Thread: SPQR Mod

Default SPQR Mod

Well I was recently talked into playing this mod after months of no RTW do to general disapointment. To me, its everything the original game was supposed to be in terms of combat and campaign strategy.

Does anyone else play it.. im having a very difficult time making progress on the campaign map, which is a good thing.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Re: SPQR Mod

I played it a little, but then i decided to give Darth mod a try. SPQR just seemed to much like vanilla to me.

SPQR is real good. Very Polish. Ed.
    More difikelt then vanilla = good
    Playing it for weeks earlier.

Darth mod very intresting. Formation etc.

I use Vlad mod, has issues, but nice change. Install Darth mod on top. not work.
    Reinstall Vlad mod on top. Now work. every unit unlocalised placment text
    Don't no if it because I am Brotish (irony), but now very challeng.
    I use many years to get my island from rebels, then send pre-emptive task force agains lands where wise woman say invasion come in few hundred years (angled saxons) Take weakly defended town, Bordesholm, Germans send big stacks. My 500 guys fall defending bridge against 2800 germ-men. woo-hoo! take half om them down! Including general"
    Tonight we see, maybe they retake town. Maybe find it razed and abandoned....
    At least I gave Gaul allies time to reorganizing.

yes, spqr is a great mod
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

There was great interest in using SPQR mod in multiplayer, but version 2 didn't work in MP for some reason that no one could figure out. Since then Chiv mod and Mordred's mod offer much improved gameplay over vanilla in MP.

I played part of a Julii campaign using SPQR v2.0, and modded out all the city walls except for the 8 largest cities. It was interesting due to the huge battles it generated and they were pretty challenging, but SPQR mod completely negates the cav charge due to the huge defensive values given to all units. This definitely hurts the AI because it's programmed to make lots of charges which are ineffective.

I've since switched to Mordred's mod which is specifically designed to get the best gameplay in multiplayer without making drastic changes to the units. All of its files install to a mods folder and the modded game is started with its own shortcut. The vanilla game is not affected, and can still be run with the normal shortcut. Hopefully, this will allow players to make an easy transition from vanilla to Mordred's mod. This mod achieves longer battles by only slightly increasing the defend values (+1) but increasing morale by +4. It also gives all non-spears 0.75 lethality which enhances the effectiveness of spears. This means cavalry retains it's charge effectiveness, but spears kill cav more easily thus providing a stronger rock, paper, scissors which make the tactics more interesting. The movement speed is set at 0.9, and this combines well with the longer fighting time of units which was carefully selected to allow enough time for flanking tactics not only with cav but with infantry as well. This all occurs in an environment where charge is still effective and highly effective when combined with flanking, so I think it offers better tactical gameplay than SPQR.

Now what's surprising about Mordred's mod is how well it plays in SP. He made some changes to the starting conditions of some factions in the campaign, but the intersting thing I find is that this mod suites the battlefield AI better. This could be because the mod doesn't make drastic changes. The timing of the AI's flanking now suits the frontal fighting that it initiates, and its charges are still effective. You have more time to maneuver your units, but the battles are more difficult because the AI is relentless about looking for flank attacks, good units matchups and shooting your valuable units. Shooting is another area where SPQR was deficient in gamplay because archers were completely ineffective. against anything with a shield.

I can post a link to Mordred's mod if you are interested in trying it. It's not a large download.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 07-20-2005 at 17:28.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

*sigh*

WHERE DO I GET THIS SPQR MOD FROM?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahrabals apprentice
    *sigh*

WHERE DO I GET THIS SPQR MOD FROM?
    You can find version 3.0 here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23634

I assume version 3.0 is the latest version?

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    I can post a link to Mordred's mod if you are interested in trying it. It's not a large download.
    Hey Puzz - I'm interested!

Yes 3.0 is the current release but I am working on 4.0 which will make the game even more of a challenge as well as some new Eye candy.

As for Cavalry, I think SPQR handles it fine, BUt again for MP most play Large settings and SPQR is designed for Huge.

On battle length SPQR has the Longest battles of any mod. How do I know this well I designed it and worked on EB giving them longer battles using the common method which is DIFFERENT than the method I used with SPQR. I like SPQRs battles the best for me, but then again that is WHY I made the mod, fo myself. I decided to share with others who like to play the same way.

Sorry Puzzle3d the MP thing didnt work out, I really did try hard. :-) BUt as you know its a different style of play from SP. BI might change things who knows.

I do think most of the MP problems with SPQR was related to someone on some end having a corrupted install, because I can still play MP on a LAN with NO problems. So who knows? I do know that some even have problems with Vanilla MP.
    LT_1956 Creator of SPQR: Total War

SPQR:TW Mod forums

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

I'm playing it. It's more challenge than vanilla that's for sure. The draw is different though. SPQR is for those who love battles more than anything. The city building and other diplomatic tricks like bribing and even spying has been reduced. It's all about military might. In vanilla, I only need to trap and crush a faction's main army, then their entire nation is ripe for the taking. In SPQR, they'd get an entire stack in just 1-2 turns. It's definitely a good challenge since the AI is pretty retarded about protecting their borders.

@ Irishman3
    thank you for helping me find it

@ lt1956
    The mod is awesome
    I had a brief look at the changes for 4.0, no diplomats? no peace? Really deserves the name Total War

No diplomats. Now that is a good idea.
    Last edited by IceTorque; 07-22-2005 at 12:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie
    Hey Puzz - I'm interested!
    Mordred's Community Mod

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mahrabals apprentice
    @ Irishman3
    thank you for helping me find it

@ lt1956
    The mod is awesome
    I had a brief look at the changes for 4.0, no diplomats? no peace? Really deserves the name Total War
    No worries Mahrabals, and sorry I didn't reply about the version thing. I'm just signed up on too many different boards for too many different games to track them all, heh (*holds fore finger and thumb in the shape of an L on his forehead ).

But you got an answer from 'the man' himself , so all is good. It really is a great mod, changes the campaign and battle strategy to a whole different ball game if you know what I mean. I'm really looking forward to 4.0 Lt *hint, hint*

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Btw lt, thanks for finally beefing up cavalry in 3.0. I'm very happy with it now as they can actually fight and not die anytime an infantry unit decided to fight them. They're not the uber steamrollers like in vanilla, but they don't drop like flies anymore.

hi guys, i just want to know if it can be installed over a total realism mod 5.4.1 directly or i need a new installation of rtw + 1.2 ?

I have been playing my first long campeign since getting the mod and would like to make a couple of comments

The Brutii have 3 citites whereas the scipii and julii have 4 each, maybe give the scipii 2 citties on sicily (the 1 west of messena?) and give the brutti the city in the toe if italy.

The Greeks have 4 temples, carthage has 3 or 4, everyone has multiple temples except Romans, I feel that perhaps it might be good to give the same 3 or 4 temple options to all the roman factions, somthing like Jupiter/Saturn, Mercury and Neptune? Just to give some variety (and the romans some decent fleets later in the game)

In my game I am playing as the greek cities, in the first few turns a brutii full stack attacked apollonia and i beat them off, next turn a 3/4 stack attacks and i beat them off aswell, then a little later a 1/4 stack turned up and was promptly battered to death. In sicily I defeated a full(ish) scipii stack and took messena. Then i launched an invasion of southern italy with my sicily and applonia armies. I took every brutii city and scipii city without 1 major battle on the mainland. 1 city can build 8 units a turn, that makes 1 decent field army per city every 2 turns, and i munched my way through 6 cities without facing 1 field army! They just sat back with small garrisons and let me take their cities without much resistance whereas I should have been fighting pitched battles every turn. I have seen people talking on these forums about changing files to change the way factions build their armmies and cities (caesar, mao, genghis khan, napoleon etc). Perhaps this needs tweaking because apart for a hectic first few turns the roman are not opposing my at all. On sicily however, carthage is pumping out troops no stop abd shipping more over from africa, which i LOVE!
    Huge full stack battles every turn or 2! I am glad I went for temples of Nike in Syracuse and Messena! That is what I wanted from SPQR!

Apart for those few quibbels SPQR is amazingly fun to play!
    I cannot wait till 4.0 is available and there are no peskie diplomats arround to bribe my greedy governors, and do annoying thinks like try to stop the killing
    Last edited by Mahrabals apprentice; 07-30-2005 at 12:18.

It is meant to be played as the Romans, not against them

whats it about anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Drakan
    It is meant to be played as the Romans, not against them
    But most of the factions are playable, so Romans should still be able to put up a fight and not just lie down and die. Plus if you do play as Roman you would want a challenge during the civil war wouldn't you, not fighting against pseudo-pasifists. That being said, the Senate has been putting up a hell of a struggle
    If I knew how do mod the game to make the other factions as aggressive I would but I don't know what to change or how to change it to my liking, so I am just bringing up the point in here so maybe It1956 may read it, and maybe agree that they need beefing up.
    Anyways, CArthage is giving me the challenges the Brutii failed to produce, I just LUUUURVE all the big battles goin on
    Last edited by Mahrabals apprentice; 08-01-2005 at 18:07.