI cant handle it

That is they only thing that i can see that would make rtw worse.

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

RTW, definitely. On the whole I prefer MTW, but the map on RTW is much better. One of the main reasons is that it is much more open to using different strategies on the campaign map rather than just in the battle.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Okay people who like RTW map better, please explain what makes MTW better and more playable. In the end you will see it is almost soley the map.

One thing that is bad about MTW map is that moving provences by sea takes the same amount of time no matter the distance which is quite unrealistic. Someone with a developed navy can move from norway to egypt in one turn.

RTW map by far. It offers far more indepth strategies. Sure the AI is less adept then a human player, but that in my opinion has nothing whatsoever to do with RTW's campaign map itself. Although STW and MTW campaign maps were fun and good in their own way, I prefer RTW more so. What I personally find lacking in RTW has nothing to do with the campaign map. If certain things are added and improved upon (like AI, more and better diplomacy options - being able to coordinate attacks on cities, being able to tell factions to piss off your land, call armies from further away then armies that are directly near the friendly and/or enemy armies [in the influence sphere] as long as enough movement points are left for the army being called upon - like the AI can do [hope this last one makes sense]), then the campaign map's great gameplay potential will be justified. I think (hope) BI will provide just that bit more to make RTW have more appeal. Just like VI made MTW better (never played MI).
    Last edited by [DnC]; 07-20-2005 at 21:23.

The rtw map would be better if the AI could handel it, but it cant.

Well as I said I prefer the RTW map, that doesn't mean that I think the AI handles it better. I was talking only about the map, if you asked which game I preferred I would say MTW because I have spent 100's of hours playing it and it is far better for replay value.
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

But, the thing is what makes MTW better than RTW. THE MAP! In every other aspect the games are pretty much the same with rtw having a few advancements.

RTW map- When my empire is big i have to spend ours getting my men across my empire. That is annoying. With ships in mtw i can get my troops acrosse europe in a year. And that is realistic.

True, but that is not the map. That is the period of time that a turn represents.

The map is not all of what makes MTW better, MTW does not iirc have as many annoying bugs as RTW and the battle AI at least appears to be more competent, although that could just be my memory.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

The AI in rtw just seems to have to muxh do do. If rtw was made with the mtw map i believ it would be a much more enjoyable game.

Blog Entries

The whole problem with Map vs. AI in RTW is the fact that as mentioned before the AI can't handle it. Also, the style of map in RTW would be better suited for being played in Real Time rather than in Turns. This would make marching distances more realistic, and would keep the Player on his/her toes at all times. I think if a system like HoI2 were implemented in the game, it would more enjoyable in the long run. Of course I do very much enjoy the schematics and look of the RTW map more than the MTW/STW map. The reason why I picked the MTW/STW style map is because it is more suited for the engine, with turns its more like a board game rather than something realistic. of course, adjusting the speed a unit travels and how much time a year would take would be hard to adjust in proper.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

MTW-STW

I like the look of it as compared to Rome.
    Rome as a few nice touches like the Volcano etc, but a combination of the two would be nice, you could zoom down from the risk style into the Rome style would be my prefered option.
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I like the VI map, but not the vanilla MTW or STW maps.

No question! Rome map.
    It just gives so many tactical opertunities

For example u cant choose what hill or Forest u want to fight in the Shogun or Medieval maps, or is there something i wasnt told all those years
    Always Outumbered

Never Outgunned

Forever a Rebel

BrandywelBhoy

Any Talented sig makers, plz contact me

If you actuall compare the componets of RTW and MTW, RTW sounds like a much better game. But, when actually playing the game MTW is much more enjoyable and it seems to me that a major cause of this has to be the map.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

After analyzing,

I say that:

MTW is loads better on all chapters, except graphics.

Discussion ended.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I've come to the same conclusion, but it is hard to say something like that as fact. Some people like RTW better. It's really a matter of prefernece.

After analyzing,

I say that:

Discussion ended.
    I have to strongly disagree. MTW better than RTW? No way! MTW is way too shallow for me.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

After analyzing,

I say that:

Discussion ended.

I generally agree, although I have to admit I feel Rome is superior in at least a couple other ways. For one, I think Rome's music and soundtrack is generally better (Medieval's is good too, but Rome's is simply superb).

I also prefer Rome's combat system and interface over Medieval's. Overall, it's easier in Rome's battles to handle and maneuver the various units in your army. On the other hand, units in Rome move way too quickly across the battle maps, and the kill rates are ridiculous. Whereas battles in Medieval tend to drag on a bit, I've never fought a battle in Rome that lasted more than about 5 minutes. Somewhere in between the two games' combat systems, there's a happy medium.....
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I For one, I think Rome's music and soundtrack is generally better (Medieval's is good too, but Rome's is simply superb).

I LOVE the music from VI. The drumming beat is just so motivating when im about to raid some English.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

High five, Atlantis!

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

i prefer the RTW map from a graphical point of view

but i prefer to PLAY on the MTW maps

the AI in RTW is not good at handling the map,

RTW - i send a unit to run to a point and it over-runs the mark and turns it's back on the enemy to get to where it was supposed to stop??
    and i'm not talking about a few feet here, i'm talking about an entire tile over-run,
    i've seen them turn their backs on the enemy a hairsbreadth from the enemy troops - naturally they get charged in the rear,
    that is not good.

RTW - i line up my men the way i want em, then tell em to advance and they jumble up and get back into the positions they were in at the start of the battle,
    now thats plain bad.

RTW - i tell a unit to flank, and one of it's men gets caught/swipes an enemy and the entire unit stops?
    not clever.

RTW - i tell a missile unit to engage H2H and before it does it stops and goes through the missile animation (but does not fire)?
    absolutely awful.

thats why i prefer to PLAY MTW.

the RTW map and game is unfair to the AI and uplayable as a consequence, despite liking the look of the RTW map, i voted MTW.

Whats the point of a very groovy map if I dont get to SEE it because i dont play campaign anymore?

B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast