Thread: how do you...

Default how do you...

form an army of over 1000 units for the romans. Ive seen pictures in which one regiment have over 100 or so units. I heard the maximum number of units in the game is 10000. helllppp me

Default Re: how do you...

Unit size is optionable, there is "unit scale" option in option in-game menu.
    If you set it to "huge" ( for example ) your hastati unit will be 80 or 120 ( I don't remember ) instead of "normal" 40.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Welcome to the Org Meowlin (is that from Pokemon?)

The size of the units can go up to about 240 for peasants on huge... great for making cities grow faster by recruiting peasants in one and then disband them in another (grew Sparta very quickly using 2 other cities to 'feed' it).

10000 people would require multiple armies.

The most you could field is 240 x 20 = 4800 in a single army.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Piprökande Nåjd Member Bulawayo's Avatar

Default Sv: how do you...

Sorry for being a geek, but that should be 4801 with the captain included

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    The size of the units can go up to about 240 for peasants on huge... great for making cities grow faster by recruiting peasants in one and then disband them in another (grew Sparta very quickly using 2 other cities to 'feed' it).
    What a great idea... why have I not thought of this before?
    As you probably can tell, I do not play as often as I want.
    I have reached 210 BC in my first campaign as Julii since i got the game (around Christmas).
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    Unit size is optionable, there is "unit scale" option in option in-game menu.
    If you set it to "huge" ( for example ) your hastati unit will be 80 or 120 ( I don't remember ) instead of "normal" 40.
    Hastati have 160 with huge units on. The difference is always a factor of 2.
    Small units - 20 troops in one Hastati unit
    Medium units - 20*2 = 40 troops in one Hastati unit
    Large units - 40*2 = 80 troops in one Hastati unit
    Huge units - 80*2 = 160 troops in one Hastati unit

I like to put it on large size even though I could use huge if I wanted. Large just seems better to me. I don't know whether it's more realistic or not but it seems like the troops do more in small groups and battles take less time. With 160 units half or more of them are just waiting for other troops to fall to get to the front line. They aren't really helping the fighting and the enemy units are bigger too so it takes even longer.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Who said size doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by Krauser
    Hastati have 160 with huge units on. The difference is always a factor of 2.
    Small units - 20 troops in one Hastati unit
    Medium units - 20*2 = 40 troops in one Hastati unit
    Large units - 40*2 = 80 troops in one Hastati unit
    Huge units - 80*2 = 160 troops in one Hastati unit

I like to put it on large size even though I could use huge if I wanted. Large just seems better to me. I don't know whether it's more realistic or not but it seems like the troops do more in small groups and battles take less time. With 160 units half or more of them are just waiting for other troops to fall to get to the front line. They aren't really helping the fighting and the enemy units are bigger too so it takes even longer.
    I didn't play for a while - so it was easy to forget the numbers;
    As for me I like to play with huge unit scale, becase IMHO it makes the game more challenging ( because of harder manuvering ( sp? )).

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krauser
    I use large size units too. For me it seems more realistic, as each unit of 80 men is now closer to the size of a Roman century.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Welcome to the Org Meowlin (is that from Pokemon?)

10000 people would require multiple armies.

The most you could field is 240 x 20 = 4800 in a single army.
    Meowlin is not from Pokemon. Meowth, Mewtwo and Mew are from Pokemon.(I know all this stuff because I was a crazy collector, I have about 700 trading cards)

Actually it could be 241x20 = 4820, if you have Preatorian Cohorts or other whch have abnormal unit size on normal( instead of 80, the Preatorians have 81)

And plus the captain, 4821.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Piprökande Nåjd Member Bulawayo's Avatar

Default Sv: how do you...

Damn, I didn't think of that...

Default Re: Sv: how do you...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulawayo
    Sorry for being a geek, but that should be 4801 with the captain included
    Sorry to be a bigger geek but Levy Pikemen have 241 men on huge settings. They are the largest unit on the game.

241 x 20 (+1 captain) = 4821

On MP you can have 4 v 4 games (8 players).

So max number of men in a battle would be 4821 x 8 = 38568.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    As for me I like to play with huge unit scale, becase IMHO it makes the game more challenging ( because of harder manuvering ( sp? )).
    That`s (among other things) exactly why I play with large and not huge

I find it more annoying than challenging.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I tried huge, but the large setting seems to work best for me. Unit pathfinding through city streets isn't great to begin with, and it was more difficult for me to control the huge unit size in cities. With open field battles, I do like the impressive size of the armies at the huge setting. But they look more like ants when I keep the camera at a distance where I can manage all the action. I like seeing things at a little bit closer scale.

But the main thing was the way it affected recruiting. I had to micromanage population flow a lot more (moving peasants from other towns, enslaving cities), to keep enough population in my main military/recruiting cities for building armies. And I was concerned that the AI would have the same problem, leading to less challenging armies to face.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant