Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecca?

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecca?

real smart move.....i can actually hear the AQ volunteer lines growing from were i´m sitting........to say that you will respond to a possible attack from a small radical group with an attack on an entire religion strikes me as a bit nuts...is it just me?

i don´t think he is serious..(let me correct...i hope to god he isn´t serious), but to even say such a thing is shows imense stupidity and can cause serious damage...how does a moron like this get elected?

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A Colorado congressman told a radio show host that the U.S. could "take out" Islamic holy sites if Muslim fundamentalist terrorists attacked the country with nuclear weapons.

Rep. Tom Tancredo made his remarks Friday on WFLA-AM in Orlando, Florida. His spokesman stressed he was only speaking hypothetically.

Talk show host Pat Campbell asked the Littleton Republican how the country should respond if terrorists struck several U.S. cities with nuclear weapons.

"Well, what if you said something like -- if this happens in the United States, and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you know, you could take out their holy sites," Tancredo answered.

"You're talking about bombing Mecca," Campbell said.

"Yeah," Tancredo responded.

The congressman later said he was "just throwing out some ideas" and that an "ultimate threat" might have to be met with an "ultimate response."

Spokesman Will Adams said Sunday the four-term congressman doesn't support threatening holy Islamic sites but that Tancredo was grappling with the hypothetical situation of a terrorist strike deadlier than the September 11, 2001, attacks.

"We have an enemy with no uniform, no state, who looks like you and me and only emerges right before an attack. How do we go after someone like that?" Adams said.

"What is near and dear to them? They're willing to sacrifice everything in this world for the next one. What is the pressure point that would deter them from their murderous impulses?" he said.

Tancredo is known in the House for his tough stand on immigration.

Mohammad Noorzai, coordinator of the Colorado Muslim Council and a native of Afghanistan, said Tancredo's remarks were radical and unrepresentative but that people in Tancredo's position need to watch their words when it comes to sacred religious sites and texts.
    link to story on CNN

Muslim response story also from CNN
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Default Re: Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecca?

So it really is a Crusade (Holy War) now then?
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Default Re: Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecca?

Probably an attention whore.

Especially during summer these kind of fools (and every Parliament has a couple of those) seem to feel the obligation to come up with some really stupid idea or comment just to remind the public that tehy exist.

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

It almost as good as they idea of asking the terrorist to please blow everything they possibly can.

idiot whacko...hey, there are christian extremists, let's bomb Jerusalem...

Seriously though, I see no point in his comments, just ignore them and restrain the man from such ludicrous ideas in future

Bombing Mecca wouldn't do anything good. Neither does it have any strategic value.

The best weapon against religious fanatism is media. Make sure every little muslim get real news and that daily. Cost less than arms as well.....

Al-Qaeda must love this. They can tell their followers ”this is who we are fighting, and this is why
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Yes, but, didn't the interviewer have some responsibility here? What sort of question is "how the country should respond if terrorists struck several U.S. cities with nuclear weapons." That is a pretty extreme and irresponsible scenario.

I mean, if you asked me in the pub "how should Britain respond if terrorists struck several British cities with nuclear weapons" my answer wouild be something like "find out which country gave them the bombs and nuke seven shades of **** out of it so that no bastard EVER does the same thing again" Ok, that's not quite Mecca, and a congressman on the radio needs to exercise more care than me in the pub, but I can basically see where he was coming from.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

I doubt America would nuke anyone if they were nuked by terrorists. I suspect they would just annex Arabia and anyone else even remotely related to them.

That option isn't open to Britain or France though. I doubt whoever gave them any terrorists the nukes to blow up Paris or London would still be there the next morning.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Yes, but, didn't the interviewer have some responsibility here? What sort of question is "how the country should respond if terrorists struck several U.S. cities with nuclear weapons." That is a pretty extreme and irresponsible scenario.
    He is a Congressman - surely he is meant to have some tact and political skill. What a total donut.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Congressmen are not senators. They do not represent entire states, but small districts. There are 430+ of them, and more than a few are a little nutty as a result of block voting and apathy in this country.(no real competition.)

I do think that this would be an interesting policy to persue in an alternate universe.

If AQ really love Islam as much as they say, would they risk Mecca if GWB said he would really nuke the place?

Of course in reality its completely off the wall, but at least the guy is thinking out of the box.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Default Re: Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecc

Quote Originally Posted by Dâriûsh
    Al-Qaeda must love this. They can tell their followers ”this is who we are fighting, and this is why

Spot on. And it isnt the only thing the US did to make Al Qaeda into what it is today...No need to look at Congressment, look at the administration. Once day Al Qaeda will give Dubya a medal for promoting their cause and making the world famous...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    I doubt America would nuke anyone if they were nuked by terrorists.
    If it was from a fairly distributed terrorist group with no solid connection to a govt, then no...not after the first one at least. However, that is somewhat unlikely as a scenario. A nuke is not something a terrorist group is likely to get their hands on and be able to successfully detonate without the backing of a nuclear nation. So if it was tied directly to a specific nation, that nation would get nuked rather soon, and not in any small way. After all, you have to make them unable to strike again, and make an example of them at the same time.

A nuke attack would make it a survival issue for the U.S. At that point it becomes, "Do we stand here and let them kill us piecemeal, or do we kill ALL of those who back/support this attack?" You don't want to put a nuclear superpower into a corner like that.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecc

I just hope that, if, may God forbid, it came to that, we'd have a president who'd have the guts to turn the entire country into glass, and not some sissy one who wouldn't do anything but have town meetings and talk about the need for understanding.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Turn which entire country into glass?
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    Turn which entire country into glass?
    Ours apparently. Can't see how that's gutsy though.

Blog Entries

Obviously, the country that attacked us.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecc

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit

Crazed Rabbit

we were talking about a terrorist attack......so in the majority of ocasions there is no country to "turn into a parking lot" so to speak.....
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Or possibly some other country that you don't like , that would make an easy target and you could sell the idea to the public about

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecc

Now let's pray that Blair isn't gutsy enough to turn the entire country where the London terrorists came from into glass. Or even Leeds.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Blog Entries

As some people apparently cannot get over how clever they are for taking my quote out of context, I feel it is necessary to show what I was originally responding to:

Quote Originally Posted by Red Harvest
    If it was from a fairly distributed terrorist group with no solid connection to a govt, then no...not after the first one at least. However, that is somewhat unlikely as a scenario. A nuke is not something a terrorist group is likely to get their hands on and be able to successfully detonate without the backing of a nuclear nation. So if it was tied directly to a specific nation, that nation would get nuked rather soon, and not in any small way. After all, you have to make them unable to strike again, and make an example of them at the same time.

A nuke attack would make it a survival issue for the U.S. At that point it becomes, "Do we stand here and let them kill us piecemeal, or do we kill ALL of those who back/support this attack?" You don't want to put a nuclear superpower into a corner like that.
    Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Congressman "throws out idea" for possible nuclear retaliation..why not bomb mecca?

We're just taking the piss

It's more aimed at people like that gun-toting 'let's nuke Mecca' congressmember.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Blog Entries

Yes, but it gets old after a while.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Yes, but it gets old after a while.

Crazed Rabbit
    So does macho sounding bullsh*t spouted of the top of people's heads.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

So does macho sounding bullsh*t spouted of the top of people's heads.
    But Idaho , isn't your statement macho sounding bull spouted of the top of your head ?
    Or did you put lots of thought into it and really mean it from the depths of your heart ?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Nuke the country of the nuker.

Therefore:

Iff Timothy McVeigh had used a nuke you would nuke the country he came from.

Or if the British Terrorists had used Nukes on London, the response from the UK government would be a nuclear strike on the UK. Now that would be taking the stiff upper lip to a whole new level.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

If it was from a fairly distributed terrorist group with no solid connection to a govt, then no...not after the first one at least. However, that is somewhat unlikely as a scenario. A nuke is not something a terrorist group is likely to get their hands on and be able to successfully detonate without the backing of a nuclear nation.
    Actually there was a study a few years back where reaserchers built what experts believe would be an operable nuclear weapon using parts easily obtained, the only missing part was uranium. This is not a multi megaton weapon, but a weapon maybe half the size of the Hirosmima and Nagasaki bombs, but that is enough to do serious damage.
    Then there are dirty bombs, chemical weapons, and bio weapons, these are considered the same for retalitory purposes and those weapons can be gotten by terrorists without nation state support.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

IMHO we have been lead astray by the slightly random nature of the congressman's target.

IF no nation could be firmly linked to the terrorist nuke, then obviously nuclear relatiation is out of the question. If the nuke comes with "a gift from pakistan" stenciled on the side then IMHO nuclear retaliation is perfectly sensible (although I admit I personally wouldn't have the, whatever you call it, to order the deaths of 100,000s of people even if I do think in the long run it would save lives. If I was PM and they ever opened the box with the secret nuclear orders in it all they would find would be a stale cheese sandwich and an old copy of the Beano.)
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I'm just curious what Louis would do if he was Emperor of France & they nuked Paris, or if Idaho was made King of England, pre-magna carta limitations and the terrorists nuked London? What's more, let's say your intelligence chief came to you and said "One can never be 100% certain about these things, but we are as sure as we can be that the terrorists received the bomb, the training, and safe passage from the Iranian Intelligence Service". Make some glib jokes at your citizens that want a retaliation, as you have here?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob
    Actually there was a study a few years back where reaserchers built what experts believe would be an operable nuclear weapon using parts easily obtained, the only missing part was uranium. This is not a multi megaton weapon, but a weapon maybe half the size of the Hirosmima and Nagasaki bombs, but that is enough to do serious damage.
    Then there are dirty bombs, chemical weapons, and bio weapons, these are considered the same for retalitory purposes and those weapons can be gotten by terrorists without nation state support.
    Isn't that a bit like saying we had everything we needed to make a campfire, except the wood? The control of the Uranium is how the international community attempts to restrict the access to the nuclear bomb. The general premise is actually rather simple. Take two piles of Uranium, each at less slightly less than critical mass, then at the key moment, mix them so they are now well beyond critical mass. Voila. The details aren't even all that hard to work out, and I'm not sure if this is an urban myth (i've never looked) but I've heard there's working blueprints available on the web. The big thing is getting yourself some fissable Uranium.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast