Thread: Massive Units? -- Need Help

Capital of the New Spartan Empire -- Sparta

Default Massive Units? -- Need Help

Well we finally have a newer PC, so I can support much larger battles & 100% settings with no lag whatsoever.

So I'm curious, I know it was discussed here previously, but I searched the forums & it seems to be gone.

How where do I download the population editor, or how do I modify my units, & those of my enemies, to 300 a piece?

I know more is possible, 500 has been done, but I only want 300 manned foot troop units for myself, & my enemies, make the game more fun.

Any help?

I went to this topic, but they dont have the download links or any of the screen shots left over, so can anyone here send me the tool to do this?

Thanks a lot!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...397#post527397

Default Re: Massive Units? -- Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by Siris
    Well we finally have a newer PC, so I can support much larger battles & 100% settings with no lag whatsoever.
    I don't know about that, but would you mind sharing the specs of your new computer?

Thanks!

AMD Athlon 64-Bit 3200 processor, runs at the equilivant of a 3.2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor.

1GB RAM.

ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB PCI Express video card.

19 in. Flat Screen LCD MAG monitor.

160GB Harddrive.

Soundcard - unknown.

However, for the PC that I am going to build for myself, I'm going to put in these spec's, which can easily run the massive units:

AMD Athlon 64-bit 4800 (4.8 Ghz Intel equilivant), possibly I'll go with a Dual Core processor, which are new & much faster, 80% from what I hear.

2GB Cosair High Performance RAM

Two nVidia 7800 GTX's, 256MB PCI Express SLI video cards running at the same time.

160GB Harddrive.

Sound Blaster Audigy Pro soundcard.

Water Cooled PC case.

19in. LCD MAG monitor.

Microsoft Intelli Optical mouse.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

units:
    descr_unit blahblah.txt
    just change the numbers, it's quite easy. (evrything is expressed in the smallest untis size option)

I did check that out, but I found nothing pertaining to the unit sizes.

If you say that they are all expressed in the smallest unit sizes, then what are those?

These are the only ones I know:

Normal: 40 average size units.

Large: 80 average size units.

Huge: 120 Average size units.

So what is the smallest one then, & which number is it on the export_descr_unit file names of the units?

And, to make the unit larger, do I just add like 180 to their numbers, & with Huge unit settings, the 120 man units will now be 300?

I seriously want some massive battles, particularly like the seige battle on the open part of the Rome Total War box cover, who wouldnt want to fight a battle like that, a true battle.

*the Huge unit settings might be 140, I cant remember, havent played in a week, so either its 140 or 120, but I do know that there are some 240 man units, but I'm talking about normal 120 man units*

-- EDIT --

So here is the Spartan stat's, for example:

type greek hoplite spartan
    dictionary greek_hoplite_spartan ; Spartan Hoplites
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Medium_1
    soldier greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos, 40, 0, 1.3
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, very_hardy
    formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, square, phalanx
    stat_health 2, 0
    stat_pri 16, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr spear
    stat_sec 16, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 3, 9, 5, leather
    stat_sec_armour 0, 1, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground 2, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental 14, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 1220, 460, 130, 190, 1220
    ownership greek_cities

Which number is the one that I add the troops to?
    Last edited by Siris; 07-27-2005 at 18:35.

Spartan hoplites should be limited to 10 men, in order to make it fair for the 300 guys trying to kill them.

So here is the Spartan stat's, for example: type greek hoplite spartan dictionary greek_hoplite_spartan ; Spartan Hoplites category infantry class spearmen voice_type Medium_1 soldier greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos, 40, 0, 1.3
    the bolded number in your quote pertain in the normal unit size.
    Taking as example the spartans we have:
    1. Small size is 20. Derived from normal unit size(=40)*0.5
    2. Normal size is 40.
    3. Big size is 80. Derived from normal unit size(=40)*2
    4. Huge size is 160. Derived from normal unit size(=40)*4

So if you want to play like Leonidas and his 300 Spartans in huge battles you have to edit the quoted line as follows:
    Code:
    greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos, 76, 0, 1.3
    now you will have 304 fearless Spartan hoplites!!
    In addition you will have:
    1. 34 in small size
    2. 76 in normal size
    3. 152 in big size

Note that the division of normal size unit is needed to be a whole number. Don't use normal size number like 75(75*0.5=37.5) or so.
    Ούτε γαρ άρχειν Ούτε άρχεσθαι εθέλω

I have no idea what your talking about on the whole numbers, however, you just solved my problem, so I thank you very much!

As soon as I get the chance on my new PC, I'll try it out.

Heh, can you imagine a phalanx line that extends the entire map? Just do a clean sweep, and you've killed every enemy, they'll have no where to run!

But also, massive seiges here I come!

Oh man I cant wait until I can get on the good PC.

I'm only 18, & I have nearly $900 so far for my own personal PC, however my Dad, he sits on our current good PC for 12+ hours every day, so it is difficult to get on, but my Greek Campaign is coming along so far.

Hehe, I cant wait for battles with 4,000 Armoured Hoplites vs. 4,000 Urban Cohorts, Hastati most likely though lol, but even still, the massacres will fulfil my dreams of RTW!!!!!!!

I'll get some screeny's in here if I can manage to get them in time.

** Edit **

Can you post a few screen's of a Preatorian 300 man unit, & Spartan 300 man unit?

And yes, I was thinking of having armies of only 300 men a piece, like Thermoply, it will make the game more chalanging, & more fun/interesting.
    Last edited by Siris; 07-27-2005 at 19:36.

AMD Athlon 64-bit 4800 (4.8 Ghz Intel equilivant), possibly I'll go with a Dual Core processor, which are new & much faster, 80% from what I hear.

2GB Cosair High Performance RAM

Two nVidia 7800 GTX's, 256MB PCI Express SLI video cards running at the same time.

160GB Harddrive.

Sound Blaster Audigy Pro soundcard.

Water Cooled PC case.

19in. LCD MAG monitor.

Microsoft Intelli Optical mouse.
    Holy crap! How much are you planning to spend on it.

Also, if you are making the unit sizes to 300 or so, you will need to increase the growth rate of the towns to make up for so many people going into your military. I don't know which file this is in but you really should change it. I have heard complaints from people using the huge setting running out of population, especialy if you are playing as a barbarian faction.

There is also the problem of fitting that many people through city streets. You can make the formation really long and skinny, but they sometimes still get stuck and/or go the wrong way you tell them. It is a real pain.

Also, battles take quite a bit longer because of the sheer number of troops.

I just use normal unit settings because of those problems. I don't see how setting the unit size that large would make for a better game experience other than the fact that you see a whole lot more troops.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

I only plan to use some of them, I'm not going to mass produce them no way.

And the few that I'll produce, will be strictly for open plain/field fights, nothing city related.

Basically, I want to try a massive battle in Custom battle, see how it fairs.

As for the population thing, it shouldnt be a problem for me since I'm not going to make that many of them; I'll probably slowly forge one massive land army of them, & let it be that.

I've modded the game so the Romans can now produce the Legionary First Cohorts II, so basically, They out number me at every engagement, but it does make for some nice battles, trying to fend off thousands of Romans with one phalanx wall.

Really, want I want is one massive army, & one heroic battle to fight in Custom battle, to fulfil my dreams of RTW.

** EDIT **

As for the PC, if you know where to buy, you wont get ripped. It will end up costing me around $2,500 total for everything I need, including the chair, desk, printer, speakers, blah the works.

Try purchasing a PC this good at AlienWare or even BestBuy, expect to pay over $3,500 to $4,000 easily.
    Last edited by Siris; 07-27-2005 at 19:48.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

First download Caligula unit editor, I find it much easier to edit units with plus it's harder to make mistakes with it.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

oaty,
    Can you please give a link for Caligula unit editor?
    Thanks
    Ούτε γαρ άρχειν Ούτε άρχεσθαι εθέλω

you could also PM me for my email address, and I'd email it to you. I have it on my desktop because it's invaluable.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Uh, I hate to tell you this but for most things these days dual core won't yield any increase in speed (or an absolute minimum at best). Programs have to be coded to take advantage of a SMP system. For the last ohh twenty years, all consumer applications have been run on single processor platforms, and so nobody has ever bothered to write them to take advantage of dual processors. As of now, the only recently released game that Ican think of that takes advantage of SMP is Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. Where dual core and SMP really shines is with professional software - things like Photoshop etc. have been coded to be SMP aware for years now, but if you aren't going to be using them there isn't a huge ammount of benefit.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is rumoured to take advantage of dual processors, as well as the Unreal 3 engine, but neither of those are exactly close to release.

I'm not saying don't get a dual core system - they're great for some applications, but don't think that just because there are dual cores there is double (or near double) the performance in mainstream home/consumer applications.

My mind is also set on the FX-55, I would get an FX-57, but those cost more, so I'll probably go with the FX-55.

But I'm going to also need water cooling & possibly this phase cooling I've hearad of since the FX-55 runs quite hot, & it will also just be a good idea to have the cooling since I'm going to have so much top of the line parts in there, like the 7800 GTX video cards SLI mode.