Thread: CTD against the amazons ??

Default CTD against the amazons ??

Hi everyone

I have played a few campaigns now on RTW 1.2 and last night decided to hunt down the amazons for once. I sent a Julii general with about 10 units on the long trek to their settlement. I was not ambushed on the way and after many turns arrived at the settlement and laid siege to it. After a number of turns the 4 chariots sallied forth and as my troops manouvered into position I suffered a very very rare CTD. It was late but I wanted to fight this battle so reloaded the game and guess what.....................the same thing happened again! This time I called it a night and am now wondering how I should get round the problem. I believe it has been mentioned before that when you reload you should do something different to stop the CTD. Tonight I will attemp to break the siege and see if it helps, otherwise I may be forced to abandon the game. Anyone else had similar problems, especially concerning the amazons?

Any help appreciated.

Thumbs up Re: CTD against the amazons ??

I'm not really sure what a CTD is, but I'm guessing its not good! Anyway, I have experienced no such problems, I too finally made the long trek to the north during my selucid campaign with a mad general, an elephant and all the horse mercs I could pick up, conquered it no problems whatsoever! The annoying thing is that the town is dodgy and theres no little event or anything, not even worth your while getting up there!

Default Re: CTD against the amazons ??

Hi Norxis

Thanks for the reply. For the record CTD = Crash To Desktop, meaning the game just closes down, not a happy experience.

Any further help appreciated.

Master of pie Member sparkmaster4513's Avatar

Egr... where are the amazons?

Tha Amazons are located at the very top of the campaign map, what is essentially north of the Scythian controlled lands. i can't remember the name of the settlement, but it takes a bit of a trek to get there... through forests and stuff.

i've never has RTW crash to desktop...

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God
    Tha Amazons are located at the very top of the campaign map, what is essentially north of the Scythian controlled lands. i can't remember the name of the settlement, but it takes a bit of a trek to get there... through forests and stuff.

From Celt Centurion,

Has anybody ever taken Themistikyra, way up on the North Edge? It rarely is anything but a rebel settlement. SPQR ordered me to take it once in 10 turns. It took 15 just to get close to it! I think that SPQR was setting me up to fail, because when I didn't take it in time, they ordered me to have my faction leader commit suicide. (Then I fell out of grace with them, just as I am sure many of you have.)

Anyway, as the Egyptians, I took it, immediately got booted out, and repeated the process three times. Then I started building what buildings I could, and after about 130 years it actually became a thriving productive city. I actually had a catapult range in it by the time I won. My only problem with it was that even after paying for roads, roads never appeared, and travel was still just as slow.

Have fun. It takes a lot to take and keep Themistikyra, but after a while, it does pay off.

The ones that really irritate me are the ones which are constantly rioting, even with ALL buildings, low taxes, a full garrison, and a good governor, and they still riot, and kill the governor in the process.

Is there anything else one can do besides just evacuate, let them revolt, take it back, and butcher everybody in the process? I really prefer to occupy a settlement, but it NEVER works with rebels.

Member Member swirly_the_toilet_fish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God

Themiskyra (I believe it is the correct spelling)
    "If I were a man I could do so much - travel the stars, learn to play the harp, conquer a foreign country and become a frustrated cartoonist."

But to focus the matter back to the task at hand, no I did not CTD when I had my chance to take down Themiskyra as the Germans. I'm afraid I can't help you there, but maybe it's a computer-specific problem? That's the best surmise I can offer...

But to note, Themiskyra has always been reputed (not in history, of course) to be a buggy place to travel in. So perhaps your computer just aggravated the existent bugs.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Hi everyone

Just an update on the CTD. I reloaded the game last night and broke the siege. A couple of turns later I went back and attacked the settlement after building the rams. Once I got within archer range I got the CTD again.

After reloading once more I broke the siege and took my army away from the settlement. My game has now continued without problem for a further 10 turns.

Within those turns the senate outlawed me. I only had basic garrisons near Rome and 6 generals whilst the SPQR had 2 full stacks. I led my 6 generals, 2 auxilia cavalry, 2 archers and a unit of mercs into the SPQR province. I was immediatley attacked by first one stack and then the other in the same turn. By having my archers with the merc unit in the centre, my auxilia cavalry on the right and my generals on the left I managed to defeat both armies. As each stack came at me I would harrass them on the right with the auxilia cavalry and pepper them with my archers. My generals would move up the left to strike their left side and charge through to their missile/siege units. After continually charging the generals both stacks were routed. The 2nd stack was close as all my general units were down to nearly single figures. The following turns I sieged and took Rome and am delighted to see I can now produce 1st cohorts. In all my games I have never recieved one from the senate. Rome only had about 4 units when I took it and it is the first time I have used huge siege towers. I could not believe it, they are like mobile rocket launchers when you put a cohort on fire at will in them!!

Apologies for going off track.

Last edited by YAKOBU; 07-29-2005 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by YAKOBU
    Hi everyone

Just an update on the CTD. I reloaded the game last night and broke the siege. A couple of turns later I went back and attacked the settlement after building the rams. Once I got within archer range I got the CTD again.

After reloading once more I broke the siege and took my army away from the settlement. My game has now continued without problem for a further 10 turns.

Within those turns the senate outlawed me. I only had basic garrisons near Rome and 6 generals whilst the SPQR had 2 full stacks. I led my 6 generals, 2 auxilia cavalry, 2 archers and a unit of mercs into the SPQR province. I was immediatley attacked by first one stack and then the other in the same turn. By having my archers with the merc unit in the centre, my auxilia cavalry on the right and my generals on the left I managed to defeat both armies. As each stack came at me I would harrass them on the right with the auxilia cavalry and pepper them with my archers. My generals would move up the left to strike their left side and charge through to their missile/siege units. After continually charging the generals both stacks were routed. The 2nd stack was close as all my general units were down to nearly single figures. The following turns I sieged and took Rome and am delighted to see I can now produce 1st cohorts. In all my games I have never recieved one from the senate. Rome only had about 4 units when I took it and it is the first time I have used huge siege towers. I could not believe it, they are like mobile rocket launchers when you put a cohort on fire at will in them!!

Apologies for going off track.

That actually just helped me.

Put cohorts on "fire at will" as they push the tower. That is probably what makes them blast defenders off the walls.

Thank you!!!!!