Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Villain (spoilers)

Default Favorite Villain (spoilers)

Yes... I mean favorite bad guy from a video game. Not anything else.

And I say spoilers because to really know about a villain, don't you have to beat the game first?

Genre does not matter (but if I may be so bold, in my experience, only RPGs have bad guys with a personality).

Here is a run-down of all the big boys I can think of right now:

Kefka: my personal favorite from FF VI. Great nut-job. Cool theme song and the laugh vweee he he he!

Sephiroth: ...not such a fan of this one, but he does seem to be popular. I can't really remember what he was trying to do though. Sure, he killed Aeris...but Kefka wiped out towns (where you did not know anyones name though).

Sin: A gigantic watery ball is not a bad guy. And who is Yu-Yevon again?

Malak: Now THIS was a fun bad guy. Not only did he betray you, but he was also evil. Sweet. And he looked cool.

Krellian: from Xenogears. I really liked the character "If there is no God, I will create one with my own hands!" Nice quote...but not quite as much fun as Kefka.

Albedo: from Xenosaga I&II. Nuts, like Kefka...but I still don't really understand what his purpose was. Besides hurting MOMO.

Lavos: Chrono Trigger. He is a big evil rock. With a personality to match. Great game. Lousy villain (but his summoner was cool).

Okay, so those are my main ones right now.

Kefka is my favorite just because I think he is funny (running away and the 'son of a submariner' thing).

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite Villain (spoilers)

I would have to go with Revolver Ocelott from MGS and MGS2. It's interesting because he is a villian in MGS, but he's more like an anti-hero in MGS2. And it's very interesting to see his personality in the past in MGS3

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

papacy in medieval

Siefer.
    Viva La Rasa!!!

Does Garett count? From Thief?
    Last edited by discovery1; 07-23-2005 at 16:39.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by discovery1
    Does Garett count? From Theif?
    It's Thief oh damn your bones. Favorite villain has to be Shodan from the System Shock series. It really is my favorite villain altogether, be it movie/book/game. Brilliant stuff.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

My favourite villain?

CBR, from the mizu clan!

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Favorite Villain (spoilers)

Well, I'll sound like a retarded japonese teenager, but Sephiroth pwns. Yeah sure, he did not destroy a whole city (I think he does, but in Clad's dreams). On the other hand, he's trying to destroy the whole world, which is *way* cooler than just blowing up cities. Plus he's totally crazy (he thinks he's a god, and things like that).

Yet Kafka is great too. I likes the way he laughs before murdering/poisoning/torturing people. He's probably more evil than Sephiroth, but he's not as charismatic (the fact he's wearing clown's dress doesn't help)

The guy from FF9 is similar to Sephiroth, and so deserves to be mentioned. Like Sephiroth, he has a great opinion of himself, until he understands he was just a toy in the hands of the Real Bad One. Then he goes crazy and destroy everything.

The bad boy from Eternal Darkness, Pius Augustus, is funny too, simply because he starts as a nice and proud Roman officier, and ends up as a devil-ish undead wizard. He got a special award for killing Charlemagne and trying to destroy the Earth.

I like many of the baddies from Warcraft 3 (Arthas, Sylvanas, Illidan). They all have a different quest, and don't really care about what's happening around them (everyone is dying, the world is about to be destroyed). Then again, most of them were at first nice heroes willing to save everyone.

Jon Irenicus from BGII. I don't really understand what he's looking for, but he just sounds weird as hell.
    Last edited by Meneldil; 07-23-2005 at 10:29.

Malak, hell, he's got a name that reminds me of Rasta.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Favorite Villain (spoilers)

The bad boy from Eternal Darkness, Pius Augustus, is funny too, simply because he starts as a nice and proud Roman officier, and ends up as a devil-ish undead wizard. He got a special award for killing Charlemagne and trying to destroy the Earth.
    Yeah he was an awesome character. I loved they way he referred to humans as "flesh and bones".

Sephiroth would be my all time bad guy though. Such a great storyline for his character made me actually fear and respect him, and i got quite scared whenever i had to battle him! This was a blinking long time ago though...in my young teens.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Kefka is best. Not only is he funny, he was also successful. He actually managed to destroy the world.

What other good bad guys, let's see...

Irenicus (BG2) - Traditional villain, but damn, could he do it! Not a little of his charisma was thanks to the excellent voice actor.

The G-Man (Half-life 1&2) - His role isn't really that of an antagonist, but the way he's just following Freeman around showing up everywhere and then makes that speech in the end of of the games is just loveably creepy.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Pius Augustus was great, mainly because you start off playing as him and he kills off so many of the other playable characters. Kreia from Kotor 2 was also excellent due to the constant complex character involvement; Darth Sion was kinda spooky too.
    Kudos to the villains in Mafia too, extra gripping because the final ones started off as friends.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Default Re : Re: Re : Favorite Villain (spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind
    Sephiroth would be my all time bad guy though. Such a great storyline for his character made me actually fear and respect him, and i got quite scared whenever i had to battle him! This was a blinking long time ago though...in my young teens.

Yeah, but unhappilly, he must be the easiest last boss ever met in a videogame. He usually dies after a few seconds of fighting. Let's hope he'll get some training for the next Final Fantasy movie

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Re: Re : Favorite Villain (spoilers)

Revolver from MGS series
    Sion from KotOR II

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Well Meneldil, I must say I am pleased that I am not the only FF fan here. But...did Sephiroth never hit you with 'supernova' or whatever his scaling attack was? He is one of the few bosses around (Kefka can't do this for example) that scales his hit point and attack power to be able to smack you around.

I just barely beat him the one time I fought him. I was over confident and Yuffie and Barret were killed by cloud after cloud was confused by 'supernova'. Good thing Sephiroth hit cloud so he did not kill himself being confused.

Overall though, I must say I am impressed at the number of people who have played FF VI. It is my favorite RPG of all time, but...not exactly easy to access. Stupid FF Anthalogy (or the other one I can't remember) plays like crap. Must load before every *@# attack. Who thought THAT was a good idea?

And since Eternal Darkness was something of a flop, I am amazed to see Pious on here at all. I love the game and I should have put him on here, but I figured it was so esoteric (no, that does not mean tasty ) that I did not bother. *@# scary though...bad game to play for a wuss like me late at night in the summertime...

King of Atlantis...I might have to check that one out. I have not used a Catholic faction yet. I just stick to my Byzantines and Moslems right now...maybe I'll use the HRE since I like an early challange as Byzatines being surrounded.

Azi

P.S. What in the heck does pwns mean? And does asking this make me uncool?
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

It means you're about to be pwned

I would say malak from KOTOR

Quote Originally Posted by discovery1
    Does Garett count? From Thief?
    Garrett was a hero, not a villian.

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak
    P.S. What in the heck does pwns mean? And does asking this make me uncool?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

Default Re : Favorite Villain (spoilers)

Azi Tohak, Sephiroth can't fight against a 2*(Knights of the Round Table+10%power) summoning.
    Then the real last boss (when only Clad is involved in the battle) just die after the first attack.
    Somehow, I have never played FFVI that much, I stopped at the end of the first world. I might start a new game later, because everyone says "FFVI pwns".

And yes, Eternal Darkness must be the scariest game ever. Too bad it was a flop, they'll probably never make a ED II : Sanity's Redemption
    I once tried to contact Silicon Knights, to get some news about that, but all their mail adress is broken.

Bah, every final fantasy villian in history has been righteously creamed by a properly set up player team. That's one of many reasons I stopped playing them.

I think I'll split it between Shodan from the System Shocks and Fawful from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. With those two, at least I knew when they were on the screen, I wasn't going to be bored or wondering why the villian was spending so much time posing.

Personally, I think FF7 was a bit too... munchkin. Think about it... X-Summon, Knights Of The Round, Double Cast, and then put Mimic on the next guy. That's eight (yes, eight) KOTR cast in a single blow.
    If you really want something that you cant kill so easily, try Ruby Weapon. I could never defeat that thing

Good point about the Knights of the Round. My roomate (who had all the RPGs for me to play) loves FF VII...but I just don't want to screw with Chocobos to get Knights of the Round.

And as for Emerald or Ruby? Ummm....no. Thanks, but I'd rather not mess with them.

FF VI is my favorite. I love the soundtrack (almost every song is great I think). The story is nothing so sophisticated as FF VII, but I loved the characters, the number of them, the fact you have to use everyone (my biggest beef with RPGs. If I have 8 characters...why can only 4 be used?).

Xenogears is also highly recommended

Azi
    Mark Twain 1881

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

So many to choose from. In no particular order:

Vladimir Lem from Max Payne 2. "Max, dearest of all my friends". A good villain needs charisma.

Kreia from KOTOR2. I hated her for her morals but respected her. When she died, I felt like a member of my family had died. A villain who was a dark shade of grey, rather than black or white. The HK47 clone in that game would be a close second - a jet black villain in this case.

Saraevok from Baldurs Gate. A pantomime villain, but from the opening cinematic - when he throttles a helpless sibling - I wanted to kill him so intensely, the feeling drove me throughout a meandering 100 hour game.

Irenicus from Baldurs Gate 2. "Time for more ... experiments". Despite being utterly irredeemable, I could not bring myself to hate this guy. Perhaps because despite the terrible grim things he did, he did them seemingly without malice.

Shodan from System Shock 2. Thanks to spoilers, I knew what happened to the Politto lifeform in advance, but it was still a heck of a ride.

Smiling Jack from Vampire Bloodlines. From his deeds, I'd classify him as a villain but one with rockstar charisma. Just doing the tutorial with him was a more vivid experience than playing 95% of other computer games.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with Simon on Vladimir Lem and Kreia. Malak was also nice enough, and you yourself in KOTOR 1.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Imagawa Yoshimoto from Shogun, original Sengoku campaign
    Shodan from SS2
    the Antarans from MOO2
    Trias from Planscape Torment (a minor boss, but I still hated him; voice by 'Q' from Trek, so maybe that's why)
    UberDiablo from D2X (Baal is a whiney wuss)
    Inferno from Soul Calibur original for Sega Dreamcast, Arcade Mode
    Sarovok and Irenicus from BG and BG2
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

The Sword of Rome Member Marcellus's Avatar

Default Re: Favourite Villain (spoilers)

Mine would be Gannon(dorf) from the Legend of Zelda. He has a great evil laugh.
    "Look I’ve got my old pledge card a bit battered and crumpled we said we’d provide more turches churches teachers and we have I can remember when people used to say the Japanese are better than us the Germans are better than us the French are better than us well it’s great to be able to say we’re better than them I think Mr Kennedy well we all congratulate on his baby and the Tories are you remembering what I’m remembering boom and bust negative equity remember Mr Howard I mean are you thinking what I’m thinking I’m remembering it’s all a bit wonky isn’t it?"

-Wise words from John Prescott

Oda Nobunaga as portrayded in Samurai warriors and Onimusha 1 (and maybe 3 never beat that).

Pius Augustus come on, can anyone argue.

Kombain Nicoladze and Phillip Mase from Splinter Cell 1, they were both great in their own ways.

Darth Nihulus the other bad guy from KOTOR 2. Sion and Traya were more annoying than menacing.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Favorite has to be Revan.
    Then it would be Ganon...

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Smiling Jack from Vampire Bloodlines. From his deeds, I'd classify him as a villain but one with rockstar charisma. Just doing the tutorial with him was a more vivid experience than playing 95% of other computer games.
    Smiling Jack is an excellent, extremely likeable character, but he's no villain though.

And personally, I like hunting Khergits in Mount & Blade.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Vladimir Lem from Max Payne 2. "Max, dearest of all my friends". A good villain needs charisma.
    Agreed.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

I was gonna go with Janette from vamp bloodlines

I guess who's villain and whos goodguy depends on your choices and pov in that game dunnit?
    I mean really, everyone is evil.
    Viva La Rasa!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast