Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Unit at the com

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Default New Unit at the com

Celtic Galloglass, they look ok but not suited for the time period at all. Gallogladh were not known in Ireland until the mid 13th century in 1247, when an O Donnell chieftain raided Sligo with the help of a chieftain by the name of Mac Summarlaidh. The raid while successful saw both the O Donnell chieftain and Mac Summarlaidh killed.

The first use of the word Gallowglass is in the year 1290, when Turlba O Donnell is recorded using them to overthrow his brother.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 07-28-2005 at 20:55.

Default Re: New Unit at the com

I think it is to compensate for the Egyptian units.

Its almost as bad as having a Roman Legion in medieval warfare(especially for me who love's celtic and British medieval warfare). I like to give CA the benefit of the doubt, but this is mad even for them!

I'm very pleased to see these guys come back. loved them in MTW.

and i think the idea is that even though they might not have been called "gallowglasses" at the time, this kind of warrior existed for a very long period of time in scotland and ireland.

No honestly i like the Gallogladh warrior as well but this is ridiculous

The unit actually looks pretty good. Too bad it's off by 1000 years...

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

He looks cool guys:) i dont care what they are called, these kind of warriors existed whatever they were called, besides Gallowglass sounds cool.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Perhaps this is part of a secret plot to eventually replace all the units in RTW with MTW ones???

Maybe it is simply an example of the histrical accuracy we can expect from BI??

Or may it is the first hint for MTW2???

Nice long sword....No shield ?! ...anyway CA hurryed this unit appearance

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane
    Maybe it is simply an example of the histrical accuracy we can expect from BI??
    Wait for the Clibinarii cavalry and the Francisca Heerbann and... I still think BI is much more historically accurate than RTW.

CA can do better than this, and I believe they have.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Thanks BKB, I was going to go look at this, but now i see it would be a waste of time. Did this type of warrior really exist or are the just completely out of the time line?

The Irish DID have a unit that used two handed swords and wore chainmail, but they wern't called gallowglass (I can't remember what they were called personally-maybe someone ask Ranika?).

I'm just glad that the celts are getting some new units for the expansion and not just having the briton/gaul units from rtw.

Yes, just because the term 'Gallowglass' wasn't used yet, there were still plenty of celts and Brits who used two handed swords.

O ya, Coldfish, they are two handed swords which is the reason they don't have sheilds.

Maybe there will be a 5 armed mystical celtic demon-warrior with 2 long swords AND a sheild.

I think that CA is releasing their units in a worst-first order. I mean they started with preists and IMO the units that they have released have gotten consecutivley better.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

Maybe CA should have a rethink and name their units....
    Guy with a sword
    Guy with a spear
    Guy on a horse
    Wrong name???? Not the end of the World IMO. There is nothing wrong with the unit appearance either

......Orda

Hmmm i think if this was an inaccurate Steppe horse archer or Greek Hoplite alot more people would be annoyed but as it is a smaller known unit many seem not to care.

GallowGlass did not just use two handed swords but also large axes and either way they would not look that way. I said they looked good but not accuarate and quite honestly Celtic warriors (either from Ireland or Scotland) would not have looked like that. I don't know what this unit is but it is not a GallowGlass and looks nothing like a Celtic warrior of Britain of the period.

I have often given CA the benefit of the doubt but this has annoyed me as it really is a slap-dash effort. They will do some good Rome units, maybe some ok Sassanids but the Barbarian factions will get the shaft and some bad units. I would like to proven wrong but i doubt i will.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 07-28-2005 at 23:44.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Well, untill RTR6.0, nobody bothered why roman legions used lorica segmenta (proper name?), instead of chainmail in pre-empire era.

And now, some even complain why RTR6.0 got too realistic by removing such equipment.

Shiny armored legions are fun.

Same for a celtic guy with two-handed sword.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    Hmmm i think if this was an inaccurate Steppe horse archer or Greek Hoplite alot more people would be annoyed but as it is a smaller known unit many seem not to care.

GallowGlass did not just use two handed swords but also large axes and either way they would not look that way. I said they looked good but not accuarate and quite honestly Celtic warriors (either from Ireland or Scotland) would not have looked like that. I don't know what this unit is but it is not a GallowGlass and looks nothing like a Celtic warrior of Britain of the period.

I have often given CA the benefit of the doubt but this has annoyed me as it really is a slap-dash effort. They will do some good Rome units, maybe some ok Sassanids but the Barbarian factions will get the shaft and some bad units. I would like to proven wrong but i doubt i will.
    It's early days yet, there may possibly be an inaccurate HA unit. Though I would prefer a totally historic game full of accurate units I will be happy with something that looks ok and plays well. Only in replays does zooming in on units come into play anyway

......Orda

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

I'll be looking forward to the Swiss Pikemen next week.

CBR

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    I'll be looking forward to the Swiss Pikemen next week.

CBR

Tsk...tsk...

Helvetic Pikemen surely
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Swabian Swordsmen would be nice too...

Thumbs up Re: New Unit at the com

bah! I think its about the fun too. As people have said on other posts, if this game was totally realistic/historically accurate, it would probably be a lot worse! I'm sure any minor annoyance I have about using the wrong name/wrong uniform will disappear as soon I see those celtic warriors cleavin' people up on the battle field!

Quote Originally Posted by player1
    Well, untill RTR6.0, nobody bothered why roman legions used lorica segmenta (proper name?), instead of chainmail in pre-empire era...
    I did , and I modded them out of my own game pronto .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Yo, gallowglasses were used in Macbeth by Shakeyspeare, and that was 12th century. ...Just an interesting tidbit to know. Doesn't change the fact that BI is about 700-800 years off-time though.

Thanks for informing us so I didn't waste internet time going to see it.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Can't wait to the Highland Clasmen to appear!!!
    Or, the Templar Knights!
    Or even the Knights of St John!!!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Though it's sad these units arent right, i must admit it is a HUGE improvement on vanilla, where all barbs are shirtless guys with spears.

So now that i think about im happy with this new unit.

Can't wait to the Highland Clasmen to appear!!!
    Or, the Templar Knights!
    Or even the Knights of St John!!!
    If you look at the Gamespy screenshots there are some guys that look like crusaders.

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/74...g_2814953.html

Also look at the flags, it is like an iron cross.

That gallowglass unit definatly looks the business. I like the look of that unit very much.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Hey, atleast it's not a priest with a club, get over it. Atleast a guy with a giant freaking sword makes sense. I don't think they should be called Gallowglasses though, but then again they didn't field whole standardized units either.

A giant freaking sword would be a good status symbol for any warrior. I mean, what's a better universal symbol for power as a huge sword? I don't think the idea for guy running around with one giant sword first appeared in 1200 AD.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 07-29-2005 at 12:58.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

ahistoric, but the skin is OKE. we just change the name and all is fine

We do not sow.

Description on the BI site says something like "historicaly warfare on Ireland and Scotland didn't change for centuries" and claims Gallowglass, or similar type of warrior was used for 1000 years.
    Is this true?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast