Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: let´s bring up every petty land claim

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink let´s bring up every petty land claim

i was inspired by the canadian/Denmark thread....

so i tough i´d bring up a grave territorial injustice that must be solved now!

Olivença - Portugal vs. Spain....the grudgematch

it is time....war now!!!...they have our territory...and they might have wmd´s and whatnot...

chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge!!!

"If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Default Re: let´s bring up every petty land claim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4347851.stm

Two South Korean demonstrators have each cut off a finger in protest against Japan's claim to a disputed cluster of islands.
    Where are the fingers, Canada and Denmark? Show us you mean buisness!

I say we here in the US should demand all of Europe as our protectorate, since we are responsible for it's continued existance as a whole bunch of democratic nations.

Beat that!
    Isn't that essentially the case anyway?

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube
    I say we here in the US should demand all of Europe as our protectorate, since we are responsible for it's continued existance as a whole bunch of democratic nations.

Beat that!
    What do you mean? How did the US do anything in Europe besides give us some money after WWII. Oh if you are refering to that little stroll you had late into the war, not thanks to you, you only did that because Japan attacked you.

How about you all give greece ultimate authority since you pretty much owe democracy(and pretty much culture) to us.

Also we would apreciate if the US would give Canada Alaska, since it feels so weird not having completed the northern part of America. It's always an eyesore to look at Canada without Alaska.

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Nah, we'll just take Yukon, BC and Alberta off your hands. You guys don't want them anyways...they can't speak French. Everyone knows if you can't speak French you can't rule Canada
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    How about you all give greece ultimate authority since you pretty much owe democracy(and pretty much culture) to us.
    Incorrect, considering technically speaking there is no democracy on Earth today. A democracy consitutes citizens voting directly on an issue with no elected offices, etc. to make the decisions for them. The system used by Governments today is the Republic, of which the first was ancient Rome (although Plato did write of a Republic in his famous work, The Republic).

What do you mean? How did the US do anything in Europe besides give us some money after WWII. Oh if you are refering to that little stroll you had late into the war, not thanks to you, you only did that because Japan attacked you.
    May I note that if you paid us back the money you owed us from the Aftermath of World War Two, the United States could pay off it's national debt around 3 times I beleive.

Protectorate? Let's just take it as Colonies and grant it the same rights they gave us...Tax the hell out of them, etc.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser of Arabia
    Incorrect, considering technically speaking there is no democracy on Earth today. A democracy consitutes citizens voting directly on an issue with no elected offices, etc. to make the decisions for them. The system used by Governments today is the Republic, of which the first was ancient Rome (although Plato did write of a Republic in his famous work, The Republic).
    Rome = Shepherds without us. We created western culture, they only started where we left off, and didn't really go much further IMO.

Protectorate? Let's just take it as Colonies and grant it the same rights they gave us...Tax the hell out of them, etc.
    I'de like to see you take the Balkans. We are about 10 times more violent then Iraqis when provoked especially at that level(colonization).

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Rome = Shepherds without us. We created western culture, they only started where we left off, and didn't really go much further IMO.
    Are you kidding? Saying the Founding Fathers didn't go much further than the Greeks is like awarding the person who invented Pong with the copyrights to M:TW.

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

I'de like to see you take the Balkans. We are about 10 times more violent then Iraqis when provoked especially at that level(colonization).
    Naw we can just do Hilter did - point the people of the Balkans at each other and just let you fight among yourselves - or do what Tito did - either one will work.

Just get the balkins fighting among themselves again - just look at Bosnia and Kosovo for that example.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

In that case Europe could demand America, since democracy and indsutrialisation wouldn't have been exported to America without Europe.

But this argument has been had 100 times before.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

1. Rome owns Greece. Besides, Celtic and Germanic era culture was way better than Grecian.
    2. We'd have to step up bombing then, carpet bomb the major cities, firebomb the towns, etc, but we'd win.

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Wow. Are you trying to say you could have won World War II without the US. Laughable. The Soviets, without a doubt, could have rolled through Germany without US military intervention (although they could not have done it without Lend-Lease equipment from the US), but that wouldn't exactly leave a democratic Europe now would it.

