Thread: !KABOOM!

The Thunderbombers are here! If you would like to join us, well, just post here and speak your mind! You will be under the following obligations as long as you choose to associate with this group--

(1) The highest standard of honorable conduct both on and off the battlefield.

(2) Have fun!

So, now that we have skimmed off all of you compulsive liars, sociopaths and just plain robotic unfun people, we are ready to begin! The following are the TBomber Tenets--

(1) To further the creation of interesting STW Mods, whether through authorship or any of the other essential activities involved in the process.

(2) To participate in a fun and relaxed environment.

(3) To use as great a variety of maps as possible when playing multiplayer games.

So, there you have it! Now that you have been briefed, feel free to participate!

We will be hosted here in this thread at the Dojo for the time being, but in the future, if the members desire it, they can move on to a site of their own.

!KABOOM!

Matt

KABOOM, indeed!

I'm not sure what I can really do mod-wise, as I happen to like "stupid editing tricks" mods (like my torpedo bomber mods for Homeworld ) rather than solid gameplay fixes (like my various fighter fuel fixes, also for Homeworld), and I don't see much potential for stupid Shogun tricks. Still, I'd be glad to help TEST mods. You've already sent me some of yours, Khan. I got them, but I haven't had a chance to fully read your e-mail because we had a power outage when I was in the middle of doing that (stupid cheap BU).

As for maps, I can dig that. I love playing tons of maps. Actually, I think all three (four?) of my "comeback" games have been played on non-standard maps. Hooray!

And "Fun and Relaxed" is my middle name. Baka Funandrelaxed Gaijin.

------------------
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Like my new TB sig?

------------------

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

[This message has been edited by BakaGaijin (edited 04-03-2002).]

erm...!KABOOM!

the thunderbombers are here, now I have one question? is Krasts head soup on the menu?
    Have you seen the fnords?

I guess not

hmm..this is a rather dissapointing uptake - come on people, show us what you've got!

Well, you and Baka have had my latest moddings for a while now, I was sort of waiting to hear from you on that. Unless you had some other direction to propose.

Matt

Alright, one more thing-- everyone post time zone, preferred playing times and ICQ#. Let's get this show on the road!

I'll start.

Central US.
    After 8 on weekday evenings, depending.
    Variable times on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    GhenghisKhan7 [AIM screenname]

Alright!

Matt

------------------
    !KABOOM! -- The Thunderbomber Creed

aah - sorry Matt, I was compiling a reply along with an update on my current stats but my computer got some damn virus, 'Klez'.

Thats one heck of a virus by the way, I didn't think they made them like that any more...

but about the stats, I am currently using them and I like what I see - to my mind casualties and battle performance is far more in line with my ideas...

I am currently working on a set of stats with slightly more pronounced alterations as far as unit size goes...I hope you don't mind if I incorporate a good few of your Ideas into them and give them my own twist, I think you may enjoy my take on the subject.

------------------
    "Situation excellente. J'attaque!"

Sorry, I've been distracted by the recent arrival of Ghost Recon: Desert Siege. Mmm... tacsim. I'll get around to playing with your stats tonight. We'll see how well the AI handles itself.

As for playing time, etc... Weekdays, I'm pretty much available for any time after 7pm EST (or is it EDT? stupid Daylight Time). Weekends, any time after around 3-4pm, because it takes me that long to get up. Some exceptions: Fridays from 9pm-10pm are reserved for Dark Angel. Sunday evenings are generally reserved for Physics homework. May as well assume that Monday evening is reserved for Calc homework, too. Also, I will be unavailable this Monday evening, as well as the whole of this upcoming weekend -- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights -- for my play, Hidden in This Picture and Diana Krall's concert. Also, I'm about a month away from finals, so certain other things might come up along the way.

ICQ is 13859389, but I'm never on. AIM screenname is DTsR Vor, but I'm almost never on. The best place to find me is generally IRC, where I hang out in #bteg on irc.gamesnet.net. I also check my e-mail at least once a day, usually more: furtim@bu.edu.

It's too bad we don't have more takers, but three people is at least a very manageable size.

Perhaps I'll sit down and write my own stats one night, but they'll be very arbitrary and only very loosely historically-oriented. Sorry, Matt.

------------------

well, you both have my version 0.2 stats - maybe we could post our thoughts here, it might generate some interest...

Hmm. Did you mail those out last night? I don't think I have them.

I did spend a little bit of time (but only a little, I needed to get up "early" this morning to register for classes) with Khan's mod last night. My extremely initial impression is that I like it. It feels good. I was a little worried about the morale, since 7 points is a pretty big drop, but it wasn't as much trouble as I had expected. It did cause problems for the AI, though. Then again, it was set to "random units" for the AI and they got about 6 high-honour units, where I took 16 low-honour ones. I'll need to look at the mod again with a more honest 16v16, probably even with identical armies on each side. It does feel good, though. Melee definitely goes slower, as does gun attrition (good), and you definitely need to support your Yari troops or they'll run. The AI seemed to like the idea of charging single units at me head-on, but they broke just as soon as they got close to any of my guys. I used some HC and Nodachi in a flanking maneuver, though, and they both stayed pretty steady. Just like it should be.

I also tried making my own little mod. Totally arbitrary with the changes, but the general idea being roughly the same as Khan's mod, to emphasize spears, lower morale by a little to emphasize formations, slow down melee (but, in my mod, not movement), decrease the overwhelming effectiveness of projectiles, but keep everything balanced. I haven't tested anything, so I don't want to start handing it out yet, but here's a list I made of the changes I've implemented so far.

Quote Max Turn Speed for all units but Kensai reduced to 6 from 8
    Space Between Neighbours X and Y for non-protectile infantry cut in half
    Samurai Archers and Yari Samurai made "Routable"
    Nodachi, Monk, Cav, and Projectile unit sizes cut in half
    Charge values for non-projectile above +1 to compensate
    All Defence values +2[/QUOTE]

The Max Turn Speed thing was something I wanted to try to give flanking maneuvers a better chance and force the player in a defensive posture to pay more attention to his flanks instead of assuming that he can just turn his guys around quick enough to counter the threat. I may raise that value back to 8 for the shock troops, but Yari and Nagi will probably stay slow-turning if I like it. In my mod, I guess you could equate Naginata to the generic "Samurai", because I made the Yari Samurai "routable". In that respect, you could say I took Khan's lead in judging the YA as poorly-trained peasant leavies and the YS as "professional" Ashigaru. I'm not sure how that's gonna pan out, but that's what experimentation is for, right? I also made Archers "routable", but they probably won't stay that way. It's possible that I may increase the melee strength of the Archers, make them "unroutable", and decrease the strength of their arrows a tad (or increase everyone's armour by 1) and have them become the generic Samurai instead of the Nagis. We'll see, though. As for the spacing change... that was pure experimentation. I hadn't really seen what difference, if any, that made before, so I just wanted to check it out. I figure projectile units and cav would need bigger spacing than the generic foot guys, though. I may even increase the spacing for cav units. Eh, there it is.

------------------

yeah, that is a pretty radical set of stats...

The best changes in my stats is with the cavalry...I am even beginning to like the way they are implemented.