Thread: Unlimited Arrows

Default Unlimited Arrows

I know that it is probably hardcoded, but I think it would be a cool feature to have a camel unit for the Parthian's carrying spare arrows for the horse archers.

i understand that at the battle of Carrhae the Roman's were fairly relaxed waiting for the horse archers to run out of arrows, following which they then become fairly useless light cavalry. What happened was that Surenas, the Parthian commander, had a supply train of camels carrying extra arrows so that when the archers ran out they could re-load.

Might be a good idea?

Default Re: Unlimited Arrows

Yeah, another excellent idea. Unfortunately *noooo* its harcoded

That would drive me insane while fighting horse archers anyway

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

well there's no way to implement that new type of 're-ammunitioning-chariot' or so. and then: carhae is only 1 example. an action that woudl only work with an army laying about like that. any army with cavalry would disrupt that tactic: just take out the ammo-chariot since HA wont go near.
    it's a one-trick-pony

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    ... any army with cavalry would disrupt that tactic: just take out the ammo-chariot since HA wont go near.
    it's a one-trick-pony
    I'd like to have seen the woefully inadequite Roman cavalry try to fight their way through the Pathian Catatanks at Carrhae to reach those camels

Given that Cataphracts would be quite handy against most cavalry , they might have been quite able to protect the arrow suppilies against a foe with a strong cavalry presence .
    Given that Steppe warriors typically brought several horses , which seemed to be quite safe from mischief generally , then arrow trains might have been more common than generally assumed by most . At the least , a Steppe warrior would have a few full quivers/cases of arrows on his spare mounts I would imagine . He would have to be a bit thick not too .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

i see what you mean, HA's were probably loaded full. and by one-trick-pony i meant it was only good at carhae. i agree with you it worked at carhae, history agrees with you. but i doubt it would work in All battles. against, say, hannibal or Alexander. especcially Alexander, who was a cav-hugger.

and, talking game aspects: the only way to mod this in is by giving archers/HA unlimited arrows. wich wouldnt always be the case.