Who else could possible do it then? The UK? The UK who would have been defeated in 1940-1941 if not for US supplies being sent by the millions of tons?

Nah, you guys should still be thanking us.

What, say thankyou for supplying weaponry to both sides in the First Great Unpleasantness (WW1) thus prolonging the war and eventually causing the Second Great Unpleasantness (WW2)? Say thankyou for not having the gumption to actually get involved in either until something actually happenned to you (in fact Hitler declared war on the US, so you can't even claim the moral high ground of 'saving Europe' there, and the numbers of troops you sent in the closing stages of WW1 were so pitiful as to be useless, the Entente had won it before you lot even arrived).

If the US had done something at the beginning of WW1, rather than just get rich from the slaughter, the Soviets probably wouldn't have even come to power in Russia since they only turned bolshy half way through. The Great war was a huge catylyst for the communist revolution.

I think it's a touch rich claiming to be protectors of Europe when the US's actions caused many of the problems they claim to be protecting us from.

Nevermind though, what's done is done, and I don't particularly want to derail the topic.

This thread is going nowhere.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

And my dad can beat your dad!! This is the Backroom not a kindergarten.

CBR

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

What, say thankyou for supplying weaponry to both sides in the First Great Unpleasantness (WW1) thus prolonging the war and eventually causing the Second Great Unpleasantness (WW2)?
    Maybe you could give us a list of US weapons used by Germany in this war. I never heard of this.

Your country however did supply both sides in our Civil War in which more Americans were killed than in any other war in our history. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Did we change the topic somehow?

I do not quite recall that this is a "Who contributed most to the Allied victory in WWII" thread.

I think we had enough threads that turned into a discussion on that topic.

Bottomline - three options:
    a) stay on topic
    b) start a new thread if you want to discuss an other topic
    c) this thread gets closed

And now - back on topic

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    And my dad can beat your dad!! This is the Backroom not a kindergarten.

CBR
    Good call, seems to be a lot of this about,

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    Did we change the topic somehow?

Blah...blah...blah...

And now - back on topic
    Just kidding. But... back on topic..... in Michigan, that big hunk of land across the Great Lakes that wraps over from Wisconsin is called the Upper Peninsula (or the UP for short). There's not a lot out there except a crapload of wilderness and marsh and mosquitos....

Ohio & Michigan, back when they were both territories, fought a border war. Michigan lost and was forced to TAKE the UP (first time somebody was forced to accept land as punishment for losing a border war, AFAIK).
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

That's not how they taught it in my Early Michigan History class Don...we won and made them keep Toledo
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

in Sweden there are som nutcases that wants Skåne (southern most province) to belong to Denmark or became free of both nations.

pfft, good luck!! haha *laughes in the face of the skåne-patriots*
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Christianaia ! Full independance from Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    Christianaia ! Full independance from Denmark.
    Kali, you danish?

anyway, atleast let Christiania remain as it is.... a ultra-drug-liberal paradise
    www.overspun.com

--Noam Chomsky

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazul
    in Sweden there are som nutcases that wants Skåne (southern most province) to belong to Denmark or became free of both nations.

And with that horrible and incomprehensible Skåne dialect we dont want it back anymore

CBR

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazul

You missed the Republic of Jämtland
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Would this be the appropriate place to inform all of you that in fact, I hold the rightful deed to the Island of Manhatten and I want it returned to me?

You may all begin addressing me as "Your supreme benevolence". Suck up to me properly and I might grant you a fief. The Duke (or Duchess, Prol) of Greenwich Village title is still wide open. We also have a Sheriff of Battery Park slot opening soon, but that will require some cash deposited to my Swiss bank account...

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Hmm, Manhattan, I thought that was a drink

Bah, Amercia should be thanking us. Without us you'd all be speaking French!

Actually, BDC, without your support for the first 150 years, we'd be speaking Iriquois, if we were speaking anything at all.

Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    You missed the Republic of Jämtland
    oh, thats even more silly!
    www.overspun.com

--Noam Chomsky

Beat that!
    They already are.

*evil laugh*
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast