Thread: Cavalry Archers you either hate em or love em

I just wanted to now if you like cav archers and how do you use them. I personally like them alot for when i am both attacking and defending. I like when i am defending when the attackers have slow moving units i just harras them with my cav archers and with offense to lure them out of the defenders hiding place. How do you use Cav Archers?

------------------
    HnT
    HnT

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

I like to put them into wedges, and alongside wedges of arquebusiers, charge head-first into the enemy formation. This usually results in my CA breaking through the enemy lines and killing their taisho pretty quickly. On occasion, the arquebusiers will do the taisho-killings. This tactic works best when used with 8 CA and 8 Arquebusiers; and this is a good all-weather attack force.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Get in them around the flanks,while the rest of my army inches its way forward.
    always an idea to use higer honour cav archers,because lower honour CA do tend to turn tail and bugger off from the fight ,if moved around too much.
    That's it.

Quote Originally posted by The Scourge:
    Get in them around the flanks,while the rest of my army inches its way forward.
    always an idea to use high honour cav archers,because lower honour CA do tend to turn tail and bugger off from the fight ,if moved around too much.
    [/QUOTE]

That's it.

I was going to edit ,not quote myself.Aw well ,who cares.
    That's it.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I will try some of these out in my next online bout. :>

------------------
    HnT
    HnT

hmmmmm vanya u use 8 Ca and arq's????

WHAT?>? have u ever played online?!

???
    O4B / Masked

Oh yeah, baby! All the time!

Monks, Nodachis, Naginata... oh my! They stand not a chance against this army... not even in the rain! I make them all honor ZERO for maximum efficacy. Nothing troubles a pursuing samurai more than to see scummy peasants regroup after a rout and whack the butts of their heavy weapons across their foreheads!

And, an all-arquebusier army is UNBEATABLE when doing the Eunuch Rush: have your arqs fire 1-2 volleys AT EACH OTHER first, and THEN charge the enemy in a formless mass. The friendly volleys are for motivation... like when a boxer clubs his own head before a fight to 'get the juices flowing'...

Form creates weakness... formlessness, like a blob of disorganized peasants, have no weakness due to its lack of form!

Try it, and ye'r enemies shall reap the whirlwind!

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

I played this guy named David Mori who uses only Cav Archers. I can't rememeber if I won or lost but his army stuck with me.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Very interesting i once played a guy kind of like that just he had a few WM but i think i killed him with my yc.

------------------
    HnT
    HnT

Vanya, thats was really funny -Im still laughing actually.

When I'm defending in provinces with hills or gorges near the centre of the map (e.g. shinano, kaga) I stick cavalry archers well forward to get a good close first look at the enemy, and start raining the arrows down on them right from the word go. As soon as enemy archers get them in range I make them gallop off, to reform close to the main army. In the final stages they become routing unit chasers.

This plan backfired on me badly once though, defending shinano against a uesegi horde. uesugi had MANY units, but the first 16 were the dregs of previous battles. I started letting them have it with my forward archers. But as I started to cut down his low strength units, full strength cavalry reinforcements started to arrive, and this was EARLY in the battle just as the remnants of his first wave had reached mine camped on the southern hillside. Within a few minutes I'd spent most of my arrows and was now facing 400+ YC streaming through the gully. What started out as a balanced defending army turned out BAD with archers out of ammo and insufficient reserves. I lost Shinano, and the campaign.

Yeah i usually use them to take out less armored units like warrior monks. And having a few less No-Dachi and Warrior monks attacking you can never be a bad thing.

------------------
    HnT
    HnT

one thing for sure, i hate them
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I like them,but I try to pair them with monks
    or no-dachi and maybe an ashiguru unit to keep them out of trouble.They seem to be slow to respond to yari cav and need to be carefully watched.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

hmm..I've never heard of CA breaking through anything unless it was already fleeing..sure you don't mean YariCav?

Yeah baby, CA in wedges break thru the enemy lines, alongside the arqu's in wedges too!!!
    Its the formless-ness that does it.

Vanya's post made me larf when I first read it. The man is an inspired madman. Long live the Zombie army!

A brave warrior is but a coward that flees forward...

Yes, Magyar, and we believe you.
    Is that why you send out so many? Hoping they'll all be killed? I'm still learning to use them well, but they're growing on me. (Anyone got a sponge?)

-- B)