Thread: "Media Shield" for journalists

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default "Media Shield" for journalists

There is a proposed law that would protect journalists from prosecution if they don't reveal their sources.

For my part, I think this is a terrible idea. Journalists are free to report and say what they want- same as everyone else. But, they are not members of some special elite class that entitles them to special priviledges- they deserve no more rights than any other American. If they want to stand by their principles and protect a source, fine- but recognize that in certain situations it could land you in jail.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: "Media Shield" for journalists

What if I hear some secret from a person whom I don't wish to name when its part of a criminal investigation? Do I get sent to jail because Im not a member of the journalist 'caste'?

When a person is subpeoned in a criminal investigation, you are compelled to testify unless doing so would incriminate yourself. Reporters, like myself, are free to investigate and talk to whoever they want and then print whatever they want (excepting libel). But, it doesn't give me- nor should it them- blanket immunity to refuse to testify in criminal proceedings.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    There's a big difference between you and a reporter.
    I disagree- we're both American citizens, nothing more, nothing less. Especially now more than ever the differences are very few- virtually anyone can open a website or a blog and begin posting news or opinion peices. Do these priveledges only extend to an elite few who work for organizations like the NYT? If not, couldn't anyone in a similar situation claim the same priveledge? If they couldnt, why not?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Heck wht didnt the Mafia think of this. The could open their own newspaper and all claim imunity if questioned.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

If journalists can't protect their cources, where is the freedom of the press? If a government can bully journalists and their named sources, can you not see how they can be heavily influenced. Don't you guys want a free press? It is already nastily influenced over there as it is. Blimey.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The point is that journalists are not an elite class who should be exempt from the laws that affect all Americans.
    Namely:
    When a person is subpeoned in a criminal investigation, you are compelled to testify unless doing so would incriminate yourself.
    Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

then your only real beef is that you want members of alternative media to be protected too. Frankly, I don't see this being about 'elite' members of the press at all, but about protecting government and corporate whistleblowers.

then your only real beef is that you want members of alternative media to be protected too. Frankly, I don't see this being about 'elite' members of the press at all, but about protecting government and corporate whistleblowers.
    Whistle blowing is not a crime as far as I know. They could only be forced to testify where a crime has been commited.

How about the 5th Amendment ? Isn't that where you can refuse to answer a question since you might incriminate yourself ? Wouldn't that protect them ?

How about the 5th Amendment ? Isn't that where you can refuse to answer a question since you might incriminate yourself ? Wouldn't that protect them ?
    That protects everyone.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    Virtually anyone can open a website or a blog and begin posting news or opinion peices. Do these priveledges only extend to an elite few who work for organizations like the NYT?
    Good point. If a reporter needs to protect a source, he should be willing to go to jail for it. If nothing else, that should cut down on how often a reporter is willing to accept off the record and/or "background" information.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

It might be better to be cautious about such a change.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I know, but the definition of journalist is so amorphous these days. How does one legally distinguish the blogger from the correspondant? The press is much more fractured and fragmented than it ever was in the past. A shield law would have to be very carefully written if it were to avoid rampant abuse.

Besides, everybody loves to beat up on the press. We should jump on that bandwagon, pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurmania
    If a reporter needs to protect a source, he should be willing to go to jail for it.
    That's basically what I'm saying. Now if we want to talk about reforming the grand jury system- that's a different matter. But, as it stands, refusing to identify a source related to a criminal investigation is contempt at best or even obstruction. If they want to stand by their principles and protect their source- great, but be prepared for the consequences.

Yes, but like I said- it only applies if you would incriminate yourself by testifying. You can't use it to keep from incriminating someone else.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 07-21-2005 at 07:40.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    That protects everyone.
    So why didn't the journalist use that ??

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

The point is that journalists are not an elite class who should be exempt from the laws that affect all Americans.
    I'm curious why you think that? There are some situatuions, recognised in law, when the public interest in allowing a free communication means that the person who receives the communication should be allowed (even required) to keep the source/content of the communication secret. Lawyer-client priviledge is an obvious one, the confessional another, communications between man and wife used to have protection too but I'm nopt sure if that is still so.

Now, why should a journalist not have the same protection? There is certainly just as strong an interest in a free press as there is in people being able to get legal advice. Only those with something to hide have anything to fear from a journalist being able to protect a source.

In fact (and its a shame Adrian II isn't around to hear me say it) I would say that to protect a free society its MORE important that journalists should have this protection than that lawyers should.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag