Thread: Bug Squashing Help Requested

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Bug Squashing Help Requested

Machine involved P4 Dell Dimension, Nvidia 3d, Direct 9X

RTW 1.0 functioned without problem for c. 150 days. Program was not used for roughly 60 days.

1. When started, initial screens following load (campaign/battle selection, or setup screens for custom battles) had mouse ghosts which never faded, creating a confusing jumble of pulsing arrows all over. When started, custom battles went fine, with no mouse silliness. Problem does not occur with other programs loaded before or subsequent (Dungeon Siege and Alanna for e.g.)

2. In imperial campaign with any roman (no others unlocked yet -- in any fashion), hitting the senate tab caused immediate CTD.

Uninstall/Reinstall done, no luck.

Activision contacted, suggested updating drivers (done), getting 10X (not yet done).

Patches 1.1 and 1.2 were loaded as well.

Both problems still persist. Suggestions?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Default Re: Bug Squashing Help Requested

Well, it's unlikely, but you might have some unwanted spyware on your computer messing this up. Take the time to download webroot spysweeper trial/ spyware blaster, they're the two best free spywayre programs I've seen (and if spyware's not the problem, then at least you'll have some decent protection).

Try defragmenting the disk, running scandisk, and making sure you have all possible programs closed before booting up R:TW. Those are the only things I can think of. Another thing (though unlikely) is make sure that your machine isn't overheating (even though you says other games run fine, you could just be running RTW at a time when heat is high or something). Hope that helps.
    If cockroaches can survive nuclear fallout, then what's in a can of RAID?

Have you installed a mod such as "Completed faction MOD"? Have you modified the game by yourself? May something was mess up. Try to uninstall the game again, and delete manually the game folder. The game folder default position is:
    Code:
    C:\Program files\Activision\Rome - Total War\
    Hope it works!

Welcome to the .Org Seamus Fermanagh!
    Ούτε γαρ άρχειν Ούτε άρχεσθαι εθέλω

Dodgy patch zip installs can also do this if you forget to check the "use folder names" button when unzipping the patch.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

The senate crash is due to dodgy WMP codecs. A reinstall of WMP should fix it.

I was able to solve similar (but slightly different) video problems by setting the program to run as if I had Windows 2000 instead of XP. Cleared it right up.

If you have any other programs runing in the background (even minimized) the mouse ghosts sometimes pop up. But that is just on my computer, so I just make sure all other programs are closed.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

Red face Re: Bug Squashing Help Requested

The only time I got those screen jerky when I mess up with the driver. I think I tried to installed the latest driver (NVidia) but maybe my cheap graphic card cannot fully utilize or support. When I roll back the driver all is okay.

Might help.. dunno ..

Cheers..
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.