Thread: Capital Mode would be Cool

Default Capital Mode would be Cool

Some one else started this idea and I came up with this wish for the next game. As in WWII, even Germany couldn't survive without its Capital. I personally think adding capitals to each nation would improve gameplay dramatically by making it an instant loss with losing it. AND, better yet, YOU HAVE TO STORM IT TO TAKE IT OVER.

First, it gives you a goal. For instance, Italy goes on a rampage and owns everyone and everything and you are smack down with 1/3 of whats theirs, you make a huge dash for the Capital.

Second, it makes Fortress Storms freaking sweet. I have never had a Fortress fight before EVER and I would love to do it.

Third, its reality - Even the mighty Roman Empire (I KNOW THEY DIDN"T LOSE ROME but they almost did with Hannabel.) would have errupted in chaos if Rome fell and the main politicians/emperer were executed.

and Forth, it would set up major battles more often than just once or twice a champaign. Yeah, I know, the Golden Horde/Borg factor adds one big battle, whopptie do.

I just think its a great idea. I mean, you take over Washington DC and the US isn't going to just be OKAY with it and move on, we would struggle like hell for a while.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Hobbilars' whisperer... Member Advo-san's Avatar

Default Re: Capital Mode would be Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    I personally think adding capitals to each nation would improve gameplay dramatically by making it an instant loss with losing it.
    Don't forget the Byz lost their capital, but this didn't mean their imminent defeat. It was IMHO the beginning of the end, but not the end itself.
    ΕΛΛΗΝΩΝ ΠΡΟΜΑΧΟΥΝΤΕΣ ΑΘΗΝΑΙΟΙ ΜΑΡΑΘΩΝΙ ΜΗΔΩΝ ΧΡΥΣΟΦΟΡΩΝ ΕΣΤΟΡΕΣΑΝ ΔΥΝΑΜΙΝ

Champions of the Greeks the Athenians in Marathon strewed the power of the goldendressed Persians

Yeah but, um, but, uh hum, um.

Good point, but um

I don't have a reply for that.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    Yeah but, um, but, uh hum, um.

Good point, but um

I don't have a reply for that.
    On average, the more centralized a country is, the bigger the loss of capital is.
    And the countries in MTW isn't that centralized.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

The hair proves it... Senior Member EatYerGreens's Avatar

Berlin got attacked in WWII not because it would cause the country to automatically collapse overnight but because Hitler was holed up there at the time and had vowed never to desert them in their time of need. The regime fell through loss of its leader, albeit self-inflicted and not at the hands of the enemy. By all accounts, the majority of the population were glad to see the back of him and couldn't wait to get back to the business of making money.

If it weren't for the fanatics, who had been given a cushy number in France and refused to let go of it easily, it might have ended months earlier than it did and before their borders had been crossed, because the top generals could see that American involvement meant it was all over. Anyone who voiced such thoughts usually got themselves sent to the Russian front for their trouble, so it dragged on for as long as he was alive and still issuing orders. The German generals who had tried to end the insanity a year or so previously, by assassinating him, were all caught and executed, with the exception of Rommel, who, as a former national hero, was granted the 'special privilege' of being permitted to shoot himself and side-step the ignominy.

The significance of Constantinople was its crossroads-like position, where trade routes from all over the world converged, making it a good place to do business. Such wealth-generation creates jobs and draws in population, who all end up paying tax. The ability to do that, plus take a cut of the profits being made undoubtedly propped up the empire but centralising of administration, technological know-how and military expertise there must have made it a terminal blow, for the Byz, when it fell. The people are the empire and losing access to the best of them has got to hurt.

As Advo-san said, it didn't end it overnight; they didn't throw up their hands and jack it all in straight away but loss of both the key personnel and the cash-cow limited what they could do about it. The impregnable defences they'd built themselves did them no favours if they ever did plan on taking it back and, in any event, the Turks now had the financial resources to fund a force strong enough to prevent them even getting close enough.

I'll have to go and read up on how the Turks managed to capture the city at all, one of these days.

EYG

Gibbon gives a good account of the fall of Constantinople. The main reason it fell was that out of the god knows how many people lived there, only a measely 4000 volunteered to man the defences, so storming them was a piece of pie. The Turks also had a couple of massive custom built cannons made that fair demolished the walls in no time at all. Overall though, Constantinople, like Rome before it, fell because noone could be bothered to do anything about it.

Erh, I thought Constantinople fell to the Crusades. The pope and the Patriarch of Constantinople excommunicated each other and thus the crusades, which initially were sent to defend the Byzantine Empire from the Seljuk Turks, turned on the Byzantine Empire and captured Constantinople forming the short lived Catholic Latin States of Greece.

Yeah it fell twice, 1204 and 1453 if my memory serves me right

It fell twice, eh?

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

I think you might be onto something. Desgnating a capital would add some deapth I think :) If it were to get captured perhaps your provinces could lose a lot of loyalty and political influence until your capital is recaptured or your redesignate it or something.

It might also be realistc if your provinces dread your king less if he is being besieged somewhere too. Some ambitious nobles might take such an opportunity to make a political coup at such a time. Unless maybe your sons are still free.... maybe the more royals that are besieged the less loyal your provinces could become.
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

Hobbilars' whisperer... Member Advo-san's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens
    The significance of Constantinople was its crossroads-like position, where trade routes from all over the world converged, making it a good place to do business. Such wealth-generation creates jobs and draws in population, who all end up paying tax. The ability to do that, plus take a cut of the profits being made undoubtedly propped up the empire but centralising of administration, technological know-how and military expertise there must have made it a terminal blow, for the Byz, when it fell. The people are the empire and losing access to the best of them has got to hurt.

As Advo-san said, it didn't end it overnight; they didn't throw up their hands and jack it all in straight away but loss of both the key personnel and the cash-cow limited what they could do about it. The impregnable defences they'd built themselves did them no favours if they ever did plan on taking it back and, in any event, the Turks now had the financial resources to fund a force strong enough to prevent them even getting close enough.

I'll have to go and read up on how the Turks managed to capture the city at all, one of these days.
    Try Wikipedia, IMHO is better even than my college greek history books. If you care for my opinon, it is more of a mistery how on earth the City fell to the Francs than to the Turks. "Divided, we fall", I suppose...
    ΕΛΛΗΝΩΝ ΠΡΟΜΑΧΟΥΝΤΕΣ ΑΘΗΝΑΙΟΙ ΜΑΡΑΘΩΝΙ ΜΗΔΩΝ ΧΡΥΣΟΦΟΡΩΝ ΕΣΤΟΡΕΣΑΝ ΔΥΝΑΜΙΝ

Champions of the Greeks the Athenians in Marathon strewed the power of the goldendressed Persians

In that I am never threatened in a campaign (except for occassionally over reaching expansionism) I don't see what Capitols would do for the game except make the AI factions collapse even sooner.