Thread: Help: Faction Leader stuck in Messana

Default Help: Faction Leader stuck in Messana

I could really use some help here. I am fairly new to RTW, and I just recently started my first campaign on hard. I am playing as the brutii, and as my thread title says, my faction leader is stuck in Messana. I had planned only a short stay to retrain him and his army before leaving to march on Rome, but it seems the game had other ideas. I can see him on the campaign map, and he is just standing in the middle of Messana. When I click on the city it shows him as govenor, but if I look to see whats in my garrison he doesn't show up. I have tried to order him to leave the city, and when I do the arrow path just shows up as blue each time. I really don't want to lose him, as I have spent a great deal of effort grooming him and making sure he has the best ancilarries I can give him (10 stars, 7 influence, 6 management). Not to mention the fact that he is only in his early 30s and should otherwise offer another 30-40 years of service.

Anyway, that's my sob story and any help would be appreciated.

agitated Member master of the puppets's Avatar
    where destruction lay around me from a fight i could not win

Talking Re: Help: Faction Leader stuck in Messana

whooo *lets out whistle*

glitches like that suck and are really tricky to get around. sometimes getting other generals into the town with wrench him from the confinds of the game or you could try to alter his profile a little to bring him to the forefront (give him retinue ect.), you could paste together some false alliance with a former enemy, give them right of passage so they attack your general.

any of these may work, (the trick is to get the person in question to preform a deliberate action) but if nothing works then put your plea in with the modders, they can probably just transport him or something never know what those bunch can do, i'm not very good with computers.

thats the best advice i can give. hope it helps.
    A nation of sheep will beget a a government of wolves. Edward R. Murrow

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. —1 John 2:9

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default Re: Help: Faction Leader stuck in Messana

Easy work around for this bug.

Right click on your armies tab, find the stuck general on the list, select him(I believe it will select his whole army) and move him any distance you want. He is now unstuck.

Surprised that bug showed up the way it did since from the way you make it sound there were no enemy armies in site wich is what causes this bug.

Out of curiousity, what were action that occureed/happened to this general the turn before and during thisevent
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

I have tried selecting him via the army tab to no avail. He simply stands there looking rather useless. I also tried moving in other generals, extra troops, etc and still no joy. Though, I have yet to try giving the city away to an enemy to see if he gets ejected with the rest of the garisson (will try that later this evening). Before he got stuck, he and his army were on a fleet of ships. On the next turn I simply selected my fleet and right clicked on the city. The ships got to the coast and ran out of move points. When I clicked the end turn button again it showed my general exiting the fleet and entering the city before moving onto the other factions. When it came back to me, my general was stuck in Messana (no, no enemies around as I own the surrounding cities).

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Now that you mention ships....I had a similar bug: When I brought a fleet ashore to disembark and it stopped right before the coast due to depleted movement points, the army stack appeared on top of the ships....and could no longer be moved because when I ended the turn a rebel stack appeared on the adjacent land tile. Pretty annoying because the army couldn't land or attack the rebels (out of any reason whatsoever) and I couldn't select the fleet under the army stack. The army tab was of no help so they stayed there until the end of the campaign (the rebels also did). Which wasn't far away anyway but it still sucked.

Generally movement with armies on fleets seems to be rather bugged, especially with respect to multi-turn landing operations.
    Last edited by Deus ret.; 07-28-2005 at 21:10.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ret.
    Generally movement with armies on fleets seems to be quite bugged, especially in respect to multi-turn landing operations.
    Yes, it would seem there are many aspects of this game that are bugged.....
    I still find myself enjoying it quite a bit however.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Have you tried playing around a bit once you select him with the armies tab? Like trying CTRL A or selecting 1 unit at a time, might be a bit tedious but if it works it works and your general id free again.

Otherwise your just plain out on luck and you'll either have to live with him being on early retirement at your expense or start a new game.

Been a while and I might have had to hit CTRL A to get the stack to move.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